Tips for New Pentax K-X

goinnovative

Link Posted 09/05/2014 - 19:19
I am just a beginner in DSLR and just brought used Pentax K-x model with kit lens:18-55 and 50-200. I use to take pics in RAW mostly. Is it advisable to increase sharpness, saturation etc. I have a bit sharpness issue.especially last one

How to give EXIF data here?

Mike-P

Link Posted 09/05/2014 - 19:35
If you are shooting Raw then 9/10 times you will need to process the files (sharpness, contrast etc) to get the most out of them.

I don't see much of a sharpness issue with the last one tbh but I notice you are shooting with an aperture of f5.6 @ 200mm, ISO 400 when you could increase your ISO a touch and then use a smaller f stop. Kit lenses are always best stopped down a notch or two if possible.

If you are coming from a point and shoot don't expect punchy sharp pictures straight out of the camera, a DSLR needs a bit more work but it's worth it in the end.
No equipment list here but thanks for taking an interest. My Flickr

goinnovative

Link Posted 10/05/2014 - 04:28
Mike-P wrote:
If you are shooting Raw then 9/10 times you will need to process the files (sharpness, contrast etc) to get the most out of them.

I don't see much of a sharpness issue with the last one tbh but I notice you are shooting with an aperture of f5.6 @ 200mm, ISO 400 when you could increase your ISO a touch and then use a smaller f stop. Kit lenses are always best stopped down a notch or two if possible.

If you are coming from a point and shoot don't expect punchy sharp pictures straight out of the camera, a DSLR needs a bit more work but it's worth it in the end.

Thanks Mike yes, it seems that DSLR needs a bit more work. I am practicing randomly on P, Av, Tv and M mode.
Smaller f stop means increasing f number? like f8?

swarf

Link Posted 10/05/2014 - 11:21
Yes - smaller aperture = larger number, as Mike says kit lenses generally benefit from stopping down a little.

Regarding the various modes, personally I would practice with one mode and get familiar with that, rather than randomly switching between them which might end up confusing things. If the first two of your images above are your 'preferred' subject, then I would start with Av which will give you more control over the depth of field.

Phil
K-5iiS; K-r; ME Super; ME; DA* 16-50 f2.8; DA 18-135 WR; DA 55-300 WR; HD DA 15mm F4 ED AL Limited; FA 50mm f1.4; A50mm f1.7; DAL 18-55mm; M40mm f2.8; + assorted non-Pentax lenses

My Flikr Page link

Stuey

Link Posted 10/05/2014 - 15:17
Hello and welcome
K10D, K5 plus plenty of clueless enthusiasm.

My Flickr site link

goinnovative

Link Posted 12/05/2014 - 14:32
swarf wrote:
Yes - smaller aperture = larger number, as Mike says kit lenses generally benefit from stopping down a little.

Regarding the various modes, personally I would practice with one mode and get familiar with that, rather than randomly switching between them which might end up confusing things. If the first two of your images above are your 'preferred' subject, then I would start with Av which will give you more control over the depth of field.

Phil

Thanks Phil you are right. I am practicing

goinnovative

Link Posted 12/05/2014 - 14:32
Stuey wrote:
Hello and welcome

Thank you
Add a Comment
You must be registered or logged-in to comment.