Visit MPB Visit MPB Visit MPB

Compare wide lenses

ronyzmbow
Posted 11/08/2013 - 06:49 Link
I have posted this in the other Pentax forum, but feel the need for more input from fellow Pentax users -

I am out for a new wide lens. The 2 lenses which made it to the top for me are
Tamron SP AF 10-24mm F3.5-4.5 Di II LD
and
Pentax smc DA 15mm f/4 ED AL Limited
I sure know they are not of the same category and I am fully aware of the differences between them.
I read a lot on the net and compare sample images - that's the best one can do in order to get information and decide.
The important factors for me are sharpness and true to life colors - and here is where I ask for advice.

When I compare full size images from DP Review - I tend to think that the Tamron lens is sharper than the Pentax.
Is it true?
How good is the Tamron lens in terms of sharpness and colors?
How do they compare?
Does anyone have any experience with both?
Samples to compare?

From PentaxForums.com: http://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-slr-lens-discussion/233895-compare-wid...
vic cross
Posted 11/08/2013 - 07:39 Link
You should throw the Sigma 10-20 into the mix. It's a cracker. I'm sure anyone on here who has one will tell you the same. It has a very good reputation and I love mine.
CHEERS Vic.
Born again biker with lots of Pentax bits. Every day I wake up is a good day. I'm so old I don't even buy green bananas.
ronyzmbow
Posted 11/08/2013 - 09:34 Link
vic cross wrote:
You should throw the Sigma 10-20 into the mix. It's a cracker. I'm sure anyone on here who has one will tell you the same. It has a very good reputation and I love mine.
CHEERS Vic.

Thanks, Vic
My main concern with a third party lens is mainly the colors (and sharpness).
My experience with the colors of Tamron is bad, actually very bad. I own the Tamron 70-300mm F4-5.6 AF Di LD Macro. The lens is sharp but the colors are very different and far from the colors I get from my Pentax lenses. I work only in RAW and I have to work double the time on images taken with the Tamron to get the right colors. It can be very interesting to see compare images taken with the 2 lenses I mentioned in the original thread post or images compared to Sigma wide zoom. I understand that the Sigma colors are a bit cold.
CMW
Posted 11/08/2013 - 09:57 Link
I can only speak (highly) of the DA 15. Its edge sharpness wide open (f4) is not the very best, though in the centre it is pin sharp from the outset. As usual, the edge sharpness improves on stopping down a bit. With the right light, the colours are superb. To have it all in such a neat lens (with an equally neat inbuilt sliding hood) is a bonus. It is not my most used lens, but it is my joint favourite.
Regards, Christopher

ChristopherWheelerPhotography
Pentaxophile
Posted 11/08/2013 - 10:38 Link
ronyzmbow wrote:
[quote:3496ace15f="vic cross"]My experience with the colors of Tamron is bad, actually very bad.

Yet you list the Tamron 10-24 as one of your top two choices?

I had the Sigma 10-20 for a long time, and the DA15mm for a long time. The Sigma was very nice, perfectly sharp enough across the whole frame; a bit stretchy in the corners but I think that's just a fact of life with 10mm. I didn't notice anything untoward about the colours. There was a bit of vignetting which sometimes made vegetation look too dark at the edge of the frame.

The DA15mm gave lovely crystal clear images and colours - the edges were a bit blurred/OOF on close inspection (even if the centre was perfectly in focus) but overall the images popped.

But for versatilities sake, if I was choosing now it would be between the Sigma 8-16 and the Pentax 12-24.
[link=https://500px.com/will_brealey/[/link]
ronyzmbow
Posted 11/08/2013 - 10:44 Link
Pentaxophile wrote:
ronyzmbow wrote:
[quote:3496ace15f="vic cross"]My experience with the colors of Tamron is bad, actually very bad.

Yet you list the Tamron 10-24 as one of your top two choices?

I had the Sigma 10-20 for a long time, and the DA15mm for a long time. The Sigma was very nice, perfectly sharp enough across the whole frame; a bit stretchy in the corners but I think that's just a fact of life with 10mm. I didn't notice anything untoward about the colours. There was a bit of vignetting which sometimes made vegetation look too dark at the edge of the frame.

The DA15mm gave lovely crystal clear images and colours - the edges were a bit blurred/OOF on close inspection (even if the centre was perfectly in focus) but overall the images popped.

But for versatilities sake, if I was choosing now it would be between the Sigma 8-16 and the Pentax 12-24.

I like the range of the Tamron and I guess it has better colors than the Tamron 70-300. Price is also a consideration and the Pentax 12-24 is out of my budget. Still would like to see compare images, best if ut is under the same conditions.
PJMcKenna
Posted 11/08/2013 - 11:35 Link
I've been using the Sigma 10-20 f4-5.6 for the last five years and can't say I've noticed any colour issue, I agree with what both Vic and Will have said about the general performance of the Sigma, I've always found it to deliver good, consistent results. The only time I've ever had vignetting with the 10-20 has been if I've done something daft like expecting my external flash to cover anything less than 13mm in focal length. If the Pentax 12-24's out on cost grounds, the Sigma's the way to go in my view at least.

Cheers Paul
Cheers Paul

Pentax K5, DA 18-55 WR, DA 18-135 WR, DA 55-300 ED, DA 35 f2.8 Macro Limited, A 50 f1.7, DA 50 f1.8
Samsung GX10, D-Xenon 18-55, SEF-36PZF Flash
Sigma 10-20 EX DC f4-5.6
wvbarnes
Posted 11/08/2013 - 11:45 Link
I too had the Sigma 10 - 20 F4 - F5.6 for a time from new. It distorts a lot at 10mm especially if you don't keep it at 90 degrees to subjects. I never had vignetting issues that I'm aware of. A top notch lens for a keen price if you get the use out of it. I just found it half a kilo more than i wanted in my camera bag.

I now has the DA15mm Ltd in my bag and much prefer it and the weight size reduction At some point I realised i didn't often enough want a 10 mm lens.
aliengrove
Posted 11/08/2013 - 11:54 Link
Having just bought a Sigma 8-16 I'd recommend it over the 10-20, with the proviso that if you want to use filters then the 10-20 is the better choice. The 8-16 is definitely sharper, even to the point that I think I prefer it to the 15mm ltd. The 15mm ltd. is a fantastic little lens, and very handy when space is at a premium, but the edge sharpness lets it down imo.

The coating on the Sigma 8-16mm also seems to do something with blue skies that gives better colour than the 10-20. I'm still experimenting with the lens but initial impressions are it's the best wide-angle zoom I have come across.
Defragged
Posted 11/08/2013 - 12:53 Link
I too own the Sigma 8-16 and it has to be my favorite lens. I you want to go wide, 8mm is as wide as it gets and SRS have it at a very good price.

Just take a look at the 8-16club link it's impressive. Just don't get hung about using filters though.

Goog luck with your search...
C.O.L.B.A.S victim
(Compulsive Obsessive Lens Buying Addiction Syndrome)

What you need are lenses, more lenses, bigger lenses, better lenses, faster lenses, vintage lenses and when you have these, your pictures will be perfect!

Add Comment

To leave a comment - Log in to Pentax User or create a new account.