Stained glass
Posted 31/08/2010 - 20:28
Link
Wow, really vivid pics. Fine examples and I'd have to nit pick about the slight widening at the bottom and OOF but that's if I had to.
Canterbury seems a bit garish and Newcastle more refined, somehow.
I really like them.
Did you hand hold?
And was it the 16-50mm?
Canterbury seems a bit garish and Newcastle more refined, somehow.
I really like them.
Did you hand hold?
And was it the 16-50mm?
Lurking is shirking.!
Posted 31/08/2010 - 20:57
Link
Gorgeous colours, David.
Best wishes,
Andrew
"These places mean something and it's the job of a photographer to figure-out what the hell it is."
Robert Adams
"The camera doesn't make a bit of difference. All of them can record what you are seeing. But, you have to SEE."
Ernst Hass
My website: http://www.ephotozine.com/user/bwlchmawr-199050
http://s927.photobucket.com/home/ADC3440/index
https://www.flickr.com/photos/78898196@N05
Andrew
"These places mean something and it's the job of a photographer to figure-out what the hell it is."
Robert Adams
"The camera doesn't make a bit of difference. All of them can record what you are seeing. But, you have to SEE."
Ernst Hass
My website: http://www.ephotozine.com/user/bwlchmawr-199050
http://s927.photobucket.com/home/ADC3440/index
https://www.flickr.com/photos/78898196@N05
Posted 31/08/2010 - 21:11
Link
Nice colours and the light seems very evenly balanced.
Half Man... Half Pentax ... Half Cucumber
Pentax K-1 + K-5 and some other stuff
Algi
Pentax K-1 + K-5 and some other stuff
Algi
Posted 31/08/2010 - 21:47
Link
Real nice set there I love the richness of colour and the clarity well done.
Ian
Ian
Posted 31/08/2010 - 22:42
Link
I've tried to take this sort of shot several times in the past, all seem to lack clarity.
These, on the other hand, are super, the clarity and framing/crop do them all justice.
Well done David.
These, on the other hand, are super, the clarity and framing/crop do them all justice.
Well done David.
Cheers, HG
K110+DA40, K200+DA35, K3 and a bag of lenses, bodies and other bits.
Mustn't forget the Zenits, or folders, or...
PPG entries.
K110+DA40, K200+DA35, K3 and a bag of lenses, bodies and other bits.
Mustn't forget the Zenits, or folders, or...
PPG entries.
Posted 31/08/2010 - 23:05
Link
Subject isn't really my thing but love the vivid colours and detail in the faces.
Tim
AF - Pentax K5, Sigma 10-20/4-5.6, Tamron 17-50/2.8, Sigma 30/1.4, Sigma 70-200/2.8, Tamron 70-300/4-5.6
MF - Vivitar CF 28/2.8, Tamron AD2 90/2.5, MTO 1000/11
Stuff - Metz 58 AF1, Cactus v4, Nikon SB24, Raynox 150, Sigma 1.4x TC, Sigma 2x TC, Kenko 2x macro TC, Redsnapper 283 tripod, iMac 27”, Macbook Pro 17”, iPad, iPhone 3G
Flickr • Fluidr • PPG • Street • Portfolio site
Feel free to edit any of my posted photos! If I post a photo for critique, I want brutal honesty. If you don't like it, please say so and tell me why!
AF - Pentax K5, Sigma 10-20/4-5.6, Tamron 17-50/2.8, Sigma 30/1.4, Sigma 70-200/2.8, Tamron 70-300/4-5.6
MF - Vivitar CF 28/2.8, Tamron AD2 90/2.5, MTO 1000/11
Stuff - Metz 58 AF1, Cactus v4, Nikon SB24, Raynox 150, Sigma 1.4x TC, Sigma 2x TC, Kenko 2x macro TC, Redsnapper 283 tripod, iMac 27”, Macbook Pro 17”, iPad, iPhone 3G
Flickr • Fluidr • PPG • Street • Portfolio site
Feel free to edit any of my posted photos! If I post a photo for critique, I want brutal honesty. If you don't like it, please say so and tell me why!
Posted 01/09/2010 - 10:27
Link
Thanks guys for the comments. Doug, The slight widening towards the bottom of the frame is because you have to point your camera upwards to get stained glass windows and there is only so much compensation you can do in PS without distorting the image even more. At least with my limited PS skills that is.
One of the secrets with this type of photography is to get bright sunlight back lighting the glass and to under expose by 1/3 or 2/3 of a stop so you don't blow the highlights.
The the second one from Newcastle Cathedral appealed to me - St Geordie slaying the dragon.
David
One of the secrets with this type of photography is to get bright sunlight back lighting the glass and to under expose by 1/3 or 2/3 of a stop so you don't blow the highlights.
The the second one from Newcastle Cathedral appealed to me - St Geordie slaying the dragon.
David
Posted 01/09/2010 - 11:27
Link
If I had to pick one, I'd make it the last of the series David - it has a 'borderless' look to it, being constrained least by the edges of the glass-work etc.
Posted 02/09/2010 - 12:45
Link
To answer your questions Doug: Yes, these were all handheld. I'm well known for my aversion to being weighed down by a tripod. If the light is good outside you can use a reasonably high shutter speed for this type of picture. The picture of the Chagal window in Canterbury Cathedral was taken on a K10 and a DA*16-50mm lens. For the windows in Newcastle Cathedral I used a K10 with DA*50-135mm lens.
David
David
Posted 02/09/2010 - 18:52
Link
David, thanks. I like the colour from GX10/K10D.
Lurking is shirking.!
Posted 17/09/2010 - 10:37
Link
A great set of pictures, well done!
Richard
manchester professional photographer - advertising, fashion, headshots, product packshots, architecture
Richard
manchester professional photographer - advertising, fashion, headshots, product packshots, architecture
Add Comment
To leave a comment - Log in to Pentax User or create a new account.


3312 posts
18 years
Durham,
England
Chagal window in Canterbury Cathedral
[IMG]http://i799.photobucket.com/albums/yy273/Davidtrout2/ChagalwindowCanterburyCathedral.jpg[/IMG]
And three from Newcastle Caathedral
[IMG]http://i799.photobucket.com/albums/yy273/Davidtrout2/NewcastleCathedralwindow1.jpg[/IMG]
[IMG]http://i799.photobucket.com/albums/yy273/Davidtrout2/NewcastleCathedralwindows5.jpg[/IMG]
[IMG]http://i799.photobucket.com/albums/yy273/Davidtrout2/NewcastleCathedralwindows2.jpg[/IMG]