That "J" shop.

RAB

Link Posted 27/01/2011 - 20:29
I was in a well known High Street retailer in Sauchiehall Street in Glasgow today, you know, the one which recently decided to stock Pentax products. I asked one assistant if I could handle the K-5 which was on display, at which point his colleague walked past and made a rather disparaging comment. "Dont mind him" said the assistant, "He takes the piss out of anyone who uses Pentax"

Well, Mr Jessop, be assured of this. I will not give your sales assistants the seemingly obvious displeasure of my company again, and Mr Canikon can stick his camera where even ISO 52000 wont work.
"He's not the Messiah, ..."

Hardgravity

Link Posted 27/01/2011 - 21:07
Now don't be like that rob, even canikony's have flashes!

It's always hard when the brain washed can't see how stupid they appear to others. Even canikony make some good cameras, but only some.

As for disparaging comments, report him to his head office, you never know, you might get his job as an enlightened photographer who actually knows how to use cameras.
Cheers, HG

K110+DA40, K200+DA35, K5+Tammy 18-250, a bag of lenses, bodies and other bits.

Mustn't forget the Zenits, or folders, or...

I've some gallerieshere CLICKY LINK! and my PPG entries.
Last Edited by Hardgravity on 27/01/2011 - 21:07

RAB

Link Posted 27/01/2011 - 22:02
Hi HG.

My "Mr Canikon" jibe was aimed at the less enlightened sales assistant, and not at the products on display.

Were it not for my historical brand loyalty and years of trouble-free Pentaxery, I might even be tempted over to the dark side.

As for a job with J*****s, er - no thanks.

Jumbo48

Link Posted 27/01/2011 - 22:38
I agree Rab who would want to work for a bunch of over priced rip off merchants. I would not give them the time of day, or my money.
Regards John/Jumbo

jackitec

Link Posted 27/01/2011 - 23:06
Dear Rab, I'm a bit disappointed in your attitude towards Canon and Nikon cameras, have you ever tried one?

I have been a Pentax user since 1975 having had a K200D, 2 K20D's and a K7 and now a P70, but there are other cameras that maybe better it's personal choice, it's not very nice to tell people to stick there cameras where ISO 52000 won't work.

you quote:
Were it not for my historical brand loyalty and years of trouble-free Pentaxery, but you upload a photo to the gallery taken with a Kodak camera,???

as I am from Greenock and I bought my first digital camera from the shop in Glasgow that you quote and it was an Olympus camera as Pentax didn't have a digital camera then and if you ever do buy a K5 will you ever use ISO 52000, I doubt it,

have a nice day,

Jack.

K10D

Link Posted 27/01/2011 - 23:12
jackitec wrote:
Dear Rab, I'm a bit disappointed in your attitude towards Canon and Nikon cameras, have you ever tried one?

I have been a Pentax user since 1975 having had a K200D, 2 K20D's and a K7 and now a P70, but there are other cameras that maybe better it's personal choice, it's not very nice to tell people to stick there cameras where ISO 52000 won't work.

you quote:
Were it not for my historical brand loyalty and years of trouble-free Pentaxery, but you upload a photo to the gallery taken with a Kodak camera,???

as I am from Greenock and I bought my first digital camera from the shop in Glasgow that you quote and it was an Olympus camera as Pentax didn't have a digital camera then and if you ever do buy a K5 will you ever use ISO 52000, I doubt it,

have a nice day,

Jack.

He did say that his jibe was at the assistant.

There's plenty of forum members that use other kit as well as Pentax. My first digi was also an Oly, a C3040, still have it and it does get used now and again.

Best regards....from the grey side.
cameradextrous _ Motorcycles etc. link

jackitec

Link Posted 27/01/2011 - 23:21
Yes Gary I know, but it was the Mr. Canikon can stick his camera I didn't like, no need for it,

regards,
Jack.

K10D

Link Posted 27/01/2011 - 23:43
I stick my Nikons where ever I please (within reason).

That old saying:

"div'n knock it, till yer try it, I've tried it, I use it, an its arl-reet".

Best regards
cameradextrous _ Motorcycles etc. link

jackitec

Link Posted 28/01/2011 - 00:01
Yes you can and Canon can,

best regards,

Jack.

fatspider

Link Posted 28/01/2011 - 10:21
I would have asked to speak to the store manager, complained about been insulted and asked for the address of Head Office, I would also have told them I would be contacting Pentax to inform them how well the store were promoting Pentax products.

What happened to "The Customer is Always Right"
My Names Alan, and I'm a lensaholic.
My PPG link
My Flckr link

davidtrout

Link Posted 28/01/2011 - 10:43
I agree with Alan, senior management should be aware of the conduct of their staff and Pentax should know just how well the dealers are trying to sell the product.
K10D wrote:
I stick my Nikons where ever I please (within reason).

That old saying:

"div'n knock it, till yer try it, I've tried it, I use it, an its arl-reet".

Best regards

That sounds more like a Geordie accent than a Teesside one Gary.roll:
PPG: http://www.pentaxphotogallery.com/artists/davidtrout
Last Edited by davidtrout on 28/01/2011 - 10:48

techno-terminator

Link Posted 28/01/2011 - 11:13
from RAB
Quote:
.....his colleague walked past and made a rather disparaging comment. "Dont mind him" said the assistant, "He takes the piss out of anyone who uses Pentax".......

I must say I would think that J.....s ' senior Management should be made well aware of how their 'trained' assistants treat customers , meaning the one NOT attending to RAB.

That's the height of discourtesy and would indeed make one inclined to stay away from the chain in future.

I can't think that Pentax themselves would be happy about this either.
let the education continue

proud owner of a couple of cameras and a few bits and bobs

RAB

Link Posted 28/01/2011 - 11:35
jackitec wrote:

you quote:

have a nice day,

Jack.

G'morning Jack.

First of all, I suspect you misinterpreted my comment about "Mr Canikon" as perhaps did HG. Read my second post above. Yes, it's not nice to tell people to stick their cameras ....etc however that comment was targeted towards someone who had indirectly suggested similar to me.

Yes, I uploaded a image taken with my wife's Kodak and as I said, "Not taken on my Pentax". The reason I uploaded that one was that it won first place in the prints section in a competition in my local club. Thought you might like it. (And yes, I still use that camera from time to time)

Will I ever use ISO 52000? Perhaps not. But if I had a k-5, I could if I wanted to. But again, I think you misinterpreted the humourous intent of that statement.

Finally, I stand by the content of my first post above. The second sales assistant in the shop was simply rude and disparaging. High street shops are competing against t'internet under a banner of "friendly local service and support". I feel that Jessops in Glasgow need to transmit that ethos to their staff, and from previous discussions/threads I have read, I reckon I'm not alone in my thoughts.

johnriley

Link Posted 28/01/2011 - 11:37
There's too much of this sort of thing going on in retail outlets. There are some good, knowledgable people out there though. Unfortunately at one swoop Jessops made all their assistant managers redundant a few years ago, thus removing at a stroke quite a lot of expertise.
Best regards, John

greynolds999

Link Posted 28/01/2011 - 12:06
It's funny because I know there is a big pentax fan working at Jessops in Edinburgh. In fact, despite the fact that the Jacobs next door is a better shop for pro/prosumers the sales staff aren't necessarily that different.

And it is difficult. I like a bit of banter and honesty in a camera shop. After all, if any of us were working in a camera shop and someone came in to buy a Sony because they'd seen an advert, wouldn't we wnat to steer them in another direction?

But the danger with banter is it can go too far or be misunderstood.
My Photobucket
Add a Comment
You must be registered or logged-in to comment.