Street photography manners

Hardgravity

Link Posted 28/04/2013 - 11:37
OK, so a good day was had in Whitby at the Goth weekend but..

...the number of 'photographers' that didn't ask to take shots or say 'thanks' was appalling!

I don't know if I was being critical because they were non Pentax users, but when a bloke said 'Have you finished working that girl?' to another I found myself ready to go on the war path.

That 'girl' was my daughter, Honesty on this site, and she was giving her time freely!

How many Pro 'togs build a portfolio and publish images for cash without
asking or telling their victims?
Cheers, HG

K110+DA40, K200+DA35, K3 and a bag of lenses, bodies and other bits.

Mustn't forget the Zenits, or folders, or...

I've some gallerieshere CLICKY LINK! and my PPG entries.

greynolds999

Link Posted 28/04/2013 - 12:33
This has been the biggest cause of contention at Whitby.

There are too many photographers who see the people as free models.

I have seen too many occasions of photographers virtually imprisoning people for quite a long time, without realising that the person is getting stressed and tired.

This is one of the things that put me off going this time. The atmosphere can feel a little uncomfortable a little too often.
My Photobucket

bforbes

Link Posted 28/04/2013 - 13:06
greynolds999 wrote:
This is one of the things that put me off going this time. The atmosphere can feel a little uncomfortable a little too often.

Same thing here.
Barrie
Too Old To Die Young

http://www.pentaxphotogallery.com/artists/barrieforbes
https://www.flickr.com/photos/189482630@N03/

Algernon

Link Posted 28/04/2013 - 13:52
I hate photographers who just pop-up out of a bush!

'
Half Man... Half Pentax ... Half Cucumber

Pentax K-1 + K-5 and some other stuff

Algi

fatspider

Link Posted 28/04/2013 - 19:01
I have to confess I actually grabbed a couple of shots today of a young lady without asking first

She was very attractive and rather saucily dressed so the togs were all over her (figuratively speaking), I did wait a while longer and finally got to ask if I could go in closer for a couple of head and shoulder portraits, she had a great 40s look and her hair and make uo were excelent, I have no doubt she probably has a Model Mayhem page and is either already modeling or building a portfolio.

I really hope she contacts me for the pics as they look good on the laptop so should be even better once I get them home and properly prcessed, I may even post them here and make HG wish he'd come on the Sunday.

But, yes I also witnessed an awful lot of rudeness and monopolising of the more attractive girls by both male AND female photographers, and also overheard one tog reciting the law on photography in public places, I thought "yeah you creep, but it dosn't mean people have to stop and pose for you".

Having said all that I did have a lengthy chat with one chap who admitted I was the first person he'd actually asked for a picture, confessing that he was unsure of himself and not really a portrait photographer, I delicately told him to man up and just ask people and that he would get far better shots and also more respect from the "models"
My Names Alan, and I'm a lensaholic.
My PPG link
My Flckr link

fritzthedog

Link Posted 28/04/2013 - 19:08
Hi HG

Good to see you and the family yesterday and sorry to hear that comment about your daughter - I can imagine how I would have reacted!

I was down by the White Horse and Griffin and there was a 4 man "tag team" working the entrance to the yard next to it. 2 of them shepherding their prey in to the yard and 2 more waiting with a pile of reflectors. Once ensnared , their prey was subjected to a series of rudely delivered request to take up particular poses before being released. It was like watching sheep being sheared if that makes sense?

I listened to them for a few minutes - they were all members of the same club and had actually preplanned their approach and locations!

At the same time though Dave - I still think the majority of people were acting in a reasonable and courteous manner. I have noticed some bad behavior every time I have been and I have noticed there are hot-spot locations for it - which is why I avoided St Marys this time - that always seems the worst to me.

Carl
No matter how many lenses I have owned - I have always needed just one more
Last Edited by fritzthedog on 28/04/2013 - 19:10

Hardgravity

Link Posted 28/04/2013 - 19:44
There were a lot of people just grabbing shots on the street, not a problem but a thanks or nod of appreciation would be appreciated.

The 'clubs' weren't as bad as November, it seemed to be groups of togs, hell bent on getting what they wanted at any cost.

When that results in virtual kidnap it's gone to far. As a Steampunk I have the choice of saying yes or no, and my decision should be final.

As a photographer I find a pleasant request is usually met with a pleasant answer, I take only a few shots and try not to detain my target too long, always saying thanks when we part.

It's a shame that not all people have the same approach.
Cheers, HG

K110+DA40, K200+DA35, K3 and a bag of lenses, bodies and other bits.

Mustn't forget the Zenits, or folders, or...

I've some gallerieshere CLICKY LINK! and my PPG entries.

Smeggypants

Link Posted 28/04/2013 - 21:29
fritzthedog wrote:

I was down by the White Horse and Griffin and there was a 4 man "tag team" working the entrance to the yard next to it. 2 of them shepherding their prey in to the yard and 2 more waiting with a pile of reflectors. Once ensnared , their prey was subjected to a series of rudely delivered request to take up particular poses before being released. It was like watching sheep being sheared if that makes sense?

I listened to them for a few minutes - they were all members of the same club and had actually preplanned their approach and locations!

Carl

Apart from the fact they were obviously an obnoxious bunch, on a purely photographic level I could get no satisfaction from any photographs taken under these conditions. Even if the proceedings were polite and mutually consenting.

I like shooting people in a natural pose. Even at events where there are models I prefer to shoot the models when they are not posing. i.e having a fag or coffee break or retouching their makeup hair etc
[i]Bodies: 1x K-5IIs, 2x K-5, Sony TX-5, Nokia 808
Lenses: Pentax DA 10-17mm ED(IF) Fish Eye, Pentax DA 14mm f/2.8, Sigma 17-70mm f/2.8, Pentax-A 28mm f/2.8, Sigma 30mm F1.4 EX DC, Pentax-A 50mm f/1.2, Pentax-A 50mm f/1.4, Pentax-FA 50mm f/1.4, Pentax-A 50mm f/1.7, Pentax DA* 50-135mm f/2.8, Sigma 135-400mm APO DG, and more ..
Flash: AF-540FGZ, Vivitar 283

Honesty

Link Posted 28/04/2013 - 22:15
Snapping photos on the street at random is fine, but if you want anything close up, please ask.

Don't just stand infront of me, take a photos of my chest and say "One for the husband" with a big grin on your face.

If I weren't so dumbfounded I'd have had her camera, wiped the memory card and told her where to shove it!

Next year I have made a resolute decision to give back the rudeness that people bestow on me, with interest. And if Tony Fletcher (the initial complaint from HG above) comes near me I will decline him and walk away.

You simply cannot be that rude about people or to their faces. We are not a bowl of fruit that you can prod around and make pose for you! TF asked me to 'tilt my head'. Not in any normal way but instead like a dog looking at a gammon steak. What a D***. I will stand how I feel comfortable, and if I don't want to, I won't.

Unfortunately the only shaded part by the church on the hill was in one corner, so togs wanting more atmospheric shots were ushering people to that corner. I don't mind going there willingly but I wasn'taiming to be stood there for 45 minutes!!!
Whatever my Dad's got in the house...
Last Edited by Honesty on 28/04/2013 - 22:17

punkrockemo

Link Posted 28/04/2013 - 22:30
I have not witnesed behaviour like that being described hear, I am suprised that the Goth's & steam punks going put up with.

Apert from some of the beahviour described above being rude and more, if photographers conitune to behave in that manner people will become opnely hostile to photographers in general and it will become harder for anyone to get any photos.

johnriley

Link Posted 28/04/2013 - 23:00
We were at Whitby today along with 37 other ADAPS members. Sue was dressed up as were several of our group, so we were photographers and photographees.

I didn't witness anything but good humour and a pleasant day was had by all. We dined at the Tanglewood on the way back and have just got in the door.

Pictures to follow!
Best regards, John

fritzthedog

Link Posted 28/04/2013 - 23:21
Smeggypants wrote:
fritzthedog wrote:

Carl

Apart from the fact they were obviously an obnoxious bunch, on a purely photographic level I could get no satisfaction from any photographs taken under these conditions. Even if the proceedings were polite and mutually consenting.

I like shooting people in a natural pose. Even at events where there are models I prefer to shoot the models when they are not posing. i.e having a fag or coffee break or retouching their makeup hair etc

Totally agree Smeggy. It is extremely rare for me to ask anybody to pose - although I do often make use of the fact that somebody is posing for somebody else. I tend to use a longish lens and am never in anybody's face (Sigma 50-150 on Saturday) I have never asked anybody to stand in a particular way - nor would I.

Hannah - should this individual ask you next year - just tell him it is his turn first - then ask him to pose for you bending over and sticking his head up his.......

John - I am amazed you did not see any badly behaved togs - you were lucky - they are there - every time - fortunately in a minority but a major irritant none the less

Carl
No matter how many lenses I have owned - I have always needed just one more

fatspider

Link Posted 28/04/2013 - 23:44
Wrong place wrong time John, whereas most of the rudeness I witnessed was on Saturday I did see several incidents today, one female photographer butted in whilst I was taking a couple of shots and whisked the girl away to a passage off the main street keeping her there for several minutes while the rest of her family waited on the street, I was left with what in effect was a couple of quick snaps

Perhaps she thought my Pentax with 16-50 DA* wasn't up to the task

Oddly enough the rudeness seems to come from a small minority of Cannon users with long grey lenses, the Nikon togs seem fine and will happily chat about photography and not cameras.
My Names Alan, and I'm a lensaholic.
My PPG link
My Flckr link

johnriley

Link Posted 29/04/2013 - 00:29

Here are a few of us, newly arrived around 10.30am.
Best regards, John

Link Posted 29/04/2013 - 07:21
Okeh, behaviour and ethics to one side, because it's happening outside in an urban environment does not IMHO make it necessarily Street Photography. I'am pretty sure neither Maier (cheers Smeggy), Winogrand or Bresson would have adopted the approaches described above to capture their subjects. Having just done a search for definitions of the term 'Street Photography' some of the activities and behaviour described as happening in Whitby do not as far as I can make out fall into this category. It sounds more like a fashion shoot to me. So perhaps some people believe consciously or sub-consciously that it's acceptable to carry on in the ways described above to get the shot. By the way, in no way do I condone the attitudes described above, after all manners maketh the man.
As for me, all I know is that I know nothing.
Add a Comment
You must be registered or logged-in to comment.