Update on new APS-C apparently

theonenadeem

Link Posted 25/05/2020 - 12:46
A remarkable achievement, low tech but highly innovative. If indeed this camera is based around a K7 , (As compact as a prosumer camera can get , superb ergonomic) but with additional dials will make the camera slightly bulkier and add an oversized , high quality pentaprism full frame equivalent viewfinder, Yes may be larger than a K7 , but still compact. I consider the increase in size of the Pentaprism viewfinder , will attract new people to the Pentax brand. Also add the improvements of that age old bugbear..improvements in autofocus tracking and Pentax is onto a winning camera.

Regards

idontcare

Link Posted 12/07/2020 - 20:16
They now claim to have a reveal slated for some time in September 2020. Somewhat official i suppose.
On a personal note i am not expecting a whole lot for the new Pentax aps-c
camera. The last few news bits officially from Ricoh were more or less about aesthetics. 105% ovf coverage due to better glass tempering will serve what purpose? I have 0.45x filter end lenses that do the same thing.
Last Edited by idontcare on 12/07/2020 - 20:31

HarisF1

Link Posted 12/07/2020 - 20:34
idontcare wrote:
They now claim to have a reveal slated for some time in September 2020. Somewhat official i suppose.
camera. The last few news bits officially from Ricoh were more or less about aesthetics. 105% ovf coverage due to better glass tempering will serve what purpose?

The larger OVF is a good choice as a user feature. In some way it's a reward for the classic photographers who have stuck with the brand for so long. The objective is to bring back the love of shooting.

idontcare

Link Posted 12/07/2020 - 20:35
HarisF1 wrote:
idontcare wrote:
camera. The last few news bits officially from Ricoh were more or less about aesthetics. 105% ovf coverage due to better glass tempering will serve what purpose?

The larger OVF is a good choice as a user feature. In some way it's a reward for the classic photographers who have stuck with the brand for so long. The objective is to bring back the love of shooting.

Fair enough. Thank you.

Jonathan-Mac

Link Posted 13/07/2020 - 12:41
A bigger OVF on an APS-C DSLR is a big thing. The main selling point of a DSLR over a mirrorless camera is it's optical viewfinder, but many suffer from being small and dim, especially APS-C. I think it could be a great way for Pentax to stand out from the other remaining DSLR manufacturers.

Other than that I don't expect too many major changes. A sensor upgrade is definitely due and will probably be to the 26MP one that's around, which I understand should give better high ISO results if not much else. The usual non-specific AF upgrades will be there.
Pentax hybrid user - Digital K3 & K200D, film 645 and 35mm SLR and Pentax (&other) lenses adapted to Fuji X digital
Fan of DA limited and old manual lenses

idontcare

Link Posted 13/07/2020 - 14:44
Jonathan-Mac wrote:
A bigger OVF on an APS-C DSLR is a big thing. The main selling point of a DSLR over a mirrorless camera is it's optical viewfinder, but many suffer from being small and dim, especially APS-C. I think it could be a great way for Pentax to stand out from the other remaining DSLR manufacturers.

Other than that I don't expect too many major changes. A sensor upgrade is definitely due and will probably be to the 26MP one that's around, which I understand should give better high ISO results if not much else. The usual non-specific AF upgrades will be there.

Most likely. Unless there is some form of exposure sensor in the ovf assembly there wouldn't be any functionality difference to having a brighter and or larger fov ovf.
Pentax's hybrid view finder with AF proposal is interesting, however i suspect that if it does come to fruition that it will be in the next iteration of the K-1.
I don't have any particular sense of what sensor Pentax will be using if at all for their new aps-c. However they are known for taking up stock from old production runs. Therefore that is most likely where one should look. Probably an IMX571BQR sensor would be my best guess and at in the "new" so to speak the Samsung isocell sensor as far as affordable components go. The current sensor development trend seems to be pulling away from BSI and all the cross talk problems.
Last Edited by idontcare on 13/07/2020 - 14:54
Add a Comment
You must be registered or logged-in to comment.