UK price increases are here :(

Jonathan-Mac

Link Posted 05/04/2012 - 08:35
The K5 body seems to have increased by 100 quid, both at Park & SRS, the biggest UK dealers. Many lens prices seem to have increased massively at SRS too: the DA70, DA21, DA* 55, DA 17-70, DA 12-24...

The special edition silver DA70 is currently cheaper than the standard version.

Very disappointing. I can give up thinking about getting more limited lenses.
Pentax hybrid user - Digital K3 & K200D, film 645 and 35mm SLR and Pentax (&other) lenses adapted to Fuji X digital
Fan of DA limited and old manual lenses
Last Edited by Jonathan-Mac on 05/04/2012 - 09:07

milamber

Link Posted 05/04/2012 - 08:46
Just checked Jessops's limited range of Pentax lenses. No price increases there - DA 17-70mm is still 329.95, for example, so might be worth a look, especially if you have some Tesco Clubcard vouchers.

woodworm

Link Posted 05/04/2012 - 09:00
K5 body only went up 15 on Amazon so it's 715 at the moment

nass

Link Posted 05/04/2012 - 09:46
I, for one, would like SRS to tell us whether they've been specifically recently ordered as dealers to set them at these new higher prices (the MRRP thing) or whether they're doing this as a "market response" to the now lack of lower cost North American offers.
... just another middle-aged guy with a hobby. I have an extreme macro learning site at extreme-macro.co.uk - Pentax-centric, your feedback and comments would be appreciated!

LennyBloke

Link Posted 05/04/2012 - 10:11
SRS are unlikely to be in a position to tell us what is really going on. I suspect the tactic used is the threat that a dealer under-cutting prices may find his supplies dry up and could lose his "insert brand name here" dealership. I've recently had this confirmed to me regarding another brand (not at SRS)!

But this isn't "price-fixing" of course
LennyBloke

nass

Link Posted 05/04/2012 - 10:17
Well, maybe, although I'd have thought that they'd be delighted to confirm that this price hike was forced on them by an outside party rather than an opportunistic money grab because of what's going on. Any silence would be deafening.
... just another middle-aged guy with a hobby. I have an extreme macro learning site at extreme-macro.co.uk - Pentax-centric, your feedback and comments would be appreciated!

MartynUK

Link Posted 05/04/2012 - 10:31
Well I've noticed that the DA*60-250 from SRS on e-b has gone up from 939 to 1112 and it's 1,189 on the site (I think it was under 1K before). That's an 18% increase.

I'm glad I got the DA*300 when I did - just wish I could 'stock up' on the others on my 'wanted' list!!

Oh well.... it might make the price of the 560mm seem less expensive when it comes out.
Martyn

http://www.flickr.com/photos/northamptonshirecouk/

Dr. Mhuni

Link Posted 05/04/2012 - 11:29
Last time there was a big price increase in the UK, SRS scrupulously kept selling the lenses they had in stock at the old price until they had sold out. (I remember umming and aah-ing over their last DA*50-135 at 519. Somehow I restrained myself - which with hindsight was actually a mistake from a purely financial point of view.) Given that this was so, I imagine that a Pentax directive is dictating these increases. Very glad I invested in some Ltds over the past year or so now.

This abrupt price increase seems like a daft policy to me. Pentax could have encouraged pre-increase sales if they'd given more warning. This is what happened last time - SRS sold out their existing stock pretty swiftly as I recall. All this will do is make people delay their purchases, or lead them to invest in third party or s/h lenses.
Mhuni

500px

miles500

Link Posted 05/04/2012 - 11:54
This seems to be the strategy at SRS currently as I notice that the 21mm and 70mm Ltds have risen steeply in price but the 35mm 2.8 and the 40mm Ltds remain at their old price together with the 70mm Ltd - heaven alone knows what the latter might rise to if and when the current round of increases is applied. I am thankful that I have recently acquired the 15, 21and 70 Ltds as I might not have been quite so keen to do so now and I suspect that I might have stuck with my trusty Sigma 17 -70. I feel that increases of this size are rather disappointing and existing Pentax users may well feel rather let down and even disillusioned.
Miles

miles500

Link Posted 05/04/2012 - 12:15
Sorry my post does not make sense! I meant to say that the 15mm Ltd ( not the 70mm) seems to be at its old ( but still rather high) price and I was speculating what that lens might rise to!
Miles

RayB

Link Posted 05/04/2012 - 13:17
On the other side of the coin, I've wanted the BG-4 grip (K5) for some time, but at 205 in SRS it was more than I was willing to pay. It is now priced at 179 so I've bought one, arrived this morning!

Dr. Mhuni

Link Posted 05/04/2012 - 13:20
I think the DA35 and 40 Ltds might be priced relatively low because if they were too high people would just opt for the DA35 and 40XS. The 15 has always been priced higher than the other DA Ltds in the UK - I suspect this might stay where it is. In the US, where it was much cheaper than in the UK, its price has gone up substantially.
Mhuni

500px

steven9761

Link Posted 05/04/2012 - 13:22
I reckon Ricoh Pentax will come to their collective senses when sales of their equipment don't appear to shift off the shelves as quickly as they used to, and in the case of lenses, when they realise that the likes of Sigma, Tamron, etc are outselling Pentax-branded lenses on a massive scale. It might be worth hanging on a few months to find out if this is going to be the case.

mecrox

Link Posted 05/04/2012 - 13:43
steven9761 wrote:
I reckon Ricoh Pentax will come to their collective senses when sales of their equipment don't appear to shift off the shelves as quickly as they used to, and in the case of lenses, when they realise that the likes of Sigma, Tamron, etc are outselling Pentax-branded lenses on a massive scale. It might be worth hanging on a few months to find out if this is going to be the case.

The opposite could easily be the case with Tamron and Sigma. Declining sales of the Pentax brand lead to declining sales of third-party products for it and to fewer third-party products for it being made. What this move has probably done is refocus people's attitude: we've heard all the talk about the Ricoh takeover but now we are fixing our eyes firmly on what these guys are actually doing and on the products they are releasing, not on what their marketing department has been claiming and on rumours of rafts of new things just waiting in the wings. No more if.

LennyBloke

Link Posted 05/04/2012 - 16:25
This may well generate a reasonable level of sales in the short term.

As has been noted already some retailers have lenses at the "old prices", and at any given time there will be a fair number of people close(ish) to purchasing, forearmed with the knowledge of significant increases this may well help them bring forward their decisions. I have to admit I have behaved this way in the past

As for the longer term, it is unlikely that Pentax will price themselves out of the market - Nikon have been "adjusting prices" and Canon aren't a registered charity
LennyBloke
Add a Comment
You must be registered or logged-in to comment.