Tethered laptops and camera drivers

jolyonsykes

Link Posted 21/05/2010 - 12:15
For those who wish to operate their *ist DS cameras from laptop computers, aka tethering, here are the links for the software, Remote Assistant:

Mac OS 10. http://www.pentaximaging.com.evohst.org/files/scms_docs/REMOTE%20Assistant_e.sit

Windows. http://www.pentaximaging.com.evohst.org/files/scms_docs/INSTRA01.EXE

However, I still haven't got this working on a MacBook Pro, OS X 10.5.8. Remote Assistant will open but all its functions are greyed out, indicating to me that it can't find the camera.

I have tried this with the camera's card in and out but it seems to make no difference. Logically, I would expect that the card should be out so that the computer doesn't see it as just another external drive.

I think I need to install driver software for a Pentax *ist DS on my Mac. This might have come with the original software for the camera but that disk is now unreadable and my attempts to download it from Pentax have been in vain. Hoya seems not to have bothered to keep those links unbroken...

Any suggestions are more than welcome.

Yours,
Jolyon

Mongoose

Link Posted 21/05/2010 - 16:51
have you updated the firmware on your DS?

The DS and DL were never officially supported in Remote Assistant, and the firmware update which enables SDHC cards also disables Remote Assistant capability.
you don't have to be mad to post here

but it does help

jolyonsykes

Link Posted 22/05/2010 - 01:08
Thanks, Mongoose.
I think the firmware has been updated. I bought the camera second hand last year and I think that was one of the selling points.
How can I find the version number and is it possible to revert to the original?
I do have the original disk, S-SW28, but it doesn't work on this OS. It's probably a PC disk. Pentax Installer just opens a blank window.
Yours,
Jolyon

Algernon

Link Posted 22/05/2010 - 14:59
I was browsing the classifieds to see what my old *ist DS would be worth when I came across this thread. You seem to be struggling so I thought I'd better point you in the right direction considering you bought the camera for tethered shooting. I've since had a K10D, K20D and now K-7 but from memory... v2.02 FW (latest I think) works fine on a PC with the *ist D software. When I first tried it I only put on the Remote Assistant and it didn't locate the camera. I then put the full package on and at first nothing. Then I searched the US Pentax Forum (which is the one I usually use) and found quite a few posts mainly saying that at first you had to persevere.... switch the camera on/off a few times... Close and open the Remote Assistant a few times until they find one another. After that it worked and they found each other and next time I used Remote Assistant it picked up the camera straight away.

When I put the K10D package on it showed up the two Remote Assistant's and gave me a choice which to use.... I don't think the K10D version picked up the *ist DS, but still worked with the Remote Assistant for the *ist D through the K10D browser.

Sorry I don't know about Mac's and I'm not a regular on here so maybe someone with a Mac can help.
Half Man... Half Pentax ... Half Cucumber

Pentax K-1 + K-5 and some other stuff

Algi

Algernon

Link Posted 24/05/2010 - 16:25
There seems to be some confusion over the version of RA for the *ist D?
The website lists 1.0/1.01 The PC version seems to be just 1.0,
possibly the Mac version is 1.01.

Algi

Algernon

Link Posted 24/05/2010 - 18:56
Just tried this on an XP computer that just had Digital Camera Utility v4.11 on it. I installed RA v1.0 and it picked up the *ist DS straight away. At first it didn't work because I had a 50mm manual focus lens on it and had the slide switch set to AF and the Menus set to allow AF in remote shooting. I left it as it was and put a 50mm AF lens on.... It worked first time, even the red dot for the AF pops up on the screen.

It only seems to capture as PEF regardless of what you set on the camera. If you set Jpg in RA it switches it back to PEF when you click to take.

Exposure was set to Manual but the remote exp. lock button will take a reading and set the camera to it. The RA green button does nothing. You can set aperture and speed from RA to whatever you want and it works OK.

The CD you have is the only one that came with the camera apart from the manual which was on another CD.

Algi

jolyonsykes

Link Posted 24/05/2010 - 23:13
Thanks to Mongoose and Algernon. I feel that I'm getting there. Did you have the camera's SD card in?
I still need someone with a Mac and an ist DS to confirm.

Algernon

Link Posted 25/05/2010 - 11:25
I had the card in, which I would think is the best way
although it does work without it. You could also try
going through a USB Hub. It's a fairly common problem
with PC's (on the later version of RA) because they have
varying USB hardware and sometimes RA won't work unless
it's through a hub.This is usually the case if you can
take one or two pics and then no more without closing
and opening RA. I wouldn't expect this problem from a
Mac though because they all have the same USB hardware.

An alternative would be an Eye-Fi Card, but you lose
control from the computer and time-lapse although you
could get a Chinese timer for that. You gain in not
having to use a lead and being able to use Jpegs.
Costs about 50 quid.

Algi

Algernon

Link Posted 30/05/2010 - 16:48
The Eye-Fi card is a lot quicker than the RA software.
It probably takes 5-10secs per jpeg to transfer over. You
can also transfer the card to another camera mid session
and it handles the file name diff. without any problems.

Well worth buying.

Algi

Algi
Last Edited by Algernon on 30/05/2010 - 16:48

amoringello

Link Posted 30/05/2010 - 17:00
Have to second the Eye-Fi option. Expensive but works much better than the RA garbage that Pentax created.

True that you do not have control from the computer for time-lapse, etc... but the Pentax software was so full of bugs I could never get more than two or three images taken in a row anyway.
I lost many shots because the Pentax software simply froze up or even caused the camera to freeze until I removed the batteries.

Abandoning efforts to get the RemoteAssist software working is just a good thing.

Algernon

Link Posted 30/05/2010 - 17:23
amoringello wrote:
Have to second the Eye-Fi option. Expensive but works much better than the RA garbage that Pentax created.

True that you do not have control from the computer for time-lapse, etc... but the Pentax software was so full of bugs I could never get more than two or three images taken in a row anyway.
I lost many shots because the Pentax software simply froze up or even caused the camera to freeze until I removed the batteries.

Abandoning efforts to get the RemoteAssist software working is just a good thing.

That sounds like the USB problem. I found it was solved by going
through a Belkin F5U231 4 way Hub. Strange thing was that it
didn't need the power supply connected?. Possibly drew power
off the PC or it's just a plain connection problem on the
PC USB card not mating 100% with the Pentax lead. Going through
a hub gives you a bit more badly needed distance anyway.

Algi

Algi

terje-l

Link Posted 30/05/2010 - 20:22
amoringello wrote:

It seems to be Windows- og PC hardware related rather than "garbage" from Pentax.
Best regards
Terry

K20D, Optio I10, DA 18-55 1:3.5-5.6 AL II, A 1:1.7/50, D FA 1:2.8/100 Macro, Sigma 70-300 1:4-5.6 APO DG Macro, Pentax AF 360FGZ

amoringello

Link Posted 30/05/2010 - 21:32
Hmmm, had same problem on three different machines with and without use of powered hubs.
No other hardware or software had problems on these machines.
I have not heard of the USB being an issue before, but will have to look into it if I find the need to use RA again.

Either way, the Eye-Fi seems quite reliable between the two of my machines to which I need to have it connect. I no longer have to worry about being on-site with customers and having my camera crash.

jolyonsykes

Link Posted 31/05/2010 - 01:28
Thanks again, Algernon, amoringello and Terry. Still no luck with RA but I am looking into the Eye-Fi option. Will that enable me to use the laptop as a viewfinder?
Yours,
Jolyon

terje-l

Link Posted 31/05/2010 - 07:38
That would require LiveView, I'm afraid. So the answer is no.
Best regards
Terry

K20D, Optio I10, DA 18-55 1:3.5-5.6 AL II, A 1:1.7/50, D FA 1:2.8/100 Macro, Sigma 70-300 1:4-5.6 APO DG Macro, Pentax AF 360FGZ
Add a Comment
You must be registered or logged-in to comment.