Third party grips

percy

Link Posted 16/06/2012 - 08:15
I have a third party grip on my K-5 and am perfectly happy with it - no problems at all. It claims to be weather sealed, but I doubt it is really, and I'm sure the quality is not as good as the Pentax item, but it does the job just as well, still feels fairly robust, and if it should break, well, I can buy 5 of these for the price of 1 Pentax grip.
I'd rather spend the extra on a lens.

Hardgravity

Link Posted 16/06/2012 - 08:41
Thanks for the feedback guys.

It is indeed the 32 Amazon item I've been looking at.

A search on the net brought up loads of gripes about cheap grips, seems the one that has plastic pins is to be avoided at all costs whilst the one mentioned on this thread is OK.
Cheers, HG

K110+DA40, K200+DA35, K3 and a bag of lenses, bodies and other bits.

Mustn't forget the Zenits, or folders, or...

I've some gallerieshere CLICKY LINK! and my PPG entries.

jeallen01

Link Posted 16/06/2012 - 08:50
fritzthedog wrote:
I had a Meike branded DB G4 copy on my K5 - bought off ebay for around 35.

For the price - excellent value. The only negatives compared to the original:

1. No WR
2. Not quite as tight a fit as the original

I used it for 6 months without any issues and for a budget grip - could not fault it. Only stopped using it as I managed to get an original from Jessops when they were virtually giving them away a few months ago.

Carl

I also bought one of those - mainly to give a better balance on the K-5 with a long lens on it, and it certainly does do that.

OTOH, the eBay advertiser's pictures here http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=330642170821&ssPageName... are a little contradictory - the top shot shows it having metal locating pins, whereas the lower shot appear to show plastic pins, and those are what mine has!

Not too worried at this point, but I will be careful when I fit/remove the grip to ensure I don't break those pins!!
K-3 II, K-3 and a K-70 from SRS (having now relegated the K-30 /"K-50" to a backup body), & some Sigma and Pentax lenses (and a lot of old 35mm gear!)

SteveLedger

Link Posted 16/06/2012 - 09:22
Yes, the BOWER has the steel locator pins. And the buttons and wheels feel very similar to those on the K7.

fatspider

Link Posted 16/06/2012 - 10:00
I see you got the K5 then Dave don't blame me if you don't like it.
My Names Alan, and I'm a lensaholic.
My PPG link
My Flckr link

Gwyn

Link Posted 16/06/2012 - 10:13
fatspider wrote:

Nor me .

Hardgravity

Link Posted 16/06/2012 - 11:10
Gwyn wrote:
fatspider wrote:

Nor me .

I won't, the boss might, but I won't!
Cheers, HG

nanhi

Link Posted 16/06/2012 - 17:14
Hardgravity wrote:
Having just bought a K-5 I'm looking at a battery grip for it. Now, the Pentax original is around 200,almost half what I paid for the camera and a little(lot?) out of my budget. What experience have users of the 'cheap copies' had? Are they OK or should they be avoided at all costs? Advice please.

Hello Hardgravity Sir, why do you need a Grip at all?? Yes Yes I know all the excuses - vertical shots, extra battery power, use of ordinary AA cells, I have bigger hands, looks very Pro and hep, etc etc. I used all the same excuses to buy the original Pentax Grip, and HARDLY EVER USE IT NOW. The novelty has worn off. In fact it can be a pain/nuisance as the buttons keep getting pressed by no fault of mine.
Please use the fund to buy a faster better lens like a Tammy f2.8.
Regards.

jeallen01

Link Posted 16/06/2012 - 17:21
[quote/]

.... In fact it can be a pain/nuisance as the buttons keep getting pressed by no fault of mine.
Regards.[/quote]

Does your grip not have an ON-OFF switch as the one I have does have one and when it is set to OFF, the buttons on the grip don't do anything?
K-3 II, K-3 and a K-70 from SRS (having now relegated the K-30 /"K-50" to a backup body), & some Sigma and Pentax lenses (and a lot of old 35mm gear!)

Smeggypants

Link Posted 16/06/2012 - 22:52
nanhi wrote:
Hardgravity wrote:
Having just bought a K-5 I'm looking at a battery grip for it. Now, the Pentax original is around 200,almost half what I paid for the camera and a little(lot?) out of my budget. What experience have users of the 'cheap copies' had? Are they OK or should they be avoided at all costs? Advice please.

Hello Hardgravity Sir, why do you need a Grip at all?? Yes Yes I know all the excuses - vertical shots, extra battery power, use of ordinary AA cells, I have bigger hands, looks very Pro and hep, etc etc. I used all the same excuses to buy the original Pentax Grip, and HARDLY EVER USE IT NOW. The novelty has worn off. In fact it can be a pain/nuisance as the buttons keep getting pressed by no fault of mine.
Regards.

I had a grip for my K20D. I never used it for vertical shots preferring to use the regular controls in that position. Only benefit was not having to change battery so often.

When I got my K-5s I didn't bother getting grips, and get over 2,000 shots per battery anyway.
[i]Bodies: 1x K-5IIs, 2x K-5, Sony TX-5, Nokia 808
Lenses: Pentax DA 10-17mm ED(IF) Fish Eye, Pentax DA 14mm f/2.8, Sigma 17-70mm f/2.8, Pentax-A 28mm f/2.8, Sigma 30mm F1.4 EX DC, Pentax-A 50mm f/1.2, Pentax-A 50mm f/1.4, Pentax-FA 50mm f/1.4, Pentax-A 50mm f/1.7, Pentax DA* 50-135mm f/2.8, Sigma 135-400mm APO DG, and more ..
Flash: AF-540FGZ, Vivitar 283

Mannesty

Link Posted 16/06/2012 - 23:01
Galoot wrote:
I think you would have to define 'waste', Peter.

Sure, I define 'waste' as the practice of buying something like a third party grip when it's affordable, only to replace it later with the OEM one.

Used OEM equipment nowadays is undervalued already. A third party grip would be almost unsaleable in used condition. Hence, waste.

Why not just wait until one can afford the OEM one, either used or new.
Peter E Smith

My flickr Photostream

Hardgravity

Link Posted 16/06/2012 - 23:11
I have a grip on myK200 and find it makes the camera more comfortable.

That's the reason I'm looking at a grip for my K5,nothing to do with image(look I've got a big..) but all to do with comfort.
Cheers, HG

johnboy-22

Link Posted 17/06/2012 - 21:23
Can you fit a quick release plate on the bottom of the BG
Pentax K5, Kx, DA15 ltd,18-135, 18-55, 50-200, M100 f4 macro, M135 f3.5 A28 F2.5

tyronet2000

Link Posted 17/06/2012 - 21:34
johnboy-22 wrote:
Can you fit a quick release plate on the bottom of the BG

Yes, but take into consideration the extra total weight of the camera when using a tripod.
Regards
Stan

PPG

cabstar

Link Posted 18/06/2012 - 02:08
I use one of the copied ones. I don't see the point of a weatherprooofed grip. The body is fully weatherprooofed so any water that gets in between the grip and body is not going to harm the body itself I would have thought....
PPG Wedding photography Flickr
Concert photography

Currently on a Pentax hiatus until an FF Pentax is released
Add a Comment
You must be registered or logged-in to comment.