The end of ful F1, on BBC.

Mannesty

Link Posted 30/07/2011 - 00:12
Fortunately we still get F1 coverage free-to-air here in Spain . . . so all you need to do is move here.

Oh, and learn the language.

Peter E Smith

My flickr Photostream

Gwyn

Link Posted 30/07/2011 - 09:17
Mannesty wrote:
Fortunately we still get F1 coverage free-to-air here in Spain . . . so all you need to do is move here.

Oh, and learn the language.

Tempted.

We still get it free to air too - in several different languages.

ChrisR

Link Posted 30/07/2011 - 09:37
Just hit me this morning, it will be Moto GP, next.

The only thing left then, will be British Touring Cars, on ITV4. That may be safe, as I doubt there is a world wide audience potential, but not holding my breath. As sky, has always been prepared to take a financial hit, in order to try and force a greater uptake of subscribers.

They will never get me, solely, on principle, plus I cant afford it.

Take care.

Chris R.
Chris R.

I. El. (Eng). (Rtd).

Eastridge

Link Posted 30/07/2011 - 10:10
Hugely annoyed at BBC doing this to save money mid contact. Don't they realise 'gifting' viewers to Sky will ultimately undermine the need for a Licence funded service.

I'll never sign up for Sky ( even if it were not Murdoch owned I hate the way they do business) so will maybe look at the Freesat for german coverage option.
Sharon's: K-x, FA35/2, DA 18-250.Glen's: K10D, DA100 Macro, 55-300, Paragon 500, Silk Pro700 Tripod

Dodge69

Link Posted 30/07/2011 - 12:13
Contract still had 2 years to run which is very annoying.
Guess it fuels the conspiracy theorist, (well as the phone hacking scandal has revealed there's not much of a conspiracy), it was the Whitehall that put the 'brakes' on the BBC.
I believe in the BBC and think it is right to have an advert free, diversified broadcaster serving all communities, with a remit to have quality broadcasting. (Coming from the USA there is just no comparison in the dumbing down stakes)
But I do think the digital age has left it far over stretched and there are other ways they could have cut cash, e.g. cut BBC3 and all the radio channels I have never heard or will ever hear....
AND HOW MUCH BLOODY CASH ARE THEY MAKING OUT OF TOP GEAR!! USE THAT!!
Pentax pour des images riches en détails!

layingback

Link Posted 01/08/2011 - 12:10
Per this article it was the BBC that decided to gift it to Sky primarily to get out of next year's contract. 'Course BE and FOTA didn't mind the extra ~9m quid a year!

But _if_ the BBC wanted to save money they could have done the same as Speed (previously Speedvision) did in USA a while back: take the world feed, and place their commentators in a studio in US watching the same feed, but with all the other data feeds currently available. Commentators Bob Varsha, David Hobbs, and Steve Matchett are way better than the current UK team of 4, especially David Hobbs (yes that David Hobbs formerly of Silverstone village), and Matchett is a pain at times, but most importantly they do not feel that they HAVE to SPEAK all the time. It isn't a horse race - and they know they aren't Murray Walker - so they just commentate when there is something to comment on! Ie. they add value.

But getting back to the Beebs' savings - who's going to televise the British GP, surely not the Murdocks, and it can't be a cheap op to set up? And remember too that the Beeb provide an English feed that many of the English speaking countries, for which they presumably get paid. So I'm not clear that this is really saving the BBC money. Just a PR exercise?
My PENTAX Page

Gwyn

Link Posted 01/08/2011 - 12:30
The Beeb have said they will show the British Grand Prix, Monaco, plus the first and last race of the season. The others will be decided at a later date I gather.

The main problem with the F1 TV contract is that they have to show all the training and qualifying as well as the race itself. They are not allowed to only show highlights of the qualifying any more. That takes up a lot of valuable TV time.

They are having to make cuts all over the place and though I am a fan of F1 I'd rather they cut that coverage than say some of the excellent series that they make. One program I'd happil see scrapped is Top Gear which is just a play ground for three vastly over paid presenters. Hammond seems to be taking over the BBC - he is everywhere!

I agree taking the feed would be an option. It is how they used to do it for a lot of the races. Plus squeezing it in to cricket coverage or whatever sport they had on on a Sunday pm, so that you only got very fragmented overage of the whole race.
Can't see Brundle and Coulthard being too happy with sitting in a studio though. Are they doing the Sky coverage too?

Frogherder

Link Posted 01/08/2011 - 14:48
We arn't paying our licence fee so that people in the Netherands can watch BBC are we?

regards
Bernard
Last Edited by Frogherder on 01/08/2011 - 14:48

Gwyn

Link Posted 01/08/2011 - 15:10
Frogherder wrote:
We arn't paying our licence fee so that people in the Netherands can watch BBC are we?

regards
Bernard

No. We pay our cable company and they pay the BBC for being able to carry it - they pay a large amount every year into the BBC's coffers.

In ex-pat havens such as France and Spain people watch the Beeb via satellite and don't pay for it I believe.

johnriley

Link Posted 01/08/2011 - 15:28
We don't pay our licence fee here so we can watch BBC. We pay our licence fee so that we can operate TV reception equipment. It just so happens that the BBC is financed with that money....or maybe some of it.
Best regards, John

Frogherder

Link Posted 01/08/2011 - 15:46
My comment was tongue in cheek - not meant in any malicious way (mischeivious maybe)

Bernard

Gwyn

Link Posted 01/08/2011 - 16:10
Frogherder wrote:
My comment was tongue in cheek - not meant in any malicious way (mischeivious maybe)

Bernard

I took it that way Bernard - but many people get annoyed that we can watch the BBC here.

We can't get ITV though - no agreements with the cable company mainly because the ad breaks would be tough to deal with I suspect.
Things like Discovery & CNN have ads directed at the country in which it is viewed, but I can't see that working for ITV.

We get BBC radio on the cable too, but only Radio 4 Long Wave is worth listening to on a normal radio. A pain when there is a test match on, but otherwsie a blessing - I'm dreading when BBC radio goes digital only and we lose it.
World Service is rubbish nowadays - a glorified rolling news service .

Frogherder

Link Posted 01/08/2011 - 16:17
Try BBC World Service (its on loads of places from Shortwave through Internet to DAB). Thats funded by the Foreign Office (not my licence)

They usually have a good coverage of cricket as most of the commonwealth play the game (often better than us)

Bernard

I thought you were picking up an East Anglia or Kent transmitter with those huge steerable dishes you all own

Bernard
Last Edited by Frogherder on 01/08/2011 - 16:17

Pentaxophile

Link Posted 01/08/2011 - 16:21
Frogherder wrote:
Try BBC World Service (its on loads of places from Shortwave through Internet to DAB). Thats funded by the Foreign Office (not my licence)

Not for long, unfortunately. Soon license payers will be moaning about their license fees going on stuff for people overseas, and it'll get cut back so we can have more episodes of Celebrity Snog, Marry, Avoid and big budget Holby City specials.
[link=https://500px.com/will_brealey/[/link]

Gwyn

Link Posted 01/08/2011 - 16:30
As I said the World Service in Europe (which I can hear on MW) is rubbish now - lots of new programmes and new bulletins every half hour. No cricket - which I can get on radio 4 for now, and very little entertainment.
No Archers, no the Now show, no News Quiz, no Today programme. All the things I love listening to on R4. It is rather boring listening.

I can get the podcasts for some of the programmes when R4 goes, but it is not the same. I can't imagine not waking up to the farming programme .

When I first moved here I could get Radio 2, Radio 4, World Service (which was worth listening to then) and BFBS, plus AFN.
Add a Comment
You must be registered or logged-in to comment.