Street photography manners

Hardgravity

Link Posted 29/04/2013 - 07:26
This was my third visit, all three on a Saturday so Sunday togs aren't part of my experience.

I've been told both days are the same, although as 'spider and yourself say, Sunday may be the better day.

With such a large group as yours John the rude ones may feel intimidated, if so I'll try it out in November and join up with Blade.

Carl, if any body tries it with Honesty next time I may have to stand bail for her!
Cheers, HG

K110+DA40, K200+DA35, K3 and a bag of lenses, bodies and other bits.

Mustn't forget the Zenits, or folders, or...

I've some gallerieshere CLICKY LINK! and my PPG entries.

gartmore

Link Posted 29/04/2013 - 07:27
Be thankful Whitby isn't in France, link

Tbh, I think the people who are dressing up want to be photographed
Ken
“We must avoid however, snapping away, shooting quickly and without thought, overloading ourselves with unnecessary images that clutter our memory and diminish the clarity of the whole.” - Henri Cartier-Bresson -

johnriley

Link Posted 29/04/2013 - 08:29
Ken, you're right. They are delighted and all very nice people. From both sides of the fence, Sue has asked and shot pictures. She has been asked and had pictures shot. It's all meant to be fun.

It was slightly amusing though seeing one group[ of goths providing a pre-agreed pattern for every group of photographers who approached them. They slipped into an identical group pose every time and everyone will have exactly the same pictures. I have some images of this process going on, but I think I'll keep them safely hidden away, just to avoid any embarassment...
Best regards, John

annieogg

Link Posted 29/04/2013 - 10:00
I hate hearing how rude people can be and feel for the people been rude to. Years ago I was a morris dancer and our costumes (painted faces colourful rags and decorated hats) always attracted alot of photographers and people with camcorders. As street performers we expected and relished the attention but wouldn't put up with rudness. We were cheeky ourselves if anyone wanted us pose we would rattle our collection tin under their nose first. Perhaps because their was a big group of us and we all had big sticks meant we didn't get much trouble.
Even if people dress up and want to be photographed is no excuse for rudness and aggression.
All roads roam to Leeds
linklink

Pentax K-5 18-55mm Tamron 70-300mm
Pentax 35mm
a few filters Manfrotto tripod and monopod Silk tripod and a bumbling approach on how to use them

bforbes

Link Posted 29/04/2013 - 10:59
I believe it's not the people that "dress up" for Whitby that complain about the photography. It's the people who are Goth and are dressed in their normal way, who don't see why they should be picked on.
Barrie
Too Old To Die Young

http://www.pentaxphotogallery.com/artists/barrieforbes
https://www.flickr.com/photos/189482630@N03/

JAK

Link Posted 29/04/2013 - 12:19
The event is surely akin to the war weekend events and those who dress up for those must expect to be photographed, or why do it in public. I can see Barrie's point that those who normally attire in Goth clothing might take exception to being photographed without being asked first but the photographer cannot differentiate these folk from the others.

John K
John K

Algernon

Link Posted 29/04/2013 - 12:46
You all seem to have very short memories
There were quite a few Goths who came to this newsgroup
last year or the year before very annoyed about having
their photos taken

'
Half Man... Half Pentax ... Half Cucumber

Pentax K-1 + K-5 and some other stuff

Algi

Father Ted

Link Posted 29/04/2013 - 12:55
gartmore wrote:

Thing is, a lot of the people who go here aren't dressing up as such. It is what they would normally wear when going out to a festival / concert or even daywear.
They don't want to be photographed, they want to get where they are going or enjoy the atmosphere. However, most of these people seem to be quite extroverted and so, my be willing to be photographed, if asked politely. But they are not there as models to be "worked".

I have to admit, the only time I was there I was petrified of approaching people to ask; I was totally out of my depth. But I did hang onto the coat tails of you more experienced guys and let you do the asking...at least at first. The only shots I got without asking were the longer distance street type candids, when I was not in their face with my lens, not expecting them to stop for me.

JAK wrote:
The event is surely akin to the war weekend events and those who dress up for those must expect to be photographed,
John K

I'd argue that it isn't. It started as a music festival, type, thing, first. Yes it got bigger, but to a lot ( most?) o those who go, they are there for the events, and to wear what they want in the company of like minded people, with being in danger ( remember Sophie Lancaster)
Getting there! Thanks to you guys

Pentax K10d, *istDL, Kit lens ( 18-55mm ), 50mm f1.7 lens, Tamron 70-300mm lens, Prinzflex 70-162 manual lens, Various old flashes.

fritzthedog

Link Posted 29/04/2013 - 13:15
I think some of you are missing the point - war weekend - goth fest - or any other such event - yes some people want to photographed and some will and do get dressed up primarily for this reason.

The fact remains though - there is a world of difference between being photographed and being hounded by togs and subjected to rude and even threatening behavior.

I would be mortified if I learned that I had ever treated anybody the way I have seen some treated in Whitby and other places. In the main - I do not think it is intended but I think there are some togs who really do need to take a step back and think before they act!
No matter how many lenses I have owned - I have always needed just one more

ilovesaabs

Link Posted 29/04/2013 - 13:23
Try going to Venice during the Carnevale....

People of all nationalities dressed up in costumes and decorated face masks..

Wonderful spectacle.

'Proper' photographers descend on St Marks at dawn to conduct the serious photography. Usually it's cordial and everyone has a good time. Breakfast time the 'tourists' descend and it's bedlam...However, the behaviour of the later crowds is beginning to affect the early risers and I heard reports this year of people getting in photographers' way and holding up iPads in line of view...

Most people get on well with the models, but you always get those 'adenoidal Canon-wielding yanks' trying to dominate, who then get shouted down by an irate welshman
AKA Welshwizard/PWynneJ
Assorted Pentax/Nikon/Mamiya stuff

Gwyn

Link Posted 29/04/2013 - 13:27
Algernon wrote:
You all seem to have very short memories
their photos taken

'

I was thinking the same thing.

johnriley

Link Posted 29/04/2013 - 14:17
Quote:
their photos taken

There was one as I recall who had an axe to grind.
Best regards, John

fatspider

Link Posted 29/04/2013 - 15:30
I remember that, I still have the scar across my skull
My Names Alan, and I'm a lensaholic.
My PPG link
My Flckr link

gartmore

Link Posted 29/04/2013 - 16:01
I must have been off that day, I dont remember it at all.
Ken
“We must avoid however, snapping away, shooting quickly and without thought, overloading ourselves with unnecessary images that clutter our memory and diminish the clarity of the whole.” - Henri Cartier-Bresson -

Honesty

Link Posted 30/04/2013 - 20:02
gartmore wrote:

We are there to be photographed, but also to be treated like humans, and I don't think any tog has the right to treat those in costume like their puppet.

My complaint in this matter is not that people don't want to show off their costumes and have photographs taken, but that they don't want to be spoken to so rudely, or treated as a prize winning dog, made to do various tricks for the tog's amusement.

Some previously mentioned that it seemed to be more Canon users and I belive that to be true. I saw lovely people who were there for fun with their Leicas, Nikons, Pentaxes, iPhones, digital camers etc. and the peeped over people's shoulders to steal a shot from the professionals and that is fine.
But the only people I noticed asking people to 'stand like this', 'look over there', ' move into the shadows', 'play dead' were those with paparazzi set-ups, Canons with extending flash units and thingummy-doo-hickeys.

Costumed people are not there to pursue their modelling careers, but instead to show off their 'look-what-I-did-Mum!!' to people who'll appreciate it and compare theirs too.

To conclude my essay ... I'm not complaining about people declining photos or getting moody with togs not asking, but with the togs who abuse their subjects, with the idea that they can tell some poor girl in a corner to do what they want and they'll politely adhere to their commands.

[/rant]
Whatever my Dad's got in the house...
Add a Comment
You must be registered or logged-in to comment.