The Houseleek Grows...

Lubbyman

Link Posted 07/06/2020 - 00:12
Harry the baby houseleek (see link) and his siblings have been growing leaves over the last few weeks and are now looking more like miniature versions of the rosettes they will become. The biggest plants are now about 15mm across, so it's time for a new picture. This time, I've had a go at focus stacking with Affinity Photo. Not tried it before. Stack of 12 images from K3 + Irix 150mm.

More to come when they're older, bigger and even more handsome.

Steve

prsjnb

Link Posted 09/06/2020 - 13:14
To really appreciate the quality and detail of the shot one needs to a larger image.

Certainly whetted my appetite for the Irix 150mm, a copy of which is now winging its way to me from Germany. Could prove one my bargain purchases of 2020 as it only cost a total of 438.00 (new, unopened and with two-year warranty)

Have you considered taking some shots before and after the liberal application of a depilatory cream?

Jon

Lubbyman

Link Posted 09/06/2020 - 13:55
Thanks. You're right about needing a larger image - funny how small things often look their best when seen big.
prsjnb wrote:
Certainly whetted my appetite for the Irix 150mm, a copy of which is now winging its way to me from Germany. Could prove one my bargain purchases of 2020 as it only cost a total of 438.00 (new, unopened and with two-year warranty)

The Irix is an impressive lens. You'll enjoy it - particularly knowing that it's cost you a lot less than I had to pay for it at the beginning of last year!

No depilatory cream on my houseleeks, thank you. The grown-up versions aren't obviously hairy so presumably they start doing it themselves when they reach adolescence.

Steve

davidwozhere

Link Posted 10/06/2020 - 00:20
On some of mine, the hairs turn into little spiky hook like things, others just disappear. We'll have to wait and see with these. That's a good focus stack.
Both the *istDS and the K5 are incurably addicted to old glass

My page on Photocrowd - link

Lubbyman

Link Posted 10/06/2020 - 20:47
How nice to find a fellow photographer who understands and appreciates the ways of houseleeks .

Most people who see the collection can't get excited about them and probably think I'm a bit odd (which might in fact be true, but not for that reason...).

Steve

davidruane

Link Posted 10/06/2020 - 21:53
There is absolutely nothing wrong with being odd

Lubbyman wrote:
How nice to find a fellow photographer who understands and appreciates the ways of houseleeks .

Most people who see the collection can't get excited about them and probably think I'm a bit odd (which might in fact be true, but not for that reason...).

Steve

Today is a great day - they always are if you wake up
Add a Comment
You must be registered or logged-in to comment.