NYMR - Viewing points

fritzthedog

Link Posted 15/10/2010 - 08:41
Hi Guys

I intend taking the gear up to the NYMR this weekend to take a look at their "trains in wartime" event.

Although I know the area reasonably well, I have only taken the camera up there once before and stuck to photographing at the stations - or very close to them.

Does anybody know of any good train viewing points along the track that are either easy to get to by car or not too much of a hike from a station?

Carl
No matter how many lenses I have owned - I have always needed just one more
Last Edited by fritzthedog on 15/10/2010 - 08:41

davidtrout

Link Posted 15/10/2010 - 12:06
I'll be at Pickering tomorrow, Saturday to photograph the 1940s re-enactment events. The base there seems to be the railway station so you can combine steam trains with people in period costumes.
Along the track there is the remote station at Levisham, reached along a minor moorland road from the main Whitby-Pickering road. Grosmont is a good place for photos(that's where the TV police show Heartbeat is based) and the railway's headquarters at Goathland is well worth a visit. Between these places its possible to find good tackside locations.
Might see you there Carl, I'll be with a bunch of mainly Nikon and Canon users from Durham Photographic Society.
David
PPG: http://www.pentaxphotogallery.com/artists/davidtrout

Dangermouse

Link Posted 15/10/2010 - 15:14
Your best bet is probably to get hold of an OS map of the area and look for locations where a public right of way crosses or comes close to the line. Bear in mind that you're not allowed to just hop over a wall and across an empty field to get closer. You may also find the location has been staked out by the stepladder and giant tripod brigade, especially if you pick one which is very close to a road.

Please also go to the railway and spend a few quid there - I know there's a lot of grumbling in the preserved railway world about people who turn up, take photos, but don't spend anything to help keep it running. Even if you just buy a cuppa and a sandwich in the cafe you're helping, and the food in those is usually reasonably priced and excellent!
Matt

Shooting the Welsh Wilderness with K-m, KX, MX, ME Super and assorted lenses.

johnriley

Link Posted 15/10/2010 - 15:58
IIRC there's a footpath that follows much, if not all, of the line.
Best regards, John

fritzthedog

Link Posted 15/10/2010 - 16:27
Thanks Guys

...and Matt - rest assured - I always spend - and have already bought my train ticket for tomorrow - I intend hopping on and off steam trains all day long - can't resist
No matter how many lenses I have owned - I have always needed just one more

DRM098

Link Posted 15/10/2010 - 17:35
Have a look on Youtube, just put NYMR into the search, and you'll get a few ideas. For a south bound train if you want to catch the loco working hard just north of Goathland looking north towards Darholme Bridge is a superb spot, and the Beckhole area is also good.

David
K20D, Pentax 18-55AL II, Pentax-A 28mm f2.8, Pentax-M 50mm f1.7 (fabulous lens!), Pentax-m 100mm f4, Domiplan 50mm 2.8 M42, Lydith 30mm 3.5 M42 (10 blade iris!).
Flikr
Add a Comment
You must be registered or logged-in to comment.