Update on new APS-C apparently

LennyBloke

Link Posted 16/05/2020 - 10:22
pschlute wrote:
MrB wrote:
Quote:

K1 has the best tilting screen and has been around for 4 years now.

In what way(s) do you consider it to be the best, Peter?

Philip

Because it is fully articulating. So in addition to the 90 degree viewing angle when looking down on the screen from above, you have 45 degree angle from below and from both left and right.. The last two are very handy when the sun is behind you so you can stop reflections on the screen.

Prior to owning a K1 I saw it's articulating screen as an over-elaborate gimmick that I would not use. How wrong I was, its flexibility allows you to use it in almost unlimited positions - I would certainly miss it if the next FF model removed it!
LennyBloke

ilovesaabs

Link Posted 16/05/2020 - 11:05
Until the advent of the articulating screen I wouldn;t have given it a second thought....it is useful in a lot of applications.

If the K-new APS-C appealed to me then the uses I would have planned for it do not require a tilting screen.

As long as the K-1 update retains it then that is good.
AKA Welshwizard/PWynneJ
Assorted Pentax/Nikon/Mamiya stuff

Nigelk

Link Posted 16/05/2020 - 11:22
I agree with Mannesty, it would be great to have inbuilt focus stacking.
The bigger view finder view will be welcome, personally I can't see the problem with Pentax staying as a DSLR maker, I suspect the main part of the market will go mirrorless, that doesn't mean there won't be room in the market for the DSLR for some time yet. It will probably stabilise at a comparatively small percentage of the total market.

Gwyn

Link Posted 16/05/2020 - 16:58
The reception of the new camera is luke warm to say the least on many Photo websites.
They wonder why Pentax has taken so long to produce just another DSLR, when they have had years to work on making it something really special.
I hope when the final specs are finally announced they are proved wrong, but somehow I doubt it.
I am not convinced it will be worth me spending my savings on.

MrB

Link Posted 16/05/2020 - 20:50
Peter and Lenny, I asked because I don't have a K-1, have never handled one, and am not inclined towards full-frame. I am one of those who will be very disappointed if the new APS-C doesn't have an articulated screen, particularly for low shots - as I get older I find no problem in getting down to take a shot, but getting up again..... I have both K-70 and KP, each with a different design of screen, both well-made but probably not as robust as that intriguing mechanism on the K-1. However, the advantage of the K-70 screen over the KP, being fully articulated, is that low down shots are easy to do when the camera is used in portrait orientation, so I would give an extra mark to the K-70 design for that. Is it also possible to do that with the K-1's design?

Philip

Jonathan-Mac

Link Posted 16/05/2020 - 21:01
Am I the only one who has a 90º add-on viewfinder from the film days to use when I really need to do low shooting?
Pentax hybrid user - Digital K3 & K200D, film 645 and 35mm SLR and Pentax (&other) lenses adapted to Fuji X digital
Fan of DA limited and old manual lenses

bforbes

Link Posted 16/05/2020 - 21:22
Jonathan-Mac wrote:
Am I the only one who has a 90º add-on viewfinder from the film days to use when I really need to do low shooting?

No, I've got one, because I like the viewfinder more than the screen.
Barrie
Too Old To Die Young

http://www.pentaxphotogallery.com/artists/barrieforbes

Mike-P

Link Posted 16/05/2020 - 22:09
The K-1 screen is a sort of jack of all trades but master of none ... it tilts every way but not enough to be 100% useful all of the time.

Personally I have 3 camera bodies and all of them have a articulating screen, as I see it I could do without it but it's a handy thing to have on the odd occasion such as macro or when you need to hold the camera up at arms length. I honestly cannot see why some people feel the need to run them down though, if you don't need it then don't use it (it's not like the have any detrimental effect on using the camera) but having it there keeps all the others happy as well and for what, a few extra £ on top of what it would have cost without. It also keeps those people using Pentax and not moving elsewhere. The same goes for touchscreens.

Anyway, my APS-C needs are being met with another make now and I have no interest in the new body, it's too little too late but my K-1 and full frame lenses will be staying with me for the forseeable future because it's a great camera.
No equipment list here but thanks for taking an interest. My Flickr

pschlute

Link Posted 17/05/2020 - 01:14
MrB wrote:
However, the advantage of the K-70 screen over the KP, being fully articulated, is that low down shots are easy to do when the camera is used in portrait orientation, so I would give an extra mark to the K-70 design for that. Is it also possible to do that with the K-1's design?

Philip

In portrait orientation the screen can tilt 45 degrees up.
Peter

My Flickr page

pschlute

Link Posted 17/05/2020 - 01:16
bforbes wrote:
Jonathan-Mac wrote:

No, I've got one, because I like the viewfinder more than the screen.

I use the viewfinder most of the time, but when critical focus is essential the Live View image zoomed 100% is more accurate. This is where the articulated screen is really useful.
Peter

My Flickr page

MrB

Link Posted 17/05/2020 - 08:38
pschlute wrote:
MrB wrote:
However, the advantage of the K-70 screen over the KP, being fully articulated, is that low down shots are easy to do when the camera is used in portrait orientation, so I would give an extra mark to the K-70 design for that. Is it also possible to do that with the K-1's design?

Philip

In portrait orientation the screen can tilt 45 degrees up.

Thank you, Peter. I suspected that might be the case, so that regarding usability for me the full articulation of the K-70 is still the best in principle. Although the following is a minor observation, in terms of ergonomics I would have preferred the screen's articulation point to be on the long side, making the camera neater, more compact, and possibly less vulnerable, when the screen is fully open. But to each his own.

Philip

ronniemac

Link Posted 19/05/2020 - 12:01
The K-1 articulating screen is a nice piece of engineering, offering a good range of angle options.

The K-70 offers a wider range of angles folds in on itself for protection against scratching.

The 645z, K-1ii, KP, K-S2. MX-1 & X-5 also all have articulating rear screens, so why not the K-3ii replacement? Perhaps its omission is to do with minimising size, or weight, or cost but since buying a K-1 and K-70 my K-3 ii is hardly ever put into service.

I had hoped to swap the latter two out for the new APS-C, but only if it had an articulating screen. It's a back thing!

JAK

Link Posted 19/05/2020 - 14:32
Mike-P wrote:
The K-1 screen is a sort of jack of all trades but master of none ... it tilts every way but not enough to be 100% useful all of the time.

Personally I have 3 camera bodies and all of them have a articulating screen, as I see it I could do without it but it's a handy thing to have on the odd occasion such as macro or when you need to hold the camera up at arms length. I honestly cannot see why some people feel the need to run them down though, if you don't need it then don't use it (it's not like the have any detrimental effect on using the camera) but having it there keeps all the others happy as well and for what, a few extra £ on top of what it would have cost without. It also keeps those people using Pentax and not moving elsewhere. The same goes for touchscreens.

Anyway, my APS-C needs are being met with another make now and I have no interest in the new body, it's too little too late but my K-1 and full frame lenses will be staying with me for the forseeable future because it's a great camera.

A touch screen would be a big turn off for me! (Unless it could be completely disabled without losing any functionality similar to not having to use a tilting screen if you don 't want to.) I reckon I'd find it more of a nuisance than something useful. It's a feature that puts me off most mobile phones!
John K
Last Edited by JAK on 19/05/2020 - 14:34

Mike-P

Link Posted 19/05/2020 - 16:47
JAK wrote:

A touch screen would be a big turn off for me! (Unless it could be completely disabled without losing any functionality similar to not having to use a tilting screen if you don 't want to.) I reckon I'd find it more of a nuisance than something useful. It's a feature that puts me off most mobile phones!

I have a touch screen on the D500 and M5 ... they are both turned off.

The only things I have enabled are swipe to view pictures and pinch/expand to check if something is in focus at 1:1 and tbh I forget to use them most of the time and just use the buttons.
No equipment list here but thanks for taking an interest. My Flickr
Last Edited by Mike-P on 19/05/2020 - 16:47

womble

Link Posted 19/05/2020 - 21:03
Jonathan-Mac wrote:

Nope. Me too.
Kris Lockyear
It is an illusion that photos are made with the camera… they are made with the eye, heart and head. Henri Cartier-Bresson
Lots of film bodies, a couple of digital ones, too many lenses (mainly older glass) and a Horseman LE 5x4.

My website
Add a Comment
You must be registered or logged-in to comment.