Visit MPB Visit MPB Visit MPB

Discussion weekly comp #185 Children at Work or Play.

darlene
Posted 24/01/2011 - 05:10 Link
Here is your place to discuss the weekly comp.

If anyone has a question please feel free to PM me.
Edited by darlene: 24/01/2011 - 05:11
Hyram
Posted 24/01/2011 - 08:50 Link
Sorry darlene but too restrictive a topic for me

Could not possibly risk taking photographs of children at work or play
Hyram

Bodies: K20D (2), K10D, Super A, ME Super, Auto 110 SLR, X70, Optio P70
Pentax Glass: DA* 300, DA* 60-250, DA* 50-135, DA* 16-50, DA 70 Ltd, FA 31 Ltd, DA 35 Ltd, DA 18-55 (2), DA 12-24, DA 10-17, M 200, A 35-70, M 40, M 28, Converter-A 2X-S, 1.4X-S, AF 1.7, Pentax-110 50, Pentax-110 24
Other Glass: Sigma 105 macro, Sigma-A APO 75-300
Flash: Metz 58 AF-1 P, Pentax AF160FC ringflash, Pentax AF280T
geordie01
Posted 24/01/2011 - 09:20 Link
Hyram wrote:
Sorry darlene but too restrictive a topic for me

Could not possibly risk taking photographs of children at work or play

yeah i agree could end up in bother
Pentaxophile
Posted 24/01/2011 - 09:30 Link
Darlene, stick to your guns.

If people don't like the topic, they don't have to enter! I will be.

If it was the fortnightly comp, fair enough. But the weekly comp isn't time restricted, and I'm sure most of us have taken shots including children at some point.
[link=https://500px.com/will_brealey/[/link]
Edited by Pentaxophile: 24/01/2011 - 09:30
davidtrout
Posted 24/01/2011 - 09:43 Link
Pentaxophile wrote:
Darlene, stick to your guns.

If people don't like the topic, they don't have to enter! I will be.

If it was the fortnightly comp, fair enough. But the weekly comp isn't time restricted, and I'm sure most of us have taken shots including children at some point.

We should remember that photographing strangers' children is taboo in the UK but it seems OK in most other countries.
We Brits have our own children and grandchildren we can snap.
David
fatspider
Posted 24/01/2011 - 09:54 Link
Quote:
We Brits have our own children and grandchildren we can snap.

Yes, and sadly at least one member of this forum has had abuse shouted at him for photographing them in a park.

But I do agree that for the majority of members the topic shouldn't be a problem.
My Names Alan, and I'm a lensaholic.
My PPG link
My Flckr link
gunner
Posted 24/01/2011 - 09:57 Link
I think its a great subject - looking forward to seeing some nice portrait work.

Not suggesting anyone hangs around school gates of course...
thoughton
Posted 24/01/2011 - 10:04 Link
Sounds good to me too Darlene, but then again I have kids

Hyram you'll just have to photoshop a picture of an adult so it looks like a kid
Tim
AF - Pentax K5, Sigma 10-20/4-5.6, Tamron 17-50/2.8, Sigma 30/1.4, Sigma 70-200/2.8, Tamron 70-300/4-5.6
MF - Vivitar CF 28/2.8, Tamron AD2 90/2.5, MTO 1000/11
Stuff - Metz 58 AF1, Cactus v4, Nikon SB24, Raynox 150, Sigma 1.4x TC, Sigma 2x TC, Kenko 2x macro TC, Redsnapper 283 tripod, iMac 27”, Macbook Pro 17”, iPad, iPhone 3G
FlickrFluidrPPGStreetPortfolio site
Feel free to edit any of my posted photos! If I post a photo for critique, I want brutal honesty. If you don't like it, please say so and tell me why!
Gwyn
Posted 24/01/2011 - 10:05 Link
What a sad state of affairs.

Those initial reactions make it sound as though it is illegal to photograph any child in Britain.

Now I know there are a lot of paranoid people out there, but almost everyone has family, and at some stage they were probably children and you have photographed them.

You could approach a friend/neighbour/family member with children and offer them a print or two in return for a photo session with the kids. Go to a playground with them, or the zoo, take the parents along too, to protect you from flak, or get them drawing, playing with Lego or something else which distracts them from the camera.

This is not a time restricted competition, so you can use older photos as well.

Good luck to everyone who enters. I shall look forward to seeing your entries.
DrOrloff
Posted 24/01/2011 - 10:15 Link
Very good, challenging subject.
sandinista
Posted 24/01/2011 - 11:23 Link
Quote:

Those initial reactions make it sound as though it is illegal to photograph any child in Britain.

I'm afraid this about sums it up for a photographer in the UK who would dare to try and photograph a child who wasn't related to them. Of course one could ask permission, but the individual would be viewed with a great deal of distrust.

Such is the all pervading atmosphere of paranoia surrounding this subject.
Great simplicity is only won by an intense moment or by years of intelligent effort. T.S Eliot

Gear Not enough!!
PPG
Flickr
My not so new website
Blythman
Posted 24/01/2011 - 11:49 Link
sandinista wrote:
Quote:

I'm afraid this about sums it up for a photographer in the UK who would dare to try and photograph a child who wasn't related to them. Of course one could ask permission, but the individual would be viewed with a great deal of distrust.

Its the price we pay for the society we live in. Watching breakfast tv this morning where an expert (he spent 7 years undercover posing as a young girl/boy on the internet) reckoned that if a 12-13 yr old girl (for example) went on an internet chat room, grooming would start within 7 seconds.

We've all read stories in the newspapers or on tv about the taking and distribution of innaprpriate pictures.

So, I don't take pics of kids who aren't close family. Its just the way it is. I don't want strangers taking candids of my grand-daughter in public places either.
Alan

PPG
Flickr
Edited by Blythman: 24/01/2011 - 11:50
johnriley
Posted 24/01/2011 - 12:18 Link
I've started off the competition with my entry, so time to put our thinking caps on and find something good that fits the brief!
Best regards, John
robbie_d
Posted 24/01/2011 - 14:22 Link
Blythman wrote:
sandinista wrote:
Quote:

Its the price we pay for the society we live in. Watching breakfast tv this morning where an expert (he spent 7 years undercover posing as a young girl/boy on the internet) reckoned that if a 12-13 yr old girl (for example) went on an internet chat room, grooming would start within 7 seconds.

We've all read stories in the newspapers or on tv about the taking and distribution of innaprpriate pictures.

So, I don't take pics of kids who aren't close family. Its just the way it is. I don't want strangers taking candids of my grand-daughter in public places either.

If you're in a public place, what grounds do you have to stop someone?
If you can't say something nice about Pentax, you won't say anything at all.

Apparently.
Blythman
Posted 24/01/2011 - 14:29 Link
Did I say I had grounds? Surely, I'm allowed an opinion.
Alan

PPG
Flickr

Add Comment

To leave a comment - Log in to Pentax User or create a new account.