The Red Arrows 2010

Mongoose

Link Posted 18/07/2010 - 18:48
Well I promised Chris@SRS I'd post a few of these so he could see them, here they are Chris!

All taken with a K10D and Tamron 300mm f/2.8 at f/8 and 1/1000th, ISO 200 (I think) on Thursday afternoon at the UK Defence Academy.

C&C always well received, I can take it!
you don't have to be mad to post here

but it does help

ChrisA

Link Posted 18/07/2010 - 19:56
Anyone who's tried to catch the instant where they cross, as you have in the last one, will know how utterly useless it to bang away with however many frames per second the camera can manage.

To time this shot as well as you have is no small undertaking.

You were clearly panning on the one crossing left to right, and it's interesting to note that even at 1/1000s, it doesn't quite freeze the one whose speed you've effectively doubled.

I'll be trying to get this shot next week at Farnborough. Two years ago I learned that 1/400s isn't fast enough with this technique and now you've shown that nor is 1/1000s.

Still, the timing is impeccable.

It would be worth brightening up the colours - I reckon there's a lot more to be made of this shot than shown here.
Pentax K-3, DA18-135, DA35 F2.4, DA17-70, DA55-300, FA28-200, A50 F1.7, A100 F4 Macro, A400 F5.6, Sigma 10-20 EXDC, 50-500 F4.5-6.3 APO DG OS Samsung flash SEF-54PZF(x2)

Mongoose

Link Posted 19/07/2010 - 08:08
thanks Chris, number 3 was helped by the fact that I saw more or less the same routine last year so I knew I would get 3 chances to get that shot, and exactly what angle they would come from. 2 out of 3 weren't even close!

I reckon to have any chance of actually freezing them you've got to wind the shutter right up to 1/4000th and pray. These boys are certifiably insane.

One useful thing I learned though is that, even as low as they look, Manual focus, f/8 and infinity deals with the focusing so you can concentrate elsewhere.

I'll have another look at the RAW file in a bit and see if I can bring it a bit more to life.

thanks for the thoughts, and good luck next week. Even if the photos don't come out, it's an amazing display.

but it does help

Mongoose

Link Posted 19/07/2010 - 08:10
BTW even though it's not quite what you wanted, I like your attempt at the crossover shot, it does at least give a hell of a sense of speed!

but it does help

ChrisA

Link Posted 19/07/2010 - 08:24
Mongoose wrote:
One useful thing I learned though is that, even as low as they look, Manual focus, f/8 and infinity deals with the focusing so you can concentrate elsewhere.

I used to use the focus at infinity, but I'm not convinced it gives the best result. You might get away with that at small apertures (F8 may be enough as you say), but much wider than that and you definitely don't - infinity is a lot further away than the aeroplanes, and the camera can definitely tell the difference.

Much maligned though Pentax AF is, I find that even on the K10D, AF-C is good enough for aeroplanes at a show. However, it's the one situation I switch the AF point selector to Auto.

Two reasons it works, I think:

a) it's very hard to keep the aeroplane bang on the centre spot when it's moving fast so my failure rate is very high using the centre spot, and

b) since there's nothing else out there to confuse it, the camera makes a pretty good job of selecting the right AF point.
Pentax K-3, DA18-135, DA35 F2.4, DA17-70, DA55-300, FA28-200, A50 F1.7, A100 F4 Macro, A400 F5.6, Sigma 10-20 EXDC, 50-500 F4.5-6.3 APO DG OS Samsung flash SEF-54PZF(x2)

Mongoose

Link Posted 19/07/2010 - 09:38
You clearly have far more experience than I at this so I'm sure you're right, certainly much narrower than f/8 would cause trouble, but I seem to have got away with it

but it does help

prsjnb

Link Posted 19/07/2010 - 23:02
Fairford this Sunday was my first attempt to capture images of aircraft in flight. Still sorting out the few 'keeps' from the many 'also rans', but these two of the Red Arrows display team seemed perfect for the thread. Weather conditions on the day were pitiful when compared with those earlier in the week (cf Mongoose's fabulous examples above), but it did force the aircraft to fly lower, therefore making them easier to capture 'on sensor' All taken with K20D and Sigma 70-300mm Apo DG (1/1600 f8 and 320 ASA; top, 120mm and bottom, 93mm).

Jon

Last Edited by prsjnb on 19/07/2010 - 23:08
Add a Comment
You must be registered or logged-in to comment.