strobes with 2 AF360FGZ and k10d

Spacus

Link Posted 29/10/2010 - 10:20
Hi Chaps,
Am doing and event photo shooting at friend’s baby christening tomorrow. Am intending to setup strobes using 2 AF360FGZ and k10d (on wireless) as I always do. I have 3 umbrellas; shoot through, Silver and gold. I have only one stand for the brolly but have a second tripod and hotshoe for the other flashgun. My question is how high should the brolly be from my subject (or groups) and how do I use the second flashgun as a fill? I normally use it but sometimes not happy with the results as I use the onboard flash with the two, or is it better using a reflector instead. What setting would be best for the flashgun? and what mode would be best to have the k10d on at an event? especially when am intending to print there will be not much time for editing. Am not planning on taking any in RAW as it will take a while to process before printing.
Am also thinking which background to use( option of using the brick walls in the hall or setting up my muslin interfit white which would be too much to iron and very big. Please any advice on what you normally do will help. I have read a few topics here already sorry to take you chaps back a bit.

Thanks

techno-terminator

Link Posted 29/10/2010 - 10:30
Ummm - just a thought .

If you are doing the actual Christening Ceremony in the Church have you checked with the officiating Clergy that you are allowed to use all your lighting stuff ? I would have thought that 2 tripods and a brolly or two might be a bit more than he would be happy with .
let the education continue

proud owner of a couple of cameras and a few bits and bobs

Helpful

Spacus

Link Posted 29/10/2010 - 11:10
Sorry I should have mentioned, the setup will be at the reception in a separate hall, and yes lighting and the setup is allowed.

Anvh

Link Posted 29/10/2010 - 12:02
Don't want to comment on the setup.
I think you should use RAW though, it's not that big off an hassle to process and it gives you the ability to rescue shots better if you don't nailed the exposure for example.
And a good RAW photo takes 5 seconds to be ready for a print if you don't have that time

The modes you should use is Manual on the camera and Manual on the flash, that's the only way you have control over everything and can be sure the shots are the same again and again. White balance you can leave on Auto if you want, AWB works pretty well with flash light.
Stefan

K10D, K5
DA* 16-50, DA* 50-135, D-FA 100 Macro, DA 40 Ltd, DA 18-55
AF-540FGZ

Helpful

Spacus

Link Posted 29/10/2010 - 12:16
Thanks alot i will try those settings today. I tried sometime thought the wireless on manual mode but the flasgun did not fire might have done somthing wrong. The flash should still be on S not M or C I guess in this case!

thanks again

Anvh

Link Posted 29/10/2010 - 12:30
Spacus wrote:
The flash should still be on S not M or C I guess in this case!

Yes correct, the strobes should be set to Slave, the Master or Controller activated the Slaves.

You can also for a couple of bucks buy Yongnuo RF-602 or Cactus V4.
That way you don't need to work with a controller or master light to trigger the other strobes.
Stefan

K10D, K5
AF-540FGZ
Last Edited by Anvh on 29/10/2010 - 12:33

Helpful

gartmore

Link Posted 29/10/2010 - 12:37
Anvh wrote:
Spacus wrote:
The flash should still be on S not M or C I guess in this case!

Yes correct, the strobes should be set to Slave, the Master or Controller activated the Slaves.

You can also for a couple of bucks buy Yongnuo RF-602 or Cactus V4.
That way you don't need to work with a controller or master light to trigger the other strobes.

I think its doubtful that the OP would be getting wireless Tx/Rx and figuring it out for an event tomorrow.
Ken
“We must avoid however, snapping away, shooting quickly and without thought, overloading ourselves with unnecessary images that clutter our memory and diminish the clarity of the whole.” - Henri Cartier-Bresson -

Helpful

Spacus

Link Posted 29/10/2010 - 12:45
Thanks alot, also if I want to use the onboard flash to trigger both strobes would both have to be on S or one on M and S I on the flashgun?. As mentioned before I have used both strobes on few occassions but not really impressed with the results. End up with shadows from the the flash with no brolly which I expected from directly flash.

thank for the tips

Anvh

Link Posted 29/10/2010 - 13:07
Spacus wrote:
Thanks alot, also if I want to use the onboard flash to trigger both strobes would both have to be on S or one on M and S I on the flashgun?.

Like you said you want to use the onboard flash to trigger both strobes that means the onboard flash needs to be master or Controller so that it can trigger both the Strobes, they should be on Slave since they need to be trigger by the onboard flash. Be sure they all have the same wireless channel.

If work on with the strobes on manual is too complicated.
Set both strobes on P-TTL and set one to 2/3 and the other 1/3th.
One flash acts as main light then and the other flash a bit lighter, softening/filling in the shadows so to say.
You can control the overall output of these flashes by controlling the EV Flash compensation on your camera if you want.
If you go into the flash menu of the camera where you can select the flashes you can change the compensation.

Just set the setup up at home and play with it till you are confident you've control over it.

gartmore wrote:
I think its doubtful that the OP would be getting wireless Tx/Rx and figuring it out for an event tomorrow.

To be honest, I think those work simpler then setting up P-TTL wireless to trigger the flashes and work more reliably.
But it would be hard to get them so fast indeed.

Why do they always wait till the last minute before asking for advice, the same happened to fashion shooter last week.
You get a lot off advice without a real change to try them out.
Stefan

K10D, K5
AF-540FGZ
Last Edited by Anvh on 29/10/2010 - 13:09

Helpful

Spacus

Link Posted 29/10/2010 - 13:40
Thanks Guys
I think this will do it for me. I am pretty confortable with the 1 strobe but to really and expert on the 2 even though I have used it a few times. Am sure I would figure it out with your advise I have a subject to practice with now

big thanks will try and post so photos and wait for your comments.
I always welcome contractive critisism!!!!!

Anvh

Link Posted 29/10/2010 - 14:31
If you know how to work with one strobe then begin with that, setup it up perfectly and then add the other flash around 1 to 2 stops less of flash power it needs to be just enough to fill/soften the shadows a little bit from the main flash, it doesn't need to do much more. If you use too much power then it will create shadows on his own but if you keep it low the Main flash will overpower those shadows..

Hopefully this helps a bit.

As for the umbrella's use either the shoot through's for the softest light, you can place them pretty close you know so they would deliver quite a lot of light.
Or the silver ones since they use the light most effectively and they are quite neutral from colour.
Stefan

K10D, K5
AF-540FGZ
Last Edited by Anvh on 29/10/2010 - 14:37

Helpful

Mannesty

Link Posted 29/10/2010 - 14:45
If you are using the onbord flash to trigger the slaves wirelessly, as has been said, they need to be on the same wireless channel. To set them, simply attach a flash to the hotshoe, then power on the camera and flash. Repeat for the second flash.

Also, the onboard flash needs to be set to wireless operation and as either Master or Controller. When set to Master, the onboard flash will contribute light to the scene. As a Controller, it doesn't, or at least a negligable amount.

Finally, I think the maximum range of 'wireless' flash is about 4 metres for it to trigger reliably, but I could be wrong. Check the manual for the camera/flash in use. The maximum range may also be influenced by the ambient lighting conditions.
Peter E Smith

My flickr Photostream
Last Edited by Mannesty on 29/10/2010 - 14:46

Helpful
Add a Comment
You must be registered or logged-in to comment.