Photo Critique - a tutorial

terje-l

Link Posted 27/06/2010 - 21:49
Some time ago, on the Norwegian forum foto.no , I came across an article on Photo Critique by the Norwegian photographer and author Magnar Fjørtoft. The article caught my interest, and by permission from the author I have translated the article to English.

After experiencing a few "incidents" in the Your Photos section, where discussions about posted images turned to a discussion about photo critique, I think the article could be of interest for members on this forum.

The article can be downloaded from my homepage in Word format. I am not fully satisfied with the language, and I'm working on a revised translation, so any suggestions are welcome by PM.

Please let me know if you have problems with the link, or if the format is unsuitable for you. Send your email address by PM and I will send the article directly.

I don't imply that we should start using Magnar's ideas to the full in our discussions. But I feel confident that most of us could pick up a few pointers, both as critics and receivers.

Hope you find it interesting.
Best regards
Terry

K20D, Optio I10, DA 18-55 1:3.5-5.6 AL II, A 1:1.7/50, D FA 1:2.8/100 Macro, Sigma 70-300 1:4-5.6 APO DG Macro, Pentax AF 360FGZ

johnriley

Link Posted 27/06/2010 - 23:16
I have read the article and can confirm that it contains a lot of good common sense advice.
Best regards, John

wadna

Link Posted 28/06/2010 - 08:07
I think we can all learn from that article.
I would love to see more incisive, thought provoking critiques of photos posted here.
Regards, Ian.

Hardgravity

Link Posted 28/06/2010 - 08:15
Could the article (when Terry's happy with the translation) become a sticky in the Your Photos section?

That way nobody has an excuse not to know about it.
Cheers, HG

K110+DA40, K200+DA35, K5+Tammy 18-250, a bag of lenses, bodies and other bits.

Mustn't forget the Zenits, or folders, or...

I've some gallerieshere CLICKY LINK! and my PPG entries.

CoDa

Link Posted 28/06/2010 - 14:49
Good idea HG
Colin

“Nobody made a greater mistake than he who did nothing because he could do only a little.”
Edmund Burke (1729 – 1797)

jon.dc

Link Posted 28/06/2010 - 20:12
When I was study photography at college they gave us a tutorial labeled "deconstructing images" to use in helping to understand other peoples work.

I have scanned it and uploaded to here. Its a bit harsh but still readable.
Add a Comment
You must be registered or logged-in to comment.