Just back from Scotland (7)
Posted 02/09/2010 - 19:30
Link
That is the most awesome view from the bench, and loving the rust on the landrover and rocks, some great compositions there.
Posted 02/09/2010 - 19:47
Link
Very nice, I like them all. The light looks of very good
quality even on the shots when it was cloudy.
quality even on the shots when it was cloudy.
Half Man... Half Pentax ... Half Cucumber
Pentax K-1 + K-5 and some other stuff
Algi
Pentax K-1 + K-5 and some other stuff
Algi
Posted 02/09/2010 - 20:39
Link
Posted 02/09/2010 - 21:14
Link
Are these all with the kit lens Andrew?.... if so
there's absolutely nothing wrong with the kit lens
there's absolutely nothing wrong with the kit lens
Half Man... Half Pentax ... Half Cucumber
Pentax K-1 + K-5 and some other stuff
Algi
Pentax K-1 + K-5 and some other stuff
Algi
Posted 02/09/2010 - 23:24
Link
The first photo and those of the chapel were taken with a Pentax 18-55mm ALII kit lens. The others were taken with a manual focus Sigma 24mm f2.8 Super-wide II.
Some more rust - towing a boat!! (note the rock on the bonnet, to keep it closed)

I doubt that any difference would have been detectable if they had all been taken with the kit lens. In my view, it is a great lens.
Whilst I'm here, have a sunset. The island is Gigha. If memory serves, I took that with a Pentax-M 75-150mm zoom with *TWO* ND grad filters.

Andrew
Some more rust - towing a boat!! (note the rock on the bonnet, to keep it closed)

I doubt that any difference would have been detectable if they had all been taken with the kit lens. In my view, it is a great lens.
Whilst I'm here, have a sunset. The island is Gigha. If memory serves, I took that with a Pentax-M 75-150mm zoom with *TWO* ND grad filters.

Andrew
Posted 03/09/2010 - 09:02
Link
It was the chapel pictures that caught my eye with regard to
sharpness, but the others are sharp as well. A lot will also
be down to the photographer
sharpness, but the others are sharp as well. A lot will also
be down to the photographer
Half Man... Half Pentax ... Half Cucumber
Pentax K-1 + K-5 and some other stuff
Algi
Pentax K-1 + K-5 and some other stuff
Algi
Posted 03/09/2010 - 09:55
Link
Nice set
I also noticed the sharpness (in a good way), for me it was the rope shot.
Love the rock on the bonnet
I also noticed the sharpness (in a good way), for me it was the rope shot.
Love the rock on the bonnet
Tim
AF - Pentax K5, Sigma 10-20/4-5.6, Tamron 17-50/2.8, Sigma 30/1.4, Sigma 70-200/2.8, Tamron 70-300/4-5.6
MF - Vivitar CF 28/2.8, Tamron AD2 90/2.5, MTO 1000/11
Stuff - Metz 58 AF1, Cactus v4, Nikon SB24, Raynox 150, Sigma 1.4x TC, Sigma 2x TC, Kenko 2x macro TC, Redsnapper 283 tripod, iMac 27”, Macbook Pro 17”, iPad, iPhone 3G
Flickr • Fluidr • PPG • Street • Portfolio site
Feel free to edit any of my posted photos! If I post a photo for critique, I want brutal honesty. If you don't like it, please say so and tell me why!
AF - Pentax K5, Sigma 10-20/4-5.6, Tamron 17-50/2.8, Sigma 30/1.4, Sigma 70-200/2.8, Tamron 70-300/4-5.6
MF - Vivitar CF 28/2.8, Tamron AD2 90/2.5, MTO 1000/11
Stuff - Metz 58 AF1, Cactus v4, Nikon SB24, Raynox 150, Sigma 1.4x TC, Sigma 2x TC, Kenko 2x macro TC, Redsnapper 283 tripod, iMac 27”, Macbook Pro 17”, iPad, iPhone 3G
Flickr • Fluidr • PPG • Street • Portfolio site
Feel free to edit any of my posted photos! If I post a photo for critique, I want brutal honesty. If you don't like it, please say so and tell me why!
Posted 03/09/2010 - 13:55
Link
Splendid images. Simply wonderful. I love the rusty Suzuki.
Regards
Regards
Too far from a shore.
Posted 03/09/2010 - 20:02
Link
Love the rust and rope. And the Suzuki!
Best wishes,
Andrew
"These places mean something and it's the job of a photographer to figure-out what the hell it is."
Robert Adams
"The camera doesn't make a bit of difference. All of them can record what you are seeing. But, you have to SEE."
Ernst Hass
My website: http://www.ephotozine.com/user/bwlchmawr-199050
http://s927.photobucket.com/home/ADC3440/index
https://www.flickr.com/photos/78898196@N05
Andrew
"These places mean something and it's the job of a photographer to figure-out what the hell it is."
Robert Adams
"The camera doesn't make a bit of difference. All of them can record what you are seeing. But, you have to SEE."
Ernst Hass
My website: http://www.ephotozine.com/user/bwlchmawr-199050
http://s927.photobucket.com/home/ADC3440/index
https://www.flickr.com/photos/78898196@N05
Posted 03/09/2010 - 21:01
Link
has anyone noticed that the rot box of a Suzuki does not have a 'tax disk' on it ?
I would infer that it's not being used on public roads so they can avoid taxing it .
I've a feeling that the rust is holding it together
I would infer that it's not being used on public roads so they can avoid taxing it .
I've a feeling that the rust is holding it together
let the education continue
proud owner of a couple of cameras and a few bits and bobs
proud owner of a couple of cameras and a few bits and bobs
Posted 03/09/2010 - 23:10
Link
Nope, the rock stops the bonnet from flying away in the slightest breeze. It's only the rock and gravity that keep it in place.
I think the Suzi is permanently parked on the beach, just beyond the perimeter of its owner's garden. Unless the Suzi owner also owns the bit of land he drives over to get from dry land to the high water mark then he commits an offence under s34 of the Road Traffic Act (Scotland) 1988 by driving somewhere other than on a road. He definitely commits an offence by not having a valid tax disk and insurance when he drives on the foreshore (the bit between average high and low tides) as he cannot possibly own that. The foreshore is an area that the public have a right to use (often belongs to the Crown Estate) - but on land you do not own yourself, the vehicle has to be street legal.
On the other hand, he's a local lad and you can bet that no one gives a tinkers .....
Andrew
I think the Suzi is permanently parked on the beach, just beyond the perimeter of its owner's garden. Unless the Suzi owner also owns the bit of land he drives over to get from dry land to the high water mark then he commits an offence under s34 of the Road Traffic Act (Scotland) 1988 by driving somewhere other than on a road. He definitely commits an offence by not having a valid tax disk and insurance when he drives on the foreshore (the bit between average high and low tides) as he cannot possibly own that. The foreshore is an area that the public have a right to use (often belongs to the Crown Estate) - but on land you do not own yourself, the vehicle has to be street legal.
On the other hand, he's a local lad and you can bet that no one gives a tinkers .....
Andrew
Posted 04/09/2010 - 09:43
Link
From a Health and Safety plus public liability insurance point of view if it's not road worthy he shouldn't be using it. Somebody could steal it and get killed
Half Man... Half Pentax ... Half Cucumber
Pentax K-1 + K-5 and some other stuff
Algi
Pentax K-1 + K-5 and some other stuff
Algi
Posted 04/09/2010 - 13:20
Link
Lovely set of images from a lovely part of Scotland. I particularly liked the symetrical presentation you made of the chapel - and I think the new paint gives it a lot of appeal.
Posted 17/09/2010 - 10:41
Link
I am glad that we have managed to encompass both health and safety and vehicle legislation all in the same post!
Richard
manchester professional photographer - advertising, fashion, headshots, product packshots, architecture
Richard
manchester professional photographer - advertising, fashion, headshots, product packshots, architecture
Add Comment
To leave a comment - Log in to Pentax User or create a new account.



828 posts
18 years
Oldham,
Lancashire,UK
Do they still hang folks at Ardgartan??
Rest and Be Thankful
As rust seems quite popular round here, I thought I'd post a bit. Despite its appearance, this Suzuki is used every day for launching a boat from the beach at Muasdale on Kintyre
A rock monster(?) on Macrihanish beach
A bit more rust and a load of old rope
This is the chapel at A'Chleit near Muasdale. I was rather disappointed that they had recently painted it. When I last saw it about 5 years back, it was a drab grey and looked a bit like something from a Stephen King novel
A curious rock formation at Drimnin - a volcanic dyke known as "The Wishing Stone"
Any thoughts, comments & criticism will be gratefully received.
Andrew