Visit MPB Visit MPB Visit MPB

Strange issue with GX20, anyone else had it?

Telstar
Posted 04/09/2010 - 22:40 Link
Hey all, been having an incredibly annoying intermittent issue with my gX20 recently.

Basically the image stabilisation would refuse to turn on. No matter how many times i tried it wouldnt respond to the switch. I at first thought i must have changed a setting in a menu somewhere that was prohibiting it, but no. So switched lenses thinking this may be the issue but again no joy.

Then for no apparent reason the issue would disappear and it would work fine. Now an intermittent fault can be even more annoying than one you can explain. I now started to think that the switch itself was starting to be the issue, and was faulty somehow, meaning a full strip to replace, not something I was overly happy about.

Today, while trying out a lens in my local camera shop again the IS wouldn't respond, very annoying when it was a large lens that could have done with it. At this point a little light bulb must have appeared above my head when I suddenly realised a common factor to the fault occurrences, I had the grip on the body.

I took the grip off the body and hey presto the switch suddenly came to life and worked fine. Now its a proper SBG-D1V grip, not an aftermarket one, but after some experimentation it definitely seems to be having the grip attached that causes the issue.

Im pleased i have worked it out, and the camera isnt actually bust, but it does mean i now have to remove the grip if I change lenses, if I want the IS to function, which could be a pain. I've checked the connections and everything looks hunk-dory, so has anyone else experienced this, or even heard of the issue before?
Bodies: GX20 | MZ-3 | MZ-M | Auto 110 complete kit
Primes: DA*300 F4 | DA40 F2.8 Ltd. | SMC-A 50/1.7 | Sigma 30mm F1.4 | Sirius 28/2.8
Macro : SMC-A Dental 100 macro
Zooms: 12-24 SA | 18-55 SA | 50-200 SA | 28-80 FA | 35-80 F | Vivitar 28-200
Other: Bellows | Tube sets | Vivitar 2x PK/A Tele | SEF-36PZF Flash | SBG-D1V Grip | Billingham 335

My Flickr
Mike-P
Posted 04/09/2010 - 22:51 Link
There is a known issue with the K10D/K20D and grip where if you have one of the control wheels between "clicks" it jams the camera to a certain extent. Have had it happen to me and went into total panick the first time.

Not sure if the SR stopped working but worth checking that wheel.
TonyM
Posted 04/09/2010 - 23:16 Link
The problem Mike highlighted happened to me, but I can't recall issues with the IS (I don't have a grip anymore - too wobbly after the K10D!)

Tony
Posted 05/09/2010 - 09:46 Link
One other thing to check, as it has happened to me. Is the camera in 2 second timer mode? If it is, it will disable the SR no matter if you try to turn it on. It's a good failsafe as you don't want the SR on when have the timer on (times when you have the camera on the tripod)
Some Cameras
Telstar
Posted 05/09/2010 - 10:50 Link
Well you can forget what I posted above, further experimentation has shown that the 'Grip' issue was co-incidental. Its not that at all.

Harumph.

Still a minuscule amount of contact cleaner on a cotton bud to clean the contacts on the body mount has appeared to have made a difference, maybe it was a contact problem all along ( as I believe the body has to ascertain what length the lens is to be able to use the IS feature)

Oh and by the way, is the DA40 ltd not capable of being used with IS? because the other lenses I have tried now allow the IS to be turned on-off, but with the DA40 it will not come on AT ALL ( and there is a contact space not used on this lens.....)
Primes: DA*300 F4 | DA40 F2.8 Ltd. | SMC-A 50/1.7 | Sigma 30mm F1.4 | Sirius 28/2.8
Other: Bellows | Tube sets | Vivitar 2x PK/A Tele | SEF-36PZF Flash | SBG-D1V Grip | Billingham 335

My Flickr
Mike-P
Posted 05/09/2010 - 11:00 Link
Telstar wrote:

Oh and by the way, is the DA40 ltd not capable of being used with IS? because the other lenses I have tried now allow the IS to be turned on-off, but with the DA40 it will not come on AT ALL ( and there is a contact space not used on this lens.....)

The little shake hand in the viewfinder comes on with my DA40mm when switched on and goes out when off.
Telstar
Posted 05/09/2010 - 11:12 Link
Mike-P wrote:

The little shake hand in the viewfinder comes on with my DA40mm when switched on and goes out when off.

Thanks Mike. Oh well more to investigate then. The DA40 was a 2nd hand lens I got from a little shop in IoW so may not have been kept as clean as my lenses have been I suppose.

(Goes to find some good cleaning fluid....)

My Flickr
Mike-P
Posted 05/09/2010 - 11:15 Link
Telstar wrote:

Don't forget the Windowlene mentioned elsewhere on the forum.
Anvh
Posted 05/09/2010 - 18:34 Link
Telstar wrote:
Oh well more to investigate then. The DA40 was a 2nd hand lens I got from a little shop in IoW so may not have been kept as clean as my lenses have been I suppose.

The only thing the SR needs is the focal length so when you use the DA40 and the focal length is in the EXIF data than it should be okay, or at least the problem won't be in the contacts.
Stefan
Comment Image

K10D, K5
DA* 16-50, DA* 50-135, D-FA 100 Macro, DA 40 Ltd, DA 18-55
AF-540FGZ

Add Comment

To leave a comment - Log in to Pentax User or create a new account.