Tough times.

pentaxian450

Link Posted 31/10/2010 - 11:38
You guys are still taking pictures of the fall colours, but here, we already have snow.

Tough times for the next six months, or so.
Yves (another one of those crazy Canucks)

Dangermouse

Link Posted 31/10/2010 - 12:56
I'm looking forward to decent snow, we've had some for the past couple of years. Only snag is that metal cameras get a bit cold in your hands while outside in those conditions!
Matt

Shooting the Welsh Wilderness with K-m, KX, MX, ME Super and assorted lenses.

bretti_kivi

Link Posted 31/10/2010 - 13:06
thin leather gloves... windproof and yet you can still use the camera. And a second battery in an inside pocket

We also already had snow, it's gone warm again for some reason ?!

Bret
my pics: link
my kit: K3, K5, K-01, DA 18-55, D-FA50 macro, Siggy 30/1.4, 100-300/f4, 70-200/2.8, Samsung 12-24/f4, Tamron 17-50, and lots of other bits.

mowog

Link Posted 31/10/2010 - 13:09
Yes. Winter is upon us. The clocks went back last night.
Sainsbury's was heaving, this morning. Seemed like twice the number of people than usual at that time. Had to drive around car park for a while before finding a space. It's like a switch flicks in peoples heads at start of November, and we all go into frantic shopping mode.

BTW... How does my computer know that the clocks went back? - I didn't tell it. It had reset on it's own when I started it up, this morning. Even though I had not yet connected online, so IE couldn't have adjusted it.
No man is worth his salt, who has not been banned from at least one Forum, and two Flickr groups.

Mowog.

bretti_kivi

Link Posted 31/10/2010 - 13:56
your computer knows because the rules are fixed... and therefore it gets told.

And IE is not the be-all and end all; there's something called NTP, running on port 123, which synchronises time. It can request a time without your firewall saying anything unless you've banned it from doing so.

Bret
my pics: link
my kit: K3, K5, K-01, DA 18-55, D-FA50 macro, Siggy 30/1.4, 100-300/f4, 70-200/2.8, Samsung 12-24/f4, Tamron 17-50, and lots of other bits.

philstaff

Link Posted 31/10/2010 - 13:58
Im moving.
Ian

puma

Link Posted 31/10/2010 - 14:40
Autumn is the best time of the year so many colours and so much to see love it.
my web site http://www.swilsonphotography.foliopic.com/
PPG link

Don

Link Posted 31/10/2010 - 15:05
I was riding my motorcycle out in the snow yesterday.
Wooo hoo!

Good thing the perma frost hasn't set in yet and the snow melts as it hits the road...

I should really consider getting a snowmobile...
Fired many shots. Didn't kill anything.

techno-terminator

Link Posted 31/10/2010 - 16:01
cardiff_gareth wrote:
Now I have a WR lens I'm looking forward to some nice snow!

Show off
let the education continue

proud owner of a couple of cameras and a few bits and bobs

geclinke

Link Posted 31/10/2010 - 16:19
I'm going to Whistler in January so I hope it carries on snowing...
k5, 50mm FA, 18-55mm Kit, 50-200mm DA, 15mm Fisheye Sigma, 10-17mm DA Fisheye, 18-55mm DA WR, DA* 60-250, DA* 16-50

pentaxian450

Link Posted 31/10/2010 - 16:23
geclinke wrote:
I'm going to Whistler in January so I hope it carries on snowing...

Whistler is about 2000 miles away from my place. And I wouldn't worry about snow in Whistler. It's there almost year round.
Yves (another one of those crazy Canucks)

Gwyn

Link Posted 31/10/2010 - 16:51
I'm currently looking to book some winter sun.

I HATE snow. Cold I can cope with but snow is just horrible. It looks nice for about 30 minutes while you are indoors, but then you have to go out in it. Cars slipping all over the place, people falling off their bikes, walking difficult due to the slides the kids make. Then it turns to slush, which freezes into sheet ice, which you can neither drive or walk on.... no thanks.

Father Ted

Link Posted 31/10/2010 - 16:56
I'm really hoping we get snow again this year! It NEVER snows round here, so last year's snow was brilliant. Even if it did shut Liverpool down for a day.
Getting there! Thanks to you guys

Pentax K10d, *istDL, Kit lens ( 18-55mm ), 50mm f1.7 lens, Tamron 70-300mm lens, Prinzflex 70-162 manual lens, Various old flashes.

user_removed

Link Posted 31/10/2010 - 17:16
mowog wrote:

BTW... How does my computer know that the clocks went back? - I didn't tell it. It had reset on it's own when I started it up, this morning. Even though I had not yet connected online, so IE couldn't have adjusted it.

Windows has had DST adjustment functionality inbuilt since Win 95.
The OS can also auto correct the low-level BIOS date-time (the real-time clock chip on the PC mainboard), directly from the GUI shell.

It operates on the Regional (date-time) settings (ref: Control Panel) being correct - those as selected by the user, usually at OS installation time.
(Timezone [TZ] and localised DST codes info are stored and [re]read from the system Registry)

Countries that stuff around changing their Start and or End dates for daylight saving seasons from 'normal' (declared), also upset Windows, requiring MS to issue an appropriate patch for PCs in that region.

Online connectivity is only needed and utilised to sync (readjust if out of whack, as all clocks do, lose or gain..), the onboard Windows clock with clocks on dedicated Time servers (via time protocol), that in turn keep themselves critically accurate by syncing with atomic clocks.

All fairly simple really. But so useful to have.

OT: Cameras can do the former (read-only from initial D-T/Region/DST fixed User-input settings), but don't have inbuilt Online connectivity yet to take it all to that critical next level. Hopefully soon....... (sounds of me wishing)

Otoh smart cameras, ie. those with proper inbuilt GPS (more drool from me), would/could have that seamless full Time DST syncing capability via the global GPS satellite system.

.R.
Last Edited by user_removed on 31/10/2010 - 17:29

Dangermouse

Link Posted 31/10/2010 - 18:01
I tend to find the roads which nobody has bothered to grit and go for a play. Providing the snow is under 8" or so you can do lovely drifts in a rear wheel drive car, when it gets a bit deeper you can even get a Discovery sliding around nicely!
Matt

Shooting the Welsh Wilderness with K-m, KX, MX, ME Super and assorted lenses.
Add a Comment
You must be registered or logged-in to comment.