Stupid Local Council

techno-terminator

Link Posted 26/08/2010 - 16:58
I get the feeling this is going to cause a lot of bad publicity for South Lanarkshire Council [ yes it's where I live ]
link

Read and shudder

There is actually a piccie of him in the local rag - with his camera hanging round his neck = can't see the camera but the strap is a Pentax one and reputedly he worked for the BBC .

Of course the mistake was asking for permission , but in a way I can understand why he did so .
let the education continue

proud owner of a couple of cameras and a few bits and bobs

nass

Link Posted 26/08/2010 - 17:02
Not really - the council obviously doesn't want men taking piccies of kids in the park, hence the no. Good thing too imo. I'm sure that if he makes it obvious his pics are of flowers they'd say fine.
... just another middle-aged guy with a hobby. I have an extreme macro learning site at extreme-macro.co.uk - Pentax-centric, your feedback and comments would be appreciated!

mayday

Link Posted 26/08/2010 - 17:04
They sound a proper bunch of prats...And which part of the Data Protection act would that be etc etc
Regards
David

Retired at last - now all that time for photography - you would think: wink:

techno-terminator

Link Posted 26/08/2010 - 17:05
That was my feeling David

JohnX

Link Posted 26/08/2010 - 17:09
South Lanarkshire Council wrong on both counts - there's no UK or EU privacy or DPA infringement (or is South Lanarkshire outside the UK/EU?. Only grey area is possibly whether the land is deemed to be 'private'.

Hope someone tells the tog and gets him to challenge this under his Human Rights
Last Edited by JohnX on 26/08/2010 - 17:10

techno-terminator

Link Posted 26/08/2010 - 17:21
Well - I'll certainly be writing to the local rag about this .

After all if you are focussing on wild flowers etc you are most unlikely to catch passing people in your shot - and also I find that if folk see you are trying to compose a reasonable picture they do try and wait or make sure that they don't intrude on what they think you are photographing.

flossie

Link Posted 26/08/2010 - 17:26
nass wrote:
Not really - the council obviously doesn't want men taking piccies of kids in the park, hence the no. Good thing too imo.

This kind of (...being polite here) "complete paranoid rubbish" gets up my nose almost as much as the spurious and false data protection / human rights twaddle the council came up with. The world is not full of evil peadophiles out there getting their jollies from photographs of random kids playing in parks, even in the parallel unreality of Daily Wail land.
Still shooting in the dark (literally and metaphorically)...

dougf8

Link Posted 26/08/2010 - 17:27
hypocrites, while their officers run about under the RIP act intruding on tax payers. Parks are open shared public space, I'd like to see someone try the "right to privacy" thing.

Also @nass, with the number of men posting pictures of their kids on flickr/facebook with their names and ages and goodness knows what else the budding molester won't need to head to the park. So much arguing for privacy when the parents don't care.
Lurking is shirking.!

johnriley

Link Posted 26/08/2010 - 17:28
Be careful about asking for permission to do something that's perfectly legal. Photographers have been doing a lot of that lately.

As for the reply from the council, it doesn't really hold water does it? Data protection act? Human rights? All too believable unfortunately...
Best regards, John

techno-terminator

Link Posted 26/08/2010 - 17:37
dougf8

With attitudes like this from a Council I can't help wondering just how long before they put wardens / jobsworths on the street to stop us taking pics just in case we happen to catch some folk unawares and they can't run screaming away.

davidtrout

Link Posted 26/08/2010 - 17:46
Even if he did take pictures of people without their permission so what? Those of us with an interest in street photography or 'candids' do it all the time. Generally it is NOT against the law to take pictures in public places anywhere in the UK.
There are, however, certain common sense qualifications to take into account, such as not offending public decency or photographing anything that will bring the security forces down on you.
In the case of the disabled photographer he says all he wanted to do is photograph plants and flowers and if that is his genuine intention then why should he be prevented from doing so?
Generally pictures taken in public places are almost certain to have people in them. It is not reasonable to expect a photographer to get permission from everyone in a busy street, park, bus station or tourist attraction etc before snapping the scene.
The only legal grey area that the South Lanarkshire case raises is whether or not a 'public' park, owned by a local authority is a 'privately' owned location.
For example: Do you pay to enter? Do you need prior permission to enter the park? Is it openly accessible from a public place?
The UK seems to be the only place in the 'free' world where this sort of argument arises.
David
PPG: http://www.pentaxphotogallery.com/artists/davidtrout

techno-terminator

Link Posted 26/08/2010 - 17:51
David - it's openly accessible - no payment required

johnriley

Link Posted 26/08/2010 - 17:54
According to my English Heritage book of guidelines (provided when Images of England was still active) we are free to take pictures of anything and anyone from "publicly accessible land", which would include parks, roads, pathways, rights of way and church grounds.

I've actually never had a problem, but I guess there will be a first time. When it happens, I'll let you know.
Best regards, John

fatspider

Link Posted 26/08/2010 - 18:08
Sorry to hijack the thread but I was going to suggest a National Pentax User meet at Cambuslang Public Park. I hear they have some nice specimens of wildflower

I wonder what the Council would say to that
My Names Alan, and I'm a lensaholic.
My PPG link
My Flckr link

robbie_d

Link Posted 26/08/2010 - 18:33
nass wrote:
Not really - the council obviously doesn't want men taking piccies of kids in the park, hence the no. Good thing too imo. I'm sure that if he makes it obvious his pics are of flowers they'd say fine.

That's it, burn everyone holding a camera just in case, eh?

(can't find smiley with a shaking head)

You're not worried about the fact that the council are spuriously making laws up to serve their own purposes?
If you can't say something nice about Pentax, you won't say anything at all.

Apparently.
Last Edited by robbie_d on 26/08/2010 - 18:34
Add a Comment
You must be registered or logged-in to comment.