The dreaded K30 aperture motor failure strikes again

McGregNi

Link Posted 20/07/2016 - 18:52
There K1 is a big jump, both in features and price. I'd say the K50 is likely to provide the best value upgrade, or the K-S2 if you prefer that styling.
My Guides to the Pentax Digital Camera Flash Lighting System : Download here from the PentaxForums Homepage Article .... link
Pentax K7 with BG-4 Grip / Samyang 14mm f2.8 ED AS IF UMC / DA18-55mm f3.5-5.6 AL WR / SMC A28mm f2.8 / D FA 28-105mm / SMC F35-70 f3.5-4.5 / SMC A50mm f1.7 / Tamron AF70-300mm f4-5.6 Di LD macro / SMC M75-150mm f4.0 / Tamron Adaptall (CT-135) 135mm f2.8 / Asahi Takumar-A 2X tele-converter / Pentax AF-540FGZ (I & II) Flashes / Cactus RF60/X Flashes & V6/V6II Transceiver

canoebeyond

Link Posted 21/07/2016 - 16:11
AuraTodd wrote:
McGregNi wrote:
Fingers crossed its just something easy to sort out with the screen ....

?

I hope so. what is the next best Pentax camera body to upgrade from. The Ki apparently.

I'd take a look at the just to be released K-70 (upgrade from the K-50 and K-S2). Some reviews should be out before long (maybe a week?).
Another VERY good choice would be the pro grade K-3 II (available now from Amazon for $730):

https://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/B00WBIYADC/ref=dp_olp_new?ie=UTF8&condit...

AuraTodd

Link Posted 21/07/2016 - 17:15
canoebeyond wrote:
AuraTodd wrote:
Quote:
Fingers crossed its just something easy to sort out with the screen ....

?

I hope so. what is the next best Pentax camera body to upgrade from. The Ki apparently.

I'd take a look at the just to be released K-70 (upgrade from the K-50 and K-S2). Some reviews should be out before long (maybe a week?).
Another VERY good choice would be the pro grade K-3 II (available now from Amazon for $730):

https://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/B00WBIYADC/ref=dp_olp_new?ie=UTF8&condit...

I'm a bit strapped for cash, this is why my camera braking down now is very upsetting. Went to Castle cameras this morning. They can't find out what's wrong with it, so for 25 have sent it away to be pocked about etc. I'd like to upgrade the body not to a K70 but a K500, the K70 is a bit far out of my price range.

Are they realiable, the K500?
Always be kind to people

link

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Photographs-by-an-angel/262352847143059

link

McGregNi

Link Posted 21/07/2016 - 19:36
The K500 was not widely taken up by forum members, but we didn't hear of any particular repeating reliability issues. If you can find one it should prove to be great value, and the image quality is very good I believe. It may well be a very good option for you.
My Guides to the Pentax Digital Camera Flash Lighting System : Download here from the PentaxForums Homepage Article .... link
Pentax K7 with BG-4 Grip / Samyang 14mm f2.8 ED AS IF UMC / DA18-55mm f3.5-5.6 AL WR / SMC A28mm f2.8 / D FA 28-105mm / SMC F35-70 f3.5-4.5 / SMC A50mm f1.7 / Tamron AF70-300mm f4-5.6 Di LD macro / SMC M75-150mm f4.0 / Tamron Adaptall (CT-135) 135mm f2.8 / Asahi Takumar-A 2X tele-converter / Pentax AF-540FGZ (I & II) Flashes / Cactus RF60/X Flashes & V6/V6II Transceiver
Last Edited by McGregNi on 21/07/2016 - 19:38

jemx99

Link Posted 21/07/2016 - 19:58
AuraTodd wrote:

I'm a bit strapped for cash, this is why my camera braking down now is very upsetting. Went to Castle cameras this morning. They can't find out what's wrong with it, so for 25 have sent it away to be pocked about etc. I'd like to upgrade the body not to a K70 but a K500, the K70 is a bit far out of my price range.

I'd hang on a bit Louise and see what Castle Cameras find out. Even if it is the aperture motor failing it could still work out cheaper getting the camera repaired, and mine since being repaired has worked perfectly. Don't forget forum members get a discount from Johnsons Photopia.

SteveEveritt

Link Posted 21/07/2016 - 22:30
I bought one off here for a workmate's daughter, a white stormtrooper. She loves it, I gave her a Pentax A 50mm f1.7 too and it's her fave lens.
However the dreaded shutter motor failure reared its ugly head and she was devastated. Her dad was none too pleased either. So he set about getting it fixed FOC and succeeded
While we are still part of Europe you have certain rights and goods are expected to last a period of time from purchase. Not sure how the girls dad worded his emails but he used this website to his advantage and Pentax fixed the motor for free.

http://europa.eu/youreurope/citizens/consumers/shopping/guarantees-returns/index...
My Flickr link

"Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans" (John Lennon)

JohnX

Link Posted 21/07/2016 - 23:34
SteveEveritt wrote:
I bought one off here for a workmate's daughter, a white stormtrooper. She loves it, I gave her a Pentax A 50mm f1.7 too and it's her fave lens.
However the dreaded shutter motor failure reared its ugly head and she was devastated. Her dad was none too pleased either. So he set about getting it fixed FOC and succeeded
While we are still part of Europe you have certain rights and goods are expected to last a period of time from purchase. Not sure how the girls dad worded his emails but he used this website to his advantage and Pentax fixed the motor for free.

http://europa.eu/youreurope/citizens/consumers/shopping/guarantees-returns/index...

Setting aside any EU legislation, which hasn't all been adopted by the UK, you still have a case to argue if a good fails within 6 years of purchase and it is clear that the failure is due to an inherent fault. In this instance there are numerous reports of the aperture block failure to demonstrate it's an inherent problem.

Personally I find a quick letter to the manufacturer, giving them 14 days to respond normally does the trick, with a promise of action via the Small Claims Court if they fail to resolve the matter to your satisfaction. Only once have I needed to start the Small Claims process, which I copied 'them' into. They contacted me by return and we agreed a settlement.
Last Edited by JohnX on 21/07/2016 - 23:38

canoebeyond

Link Posted 22/07/2016 - 06:53
Quote:

Not sure about reliability but it's a downgrade from your K-30 and not WR. In which case repairing the K-30 may end up being a better option. If you don't need weatherproofing the K-S1 is capable and can be had at a lower price (or of course there's the K-50 with WR which is very similar to your K-30). Another consideration perhaps: only the K-70, the K-S1, K-S2 and K-3 II will be able to use the new line of KAF4 lenses.
Last Edited by canoebeyond on 22/07/2016 - 06:54

AuraTodd

Link Posted 22/07/2016 - 08:45
SteveEveritt wrote:

I don't know if that applies anymore seeing as were not in the EU anymore.

Quote:
Don't forget forum members get a discount from Johnsons Photopia

I think that's where C Cameras have sent my camera.
Always be kind to people

link

link

SteveLedger

Link Posted 22/07/2016 - 11:58
AuraTodd wrote:

That was quick.

I'd avoid the K-50 (K-500 was discontinued long ago) as it's basically a K-30 in a difeerent shell.
My advice would be to consider the K-S1 or K-S2.

AuraTodd

Link Posted 22/07/2016 - 15:00

greentricky

Link Posted 08/08/2016 - 18:19
My K50 is massively underexposed using the view finder but seems to be ok using live view. Is there any setting I've missed that could be causing this or is it most likely hardware? Of course it had to happen at the start of a fort night holiday
Pentax K-50
https://www.flickr.com/photos/103386117@N06/
Last Edited by greentricky on 08/08/2016 - 18:20

davidstorm

Link Posted 08/08/2016 - 19:59
SteveLedger wrote:
AuraTodd wrote:

That was quick.

I'd avoid the K-50 (K-500 was discontinued long ago) as it's basically a K-30 in a difeerent shell.
My advice would be to consider the K-S1 or K-S2.

We are still in the EU Louise, nothing has changed. The UK has to invoke Article 50 to even start the process of leaving and this has not been done, it is likely it won't be done until next year and even then it will take a couple of years to leave.

Regards
David
My Website http://imagesbydavidstorm.foliopic.com

Flickr

Some cameras, some lenses, some bits 'n' bobs

AuraTodd

Link Posted 09/08/2016 - 22:02
greentricky wrote:
My K50 is massively underexposed using the view finder but seems to be ok using live view. Is there any setting I've missed that could be causing this or is it most likely hardware? Of course it had to happen at the start of a fort night holiday

Sounds like your camera is going down the same path as my 'dead' one.
Always be kind to people

link

link

johnriley

Link Posted 09/08/2016 - 22:05
greentricky wrote:

You could check to see that you are not set to spot metering. This can cause exposure problems if unaware that it's set. Try centre weighted or matrix metering and that should solve that problem.
Best regards, John
Add a Comment
You must be registered or logged-in to comment.