Visit MPB Visit MPB Visit MPB

Third party grips

jeallen01
Posted 18/06/2012 - 07:21 Link
cabstar wrote:
I use one of the copied ones. I don't see the point of a weatherprooofed grip. The body is fully weatherprooofed so any water that gets in between the grip and body is not going to harm the body itself I would have thought....

Not quite - because I think the rubber plug over the grip interface port on the bottom of the camera body probably forms part of the weather sealing of the body. Therefore, when it is not there (as when the grip is attached, then the overall weather sealing is impaired.

John
K-3 II, K-3 and a K-70 from SRS (having now relegated the K-30 /"K-50" to a backup body), & some Sigma and Pentax lenses (and a lot of old 35mm gear!)
gartmore
Posted 18/06/2012 - 07:52 Link
Rain never stopped play for me prior to cameras having WR but I suppose it is a good thing. However, I'd imagine the grip does have some basic electronics in it that could be damamged by water ingress.
Ken
“We must avoid however, snapping away, shooting quickly and without thought, overloading ourselves with unnecessary images that clutter our memory and diminish the clarity of the whole.” - Henri Cartier-Bresson -
cabstar
Posted 18/06/2012 - 10:40 Link
If a grip fails due to water at a cost of £30 then I can easily replace it at this price....
PPG Wedding photography Flickr
Concert photography

Currently on a Pentax hiatus until an FF Pentax is released
gartmore
Posted 18/06/2012 - 12:04 Link
True
Ken
“We must avoid however, snapping away, shooting quickly and without thought, overloading ourselves with unnecessary images that clutter our memory and diminish the clarity of the whole.” - Henri Cartier-Bresson -
Blythman
Posted 18/06/2012 - 12:19 Link
cabstar wrote:
If a grip fails due to water at a cost of £30 then I can easily replace it at this price....

Trouble is, it will be connected electrically with the body
Alan

PPG
Flickr
Pentaxophile
Posted 18/06/2012 - 14:30 Link
I guess the answer is don't use it in the rain!
[link=https://500px.com/will_brealey/[/link]
Hardgravity
Posted 18/06/2012 - 21:58 Link
My thoughts exactly.
Cheers, HG

K110+DA40, K200+DA35, K3 and a bag of lenses, bodies and other bits.

Mustn't forget the Zenits, or folders, or...

PPG entries.
Hardgravity
Posted 27/07/2012 - 09:20 Link
UPDATE

I ordered a grip, the one favoured, from Amazon, 1 month on it hadn't arrived.

I claimed and got a refund and now am about to bite the bullet and order from ebay.

The Amazon supplier was not clearly marked as an off shore supplier, despite being based in Hong Kong (I think). Consequently the 1st class Royal Mail despatch was a bit misleading.

I can't fault Amazon for their service,the supplier is now marked as shipped from the USA, but I've wasted a month and will now have to start all over again!
Cheers, HG

K110+DA40, K200+DA35, K3 and a bag of lenses, bodies and other bits.

Mustn't forget the Zenits, or folders, or...

PPG entries.
paulgee20
Posted 27/07/2012 - 13:38 Link
I bought a Third party one for my K10 off ebay and also one for the later K7, again off ebay. The second one included 2 batteries + a holder for AA's. Both have, and still are in perfect working order, (Batteries included). Highest price paid, (inc P&P) - £43.

Not a consideration for me for such items, Third party!!

Paul
K5's (2)both gripped, K10d gripped, Pentax 28-90 f3.5, Sigma 18-250mm, Sigma 150-500mm. Sigma 105mm f/2.8 EX DG Macro, Sigma 10-20 f.4-5.6.EX DC, Hoya 135 f2.8, Take on 28mm f2.8 Pentax AF360 flash, 2 fill in slaves. 30 metre remote release, Rt angle viewfinder, Giotto NOT 3261B Tripod with Manfrotto 808Rd4 ball head, Manfroto 4861RC2 monopoly, shoulder stock, various filters etc, Panasonic SET HBS HD Video cam, Tamrac Explorer 8x backpack and a sore back.....
-------------------------------------------------------
Photography is an index for measuring futility and pride.......

Paul

:wink
http://s743.photobucket.com/home/pg20_photos/index https://www.flickr.com/photos/pg20
MikeyJay
Posted 01/10/2012 - 08:08 Link
Mate. Don't bother. I would spend the extra on a Pentax grip. I know times is hard, but I bought one of these third party grips for my K7....within less than a month, the opening catch broke off. I now have to use a blade on my Swiss army knife to open the bugger. The markings are ALREADY wearing off on the controls, and half the time the controls won't even work.
It's not about the equipment; it's the results you achieve with it.
cabstar
Posted 01/10/2012 - 09:19 Link
Must be one of the few to have had that happened....

I took my grip to bits when I first ordered it and taped all the connections and cables up inside, there aren't many.

Certainly nothing to short out in there.
PPG Wedding photography Flickr
Concert photography

Currently on a Pentax hiatus until an FF Pentax is released
paulgee20
Posted 01/10/2012 - 10:18 Link
Must just be unlucky, Ive had one now for 2 years and is still just as new. And at £33 each you can buy 6 for the price on just one Pentax branded! So the economics alone dont stack up.
Down to Personal choice though.

Paul
K5's (2)both gripped, K10d gripped, Pentax 28-90 f3.5, Sigma 18-250mm, Sigma 150-500mm. Sigma 105mm f/2.8 EX DG Macro, Sigma 10-20 f.4-5.6.EX DC, Hoya 135 f2.8, Take on 28mm f2.8 Pentax AF360 flash, 2 fill in slaves. 30 metre remote release, Rt angle viewfinder, Giotto NOT 3261B Tripod with Manfrotto 808Rd4 ball head, Manfroto 4861RC2 monopoly, shoulder stock, various filters etc, Panasonic SET HBS HD Video cam, Tamrac Explorer 8x backpack and a sore back.....
-------------------------------------------------------
Photography is an index for measuring futility and pride.......

Paul

:wink
http://s743.photobucket.com/home/pg20_photos/index https://www.flickr.com/photos/pg20
bforbes
Posted 01/10/2012 - 10:51 Link
The marking are wearing off mine, but everything still works.
tyronet2000
Posted 01/10/2012 - 10:55 Link
Quote:
...the opening catch broke off.

If you are not going to use the AA battery holder the catch is easily transferred to the main battery holder door, and I'm not an engineer
Regards
Stan

PPG

Add Comment

To leave a comment - Log in to Pentax User or create a new account.