teleconverters
Posted 06/08/2013 - 08:02
Link
What lens do you want to use it with?
'
'
Half Man... Half Pentax ... Half Cucumber
Pentax K-1 + K-5 and some other stuff
Algi
Pentax K-1 + K-5 and some other stuff
Algi
Posted 06/08/2013 - 20:51
Link
at the moment I have the DA L 55-300 but I'm also casting around for a faster 300 tele if I can find one at a reasonable price.
Pentax K3, DA 18-55 WR, Sigma 50-500 EX DG HSM, Pentax M-50, a bucket load of SD cards, some lights and a lightbox
Posted 06/08/2013 - 21:19
Link
The 55-300mm is a great lens, but it doesn't take to teleconverters too well. I really wouldn't bother with that path.
You'd be much better served with the Pentax 300mm and TC.
You'd be much better served with the Pentax 300mm and TC.
Best regards, John
Posted 06/08/2013 - 21:23
Link
The 55-300mm works very well with a TC.
This was at about 280mm + TC Handheld K-5 200ISO

Edit: Just noticed you have the 55-300mm that hasn't
got Quickshift, in which case I would change the lens
first for the more expensive version otherwise it
huns for focus quite a bit. It's better to set the focus
at infinity before using AF
'
This was at about 280mm + TC Handheld K-5 200ISO

Edit: Just noticed you have the 55-300mm that hasn't
got Quickshift, in which case I would change the lens
first for the more expensive version otherwise it
huns for focus quite a bit. It's better to set the focus
at infinity before using AF
'
Half Man... Half Pentax ... Half Cucumber
Pentax K-1 + K-5 and some other stuff
Algi
Pentax K-1 + K-5 and some other stuff
Algi
Posted 06/08/2013 - 21:30
Link
johnriley wrote:
Not with mine it didn't, which one was that Algi?
Jessop 1.7x TC also works well with the Sigma 150-500mm.Not with mine it didn't, which one was that Algi?
That shot was straight from a JPG although I took RAW as well.
'
Half Man... Half Pentax ... Half Cucumber
Pentax K-1 + K-5 and some other stuff
Algi
Pentax K-1 + K-5 and some other stuff
Algi
Posted 06/08/2013 - 21:43
Link
Half Man... Half Pentax ... Half Cucumber
Pentax K-1 + K-5 and some other stuff
Algi
Pentax K-1 + K-5 and some other stuff
Algi
Posted 06/08/2013 - 21:55
Link
so what is the name of the pentax 55-300 with quickshift because that is my one gripe with my existing DA L 55-300 ED, it hunts......a lot.
for airshows I want a fast 300 lens to get round that, sometimes the 55-300 I have just hunts and I have to zoom right back to 55 to re-acquire and have it lock in.
the jessops 1.7 TC sounds good. is there more to the model number I should be looking for than just jessops 1.7 tc?
I had been considering the kenko 1.5 pz-af or the tamron pz-af 1.4 but am struggling to see why the tamron is double the price of the kenko.
what sort of figure should I be seeing the jessops priced at?
do you shoot moving action with your 55-300 + TC setup? because that is my main use, action ie air shows, ie fast moving aircraft.
for airshows I want a fast 300 lens to get round that, sometimes the 55-300 I have just hunts and I have to zoom right back to 55 to re-acquire and have it lock in.
the jessops 1.7 TC sounds good. is there more to the model number I should be looking for than just jessops 1.7 tc?
I had been considering the kenko 1.5 pz-af or the tamron pz-af 1.4 but am struggling to see why the tamron is double the price of the kenko.
what sort of figure should I be seeing the jessops priced at?
do you shoot moving action with your 55-300 + TC setup? because that is my main use, action ie air shows, ie fast moving aircraft.
Pentax K3, DA 18-55 WR, Sigma 50-500 EX DG HSM, Pentax M-50, a bucket load of SD cards, some lights and a lightbox
Posted 06/08/2013 - 22:01
Link
SMC Pentax-DA 55-300m has QuickShift, SMC Pentax-DA L doesn't.
Best regards, John
Posted 06/08/2013 - 22:02
Link
Lancer3397 wrote:
for airshows I want a fast 300 lens to get round that, sometimes the 55-300 I have just hunts and I have to zoom right back to 55 to re-acquire and have it lock in.
According to this thread that is all down to user error and not the lens.for airshows I want a fast 300 lens to get round that, sometimes the 55-300 I have just hunts and I have to zoom right back to 55 to re-acquire and have it lock in.
Using a teleconverter on the 55-300mm will make the AF a whole lot worse for airshows.
Posted 06/08/2013 - 22:06
Link
great, thanks for that.
if I can source one of these I think that will make me a lot happier, get a good TC to go with it and then sell my existing 55-300.
if I can source one of these I think that will make me a lot happier, get a good TC to go with it and then sell my existing 55-300.
Pentax K3, DA 18-55 WR, Sigma 50-500 EX DG HSM, Pentax M-50, a bucket load of SD cards, some lights and a lightbox
Posted 06/08/2013 - 22:33
Link
well as long as it works in AF mode with the modern lenses I don't mind.
I was just leery of some teleconverters because a lot of older ones won't do AF and I 've seen some threads advising people to get a teleconverter that is marked PZ-AF to address that issue.
I was just leery of some teleconverters because a lot of older ones won't do AF and I 've seen some threads advising people to get a teleconverter that is marked PZ-AF to address that issue.
Pentax K3, DA 18-55 WR, Sigma 50-500 EX DG HSM, Pentax M-50, a bucket load of SD cards, some lights and a lightbox
Add Comment
To leave a comment - Log in to Pentax User or create a new account.



135 posts
13 years
Harrogate
I've read recently that I should really consider the sigma 1.4 EX DG if I'm using a sigma lens as they are designed to be matched together.
alternatively, the Tamron PZ-AF MC 1.4 and the Kenko PZ-AF 1.5 are talked about quite highly, however, the Tamron appears to be double the price of the Kenko but I have no idea if it justifies that price difference?
I did read one review that raved about the Tamron and said it lost no quality at all which I just don't believe. I realise there are lots of Teleconverters and you really do get what you pay for, but retention of autofocus is a big plus for me and I don't want to go beyond 1.4-1.5 as far increase in mm goes.
can people comment on the Kenko and tamron at all? is the tamron worth £130 notes more in price?