The End comes before it starts

Horst

Link Posted 05/04/2015 - 01:26
Hi, Every time i receive the Pentax news letter. I am trying to figure out, how to compete in the monthly competition.

The end of the competition date is always 1 day before I receive the news letter.

E.G. the last newsletter I received on 1st April 2015. the competition closes on the 31st of March 2015.

This happens every month.

I can well imagine that the UK is a month behind Australia. They are normally behind in most things,
but this doesn't help me, trying to participate in the monthly competition.

Maybe some of you know, how to overcome this.

Regards, Horst

SteveLedger

Link Posted 05/04/2015 - 06:44
It's just poor planning without regard to International members, that's all.
Didn't you know the the UK is the centre of the universe?

I've always found it odd that it's the only forum I know which doesn't have a profile setting to account for member time zones. All my posts are time stamped as if I'm in the UK. Nuts.
Last Edited by SteveLedger on 05/04/2015 - 06:46

George Lazarette

Link Posted 05/04/2015 - 07:33
SteveLedger wrote:
It's just poor planning without regard to International members, that's all.
Didn't you know the the UK is the centre of the universe?

I've always found it odd that it's the only forum I know which doesn't have a profile setting to account for member time zones. All my posts are time stamped as if I'm in the UK. Nuts.

It shouldn't be beyond the wit of man to send an email newsletter to our foreign friends, or, if that is what they prefer, to charge extra so that mail directed to the penal colonies could be sent on those new-fangled flying machines.

After all, this is now an international forum (dot com, no less), whose tentacles stretch far beyond the White Cliffs of Dover; nay, even beyond the exotic Sweater Islands (Guernsey and Jersey to you and me).

Perhaps, though, there is a dark motive behind the mail delays. Perhaps the powers that be are quietly building up their Pentax collections by entering - and winning - the competitions (under (noms de plume of course, to avert suspicion), and don't want competition from hordes of Antipodean Ansel Adamses.

Who knows, but I scent a conspiracy.

G
(He's on the case)
Keywords: Charming, polite, and generally agreeable.

Horst

Link Posted 05/04/2015 - 07:37
Thanks Steve.

The problem is, not that it is out by only a few hours, but by a whole month.

Thanks for telling me, that the UK is the centre of the universe.

Here in the colonies we are not so up to date. Possibly, because of the time zone.

When it is daytime in the UK, It is night in Australia and we are all asleep when world changing
events occur
So we miss out on all this and stay ignorant.

Regards, Horst

George Lazarette

Link Posted 05/04/2015 - 08:03
Horst wrote:
Thanks Steve.

The problem is, not that it is out by only a few hours, but by a whole month.

Thanks for telling me, that the UK is the centre of the universe.

Here in the colonies we are not so up to date. Possibly, because of the time zone.

When it is daytime in the UK, It is night in Australia and we are all asleep when world changing
events occur
So we miss out on all this and stay ignorant.

Regards, Horst

Horst, I am not sure you pioneering chaps have grasped the concept of time zones. You're a mere 12 hours away, not 31 days.

In my opinion, this problem is nothing to do with time zones and everything to do with cleft sticks and antiquated communication systems.

It's becoming clear to me that Mr Bargh and his minions are unaware of Crocodylus Porosus, the salt-water croc, which lies in wait for his messengers as they swim across from Indonesia bearing your competition news.

Somebody lend them a flying-boat, please.

G
Really keen to see pictures of Ayers Rock at sunset. Sorry, I can't spell Uluru.

Horst

Link Posted 05/04/2015 - 08:19
Hi George, I didn't mean the normal time zone wich is now that we finished Daylight savings time only about 9 hrs.

However I meant the Starting and finish of the monthly competition, which arrives exactly 1 month to late.

Regards, Horst

NB. Our natives can't spell it either. They call it: Big lump in Ground"

George Lazarette

Link Posted 05/04/2015 - 08:39
Horst wrote:
Hi George, I didn't mean the normal time zone wich is now that we finished Daylight savings time only about 9 hrs.

However I meant the Starting and finish of the monthly competition, which arrives exactly 1 month to late.

Regards, Horst

NB. Our natives can't spell it either. They call it: Big lump in Ground"

It's OK, Horst, just pulling your leg.

I agree with you guys that it's a bit silly for an international forum (drum roll) to make no concessions to the fact that there is life beyond the UK, and often intelligent life at that.

G

tyronet2000

Link Posted 05/04/2015 - 10:17
Now I'm curious. Do those living further afield than the UK not get the same forum page as we who live here. On the heading Gallery there is drop down menu with the the sub heading Competitions. Clicking on that takes one to the competition headers which shows subject and closing date. Our antipodean friends have no problem posting to other parts of the forum with current messages. At the moment a lot of notifications from Pentax User dot Com go into the spam folder despite filters. Perhaps this is because my ISP uses servers in Germany?
Regards
Stan

PPG

SteveLedger

Link Posted 05/04/2015 - 10:44
I believe the problem is not the site or it's navigation (it's global, everyone sees the same thing, Stan) but the newsletter timing.

I haven't signed up for the PU newsletter, but I do receive one from a British software company, spot specials and so on. Due to our time difference (we're ahead of you lot) they are often received the day the offer closes.

Horst

Link Posted 12/04/2015 - 10:42
It is quite amazing, None of the management commented on this problem, or should I say stuff up.

It seem if it is something they muck up, then there is deadly silence.

A while ago I wrote some comments which where not quite to the liking of the so called management, they where on to me like a tone of bricks.

it took only seconds to warn me , what a bad boy I was and should I do it again, I would be banned from the forum for a week. ( Naughty , naughty !!!) I did it again and within a flash, I was banned.

However now, it seems : "Nothing, Deadly silence" Why?

Regards, Horst

johnriley

Link Posted 12/04/2015 - 10:53
Hi Horst

No plot I'm afraid, but I guess management don't read every thread, nor do they claim to. You can put in a report about the issue, but I'm still not personally sure why it's a problem. We all know when months start and end, so planning an entry to the monthly or weekly competitions shouldn't be an issue should it?

I haven't put in a report about it because I'm not clear yet what you're asking should be done, nor am I clear why you say it's a month out.

As regards you being a "bad boy", whatever it was is long forgotten, I've no idea now what it was, so it's better to just let it go and forget it. Once dealt with it's done.
Best regards, John

Horst

Link Posted 12/04/2015 - 11:21
What I am saying is quite simple:

When I receive the Pentax newsletter, The monthly competition is on its last day.

An Example: I received the last Newsletter on 1st April which is still 31st March in Europe (GB included)

But the monthly competition ends already on 31st of March. This does not give me very much time to do something about it. (about 9hrs)

Regards, Horst

johnriley

Link Posted 12/04/2015 - 11:42
But the monthly competition in your example started on 1st March Horst, so why not put in an entry earlier in March? At the beginning of the month go to the top menu bar of the site Gallery>Competitions and check out what the subject for the month is. Then you will have the rest of the month to sort out your entry. You don't have to wait for the newsletter to enter.

I hope that helps, but I remain puzzled as to why it's a problem.
Best regards, John

johnriley

Link Posted 12/04/2015 - 11:46
The current April competition has been running all month and you can enter here: https://www.pentaxuser.com/competitions/monthly--34---in-the-garden-447
Best regards, John

SteveLedger

Link Posted 12/04/2015 - 12:12
Hey Horst,
The newsletters are [at least] bi-monthly - you should receive one on the 16th of the month as well.

eg: Newsletter #204 16th March - also mentions Monthly competition #33 - Animal magnetism and it's closing date of 31st March.
https://www.pentaxuser.com/newsletter/pentax-user-newsletter-204

Maybe it's going into your trash/junk folder?
Add a Comment
You must be registered or logged-in to comment.