Visit MPB Visit MPB Visit MPB

Street photography manners

judderman62
Posted 09/05/2013 - 22:44 Link
fritzthedog wrote:

John - I am amazed you did not see any badly behaved togs - you were lucky - they are there - every time - fortunately in a minority but a major irritant none the less

Carl

Late to comment on this thread but here, like a bad penny, I am

have to agree 101% with Carl here.

I arrived Whitby late Friday morning and came home Monday morning so had fair chunk of Friday , all saturday and Sunday there and I saw a whole heap of rudeness from many people - both to the people being photographed and to fellow people taking photographs ... it's been the same all three times I have been - less so, in fairness, at the Steampunk event at The Asylum in Lincoln.

I also saw one team - 'bout 4-5 of them "imprisoning" people a few times and one couple in particular where surrounded and kept there for what seemed an absolute age with two people holding reflectors up and some cameras being shoved so close to them that I could only conclude they were taking macro shots of nostril hair.

They were also being instructed, not politely asked I hasten to add - there was no please/if you don't mind , to pose in certain ways - do this/do that, put your hand there etc .

This also brings me to another view I have of these types of groups - strikes me they are cheapskates - wanting the exclusivity and control of a modelling shoot without paying for a model ... I got news for you 0 they aren't models and they aren't there just for you so stop hogging them and giving them instructions.

There was another incident that incensed me - a couple were stood by the church and had some photos taken. A photographer asked them if they'd pose by a gravestone and the lady declined. The photographer stormed off like some petulant child with a look of disgust, disdain and anger at this !!!!

What a little **** I really felt like punching the little ****. I briefly exchanged words with the couple and expressed how I could not believe that the guy thought he had an automatic right to get them to do what he wanted. The lady explained she did not feel comfortable posing by the gravestones out of respect. Not that any explanation is needed - if someone doesn't want to be photographed in a particular way/location that's up to them.
- -
Mike

Pentax K5 / Pentax K5 11/ Pentax K200D / Canon Rebel T1 i / Canon 650D / Pentax MX-1 / Fuji XF1 /Fuji X 10 / Canon EOS-M / Canon G10/ Pentax Mz-7 x 2
judderman62
Posted 09/05/2013 - 22:51 Link
Father Ted wrote:
gartmore wrote:

Tbh, I think the people who are dressing up want to be photographed

Thing is, a lot of the people who go here aren't dressing up as such. It is what they would normally wear when going out to a festival / concert or even daywear.
They don't want to be photographed, they want to get where they are going or enjoy the atmosphere. However, most of these people seem to be quite extroverted and so, my be willing to be photographed, if asked politely. But they are not there as models to be "worked".

I have to admit, the only time I was there I was petrified of approaching people to ask; I was totally out of my depth. But I did hang onto the coat tails of you more experienced guys and let you do the asking...at least at first. The only shots I got without asking were the longer distance street type candids, when I was not in their face with my lens, not expecting them to stop for me.

JAK wrote:
The event is surely akin to the war weekend events and those who dress up for those must expect to be photographed,
John K

I'd argue that it isn't. It started as a music festival, type, thing, first. Yes it got bigger, but to a lot ( most?) o those who go, they are there for the events, and to wear what they want in the company of like minded people, with being in danger ( remember Sophie Lancaster)

Ted I have to agree enthusiastically with everything you have posted there

Having been my third visit I am not as bashful as I was on my first

Additionally there is a gap between expecting folk might want to photography you and accepting being waylaid for 5/10/15 mins or more, being directed like a paid model or accepting rudeness.
- -
Mike

Pentax K5 / Pentax K5 11/ Pentax K200D / Canon Rebel T1 i / Canon 650D / Pentax MX-1 / Fuji XF1 /Fuji X 10 / Canon EOS-M / Canon G10/ Pentax Mz-7 x 2
judderman62
Posted 09/05/2013 - 22:52 Link
fritzthedog wrote:
I think some of you are missing the point - war weekend - goth fest - or any other such event - yes some people want to photographed and some will and do get dressed up primarily for this reason.

The fact remains though - there is a world of difference between being photographed and being hounded by togs and subjected to rude and even threatening behavior.

I would be mortified if I learned that I had ever treated anybody the way I have seen some treated in Whitby and other places. In the main - I do not think it is intended but I think there are some togs who really do need to take a step back and think before they act!

again agree 100% with this post
- -
Mike

judderman62
Posted 09/05/2013 - 22:55 Link
johnriley wrote:
Quote:
There were quite a few Goths who came to this newsgroup
last year or the year before very annoyed about having
their photos taken

There was one as I recall who had an axe to grind.

or maybe a valid reason ? If you're referring to the one I think you may be she was responding to some pretty benny hill like leery comments made on here - think selling that as "an axe to grind" is rather dismissive .
- -
Mike

johnriley
Posted 09/05/2013 - 23:08 Link
Quote:
think selling that as "an axe to grind"

Not selling anything, but the one I have in mind I felt was going OTT all over the web. IMHO of course.
Best regards, John
fatspider
Posted 10/05/2013 - 13:10 Link
Quote:
If you're referring to the one I think you may be she was responding to some pretty benny hill like leery comments made on here

Do you mean my rather facetious blokey comment of "the image needs cropping, about 12" off her skirt" (or words to that effect)

I did apologise for any offence the comment may have caused, but it was a genuine attempt at humour and not intended to be salacious, in hindsight it was a rather silly comment to make on a public forum, but that's the problem with PU, we are such a close knit and friendly group it's like talking to your mates in the pub and you often forget the whole world can read what you say. But the incident John is referring to was indeed someone with an axe to grind, and given the behaviour of some togs at Whitby she had good reason, unfortunately she chose the "good guys" to vent her anger on.
My Names Alan, and I'm a lensaholic.
My PPG link
My Flckr link
greynolds999
Posted 10/05/2013 - 18:40 Link
I've come to the conclusion that I and my fellow WGW Pentaxians are a decent, civilised bunch with a good sense of humour.

We don't imprison or annoy, we are polite and have a good rapport with lots of the people whom we photograph.

And yes, some of our humorous comments sometimes go a little OTT, but it's like overhearing a private conversation and people taking offence.

We know what we're like, people who meet us know what we're like and we're not responsible for what other people do. So I'm just going to carry on and not get too worried.
judderman62
Posted 10/05/2013 - 20:00 Link
fatspider wrote:
Quote:
If you're referring to the one I think you may be she was responding to some pretty benny hill like leery comments made on here

Do you mean my rather facetious blokey comment of "the image needs cropping, about 12" off her skirt" (or words to that effect)

I did apologise for any offence the comment may have caused, but it was a genuine attempt at humour and not intended to be salacious, in hindsight it was a rather silly comment to make on a public forum, but that's the problem with PU, we are such a close knit and friendly group it's like talking to your mates in the pub and you often forget the whole world can read what you say. But the incident John is referring to was indeed someone with an axe to grind, and given the behaviour of some togs at Whitby she had good reason, unfortunately she chose the "good guys" to vent her anger on.

no fella was a lot more seedy than that
- -
Mike

Add Comment

To leave a comment - Log in to Pentax User or create a new account.