Visit MPB Visit MPB Visit MPB

Updates are ready for your computer.

mowog
Posted 26/06/2010 - 17:51 Link
"Updates are ready for your computer". Every time I switch the frickin' thing on... Updates are ready for my computer! - I click the message, allow the updates to be installed. Restart the computer. All fine and dandy. Next day.. "Updates are ready for your computer".
There has never been a time when updates were not ready for my computer, whenever I've switched the bleedin' thing on!. Today, updates were ready for my computer, IMMEDIATELY AFTER I JUST INSTALLED THE LAST ONES!

Sometimes, Microsoft really gets on yer thrupenny bits!
No man is worth his salt, who has not been banned from at least one Forum, and two Flickr groups.

Mowog.
johnwhit
Posted 26/06/2010 - 18:03 Link
I wouldn't mind the updates so much if they got them fully sorted before release. In the last 12 months I've lost all Internet connectivity twice due to MS incompetence. First time with Zone Alarm and on the last set of updates with AVG anti-virus link scanner. It's difficult to sort out when you don't have an internet conection

John
PPG link

In LBA hiatus.
Algernon
Posted 26/06/2010 - 18:21 Link
I'm rapidly losing trust in XP Pro. It found problems the other day and ran Scandisk at startup fixed/messed up a few files. Audigy souncard wouldn't work, so I went back via restore about two weeks. Still problems so I went right back to March and it's still not right. What use is restore if it doesn't restore?

I'd always put off SP3 but did it in April, but it never asked me to do it again? so I don't know if it's installed properly. Too much stuff on the computer to reinstall everything.

When I get this fixed I'm going to image the C: partition once a month at least then I know if I go back, I have gone back.

Algi
Half Man... Half Pentax ... Half Cucumber

Pentax K-1 + K-5 and some other stuff

Algi
snappychappy
Posted 26/06/2010 - 18:26 Link
Sounds like a good excuse to upgrade the PC to me. Only this time get windows 7, sorted. Have you checked that the update has installed properly, it may be the same one each time trying to install correctly.
Algernon
Posted 26/06/2010 - 19:49 Link
I've just spent an hour installing all the Creative Audigy stuff and still no sound. I'll remove it all again tomorrow and see what happens.

I've recently bought a new computer with Windows 7 on it but too much stuff doesn't work properly on it, particularly a Logitech Marble mouse , so I just use that machine as an extra backup of all my all my SDHC cards. It's also got a Seagate eSATA(3GB/s) drive on it so I keep that in sync with the HD and just move the eSATA drive around if I need to.

I can't believe all the USB2 External Drives still being sold? eSATA is 6x faster and the drive inside a USB2 enclosure is a SATA drive anyway. Just a SATA cable and power lead poked out of the box would allow a SATA drive to be connected that runs at the same speed as the main HD instead of the measly 12-20MB/s that USB2 runs at.

Algi

Algi
Gwyn
Posted 26/06/2010 - 19:52 Link
Windows 7 and Microsoft Security Essentials. I am very happy with them both.
My computer does upgrades on shut down, so only occasionally does it slow down start up - thought the last one did by a couple of seconds.
The Netbook does upgrades when I tell it to as it isn't on regularly enough to upgrade by schedule.
johnriley
Posted 26/06/2010 - 19:56 Link
Yes, Windows 7 has been as stable and trouble free as xp, which itself caused me no problems.

All the 32 bit programs are still running just fine. Even Photoshop 7, which is getting a bit old now, runs perfectly well.
Best regards, John
simonkit
Posted 26/06/2010 - 20:58 Link
Windows 7 gets the thumbs up from me too, PC seems to run quicker than it did with XP, less stuff interfering I think

Simon
SteveF
Posted 26/06/2010 - 23:14 Link
Another happy Windows 7 user here. Used to be on XP Pro, didn't have Vista.
johnriley
Posted 27/06/2010 - 07:18 Link
To go back to the original post, there do seem to have been lots of updates coming through over the past couple of days.

I guess if they are necessary it's better that we should have them!
Best regards, John
Technoblurb
Posted 27/06/2010 - 08:40 Link
Microsoft have coined the phrase "Patch Tuesday" the second Tuesday of each month, where they release a bulk pack of patched. A note for Algi, Microsoft are stopping all support for any XP system that does not have SP3 installed after next month.

Regarding Logitec marble mice, I have three of these at work and they all seem quite happy with Windows 7, have you downloaded the latest SetPoint software link
Algernon
Posted 27/06/2010 - 09:43 Link
Technoblurb wrote:
Microsoft have coined the phrase "Patch Tuesday" the second Tuesday of each month, where they release a bulk pack of patched. A note for Algi, Microsoft are stopping all support for any XP system that does not have SP3 installed after next month.

For an OS that's 10 years old quite unbelievable that they are still fixing bugs. They should pay us for the time spent watching the updates being done I'll have to check two PC's and one Toshiba laptop to see if they are SP3.

I've a small free program running called Netmeter and it shows you a graph of the DL speeds. Even on a 10meg cable MS updates are usually very slow. Netmeter doesn't seem to work with Win 7 and the developer has stopped work on it. Pity MS don't buy it and include it with Windows also shows any malware sending out info.

Technoblurb wrote:

Regarding Logitec marble mice, I have three of these at work and they all seem quite happy with Windows 7, have you downloaded the latest SetPoint software link

Thanks I did DL from there a few months ago, but it looks like a new release on the 8th June so I'll give it a try. The problem was that the "Page Down" and "Page Up" buttons didn't work which makes the computer useless for looking through photos with ACDSee and probably Farstone. The daft thing was that it gave a list of actions that you could assign to the buttons, but PD and PU were missing. I use the Logitech Cordless Optical Trackman with the laptop, nowhere near as good as the Marble mouse, but cordless so better for a laptop. I might try that on Win 7 if the Marble still doesn't work. Then I need to hack the taskbar to make it work as in XP.

I still prefer Winfile from NT4 over Explorer. It works in a fashion on Win 7 and XP, but I wish MS would bring it back properly. Info about usage here and latest updated version here

I'm surprised at all the people saying they are happy with Win 7 even though it isn't compatible with Pentax software I bet all the ones who bought a K20D instead of a K-7 so that they could have tethered shooting aren't saying that

Algi

Algi
jon.dc
Posted 27/06/2010 - 13:20 Link
OH how I love my mac and do not miss PC's one bit.

At work I still use a PC and have to update it regularly, then choose the restart later options as I will at the end of the day. Then the restart window constantly appears all day long. So why bother with a restart later question if you are going to keep getting asked to restart!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Anvh
Posted 27/06/2010 - 13:59 Link
jon.dc wrote:
Then the restart window constantly appears all day long.

You can change that in the register
Stefan
Comment Image

K10D, K5
DA* 16-50, DA* 50-135, D-FA 100 Macro, DA 40 Ltd, DA 18-55
AF-540FGZ
Dangermouse
Posted 27/06/2010 - 14:38 Link
Regarding stopping support for pre-SP3 XP machines, judging by their previous approach this will just mean that you'll have to install SP3 before it will allow you to update anything else.
Matt

Shooting the Welsh Wilderness with K-m, KX, MX, ME Super and assorted lenses.

Add Comment

To leave a comment - Log in to Pentax User or create a new account.