spring macros
Posted 07/05/2008 - 10:23
Link
Very nice photos; the pink and brown hues make me think of Autumn rather than Spring but that doesn't make them any less pretty. As for the DOF issue I think it's something that's down to personal taste. I like a restricted DOF on these sorts of shots and I think you've done very well at isolating your subjects in the first three, but on the fourth I'd have liked to see the whole bud in focus.
Joining the Q
Posted 07/05/2008 - 14:48
Link
Keith: I really like the 2nd one, the leaves give a great effect.
Camera:|K-7|
Pentax Lenses:|DA12-24/f4 ED AL|DA35Ltd Macro|FA31Ltd|FA77Ltd|FA50/1.4|F70-210|FA20-35 f4/AL|A*200/f4 Macro ED|A50/1.7|A50 Macro f2.8|1.7xAF adapter|
Voigtlander|125/f2.5SL Macro APO Lanthar|
Sigma Lenses:|EX DG 100-300 f4|2X & 1.4X TC|
Flashes:|AF540FGZx2|RingFlash AF160FC|
Pentax Lenses:|DA12-24/f4 ED AL|DA35Ltd Macro|FA31Ltd|FA77Ltd|FA50/1.4|F70-210|FA20-35 f4/AL|A*200/f4 Macro ED|A50/1.7|A50 Macro f2.8|1.7xAF adapter|
Voigtlander|125/f2.5SL Macro APO Lanthar|
Sigma Lenses:|EX DG 100-300 f4|2X & 1.4X TC|
Flashes:|AF540FGZx2|RingFlash AF160FC|
Posted 07/05/2008 - 18:21
Link
No. 2 for me as well - most unusual.
You must have really steady hands unless the K100 is appreciably lighter than the K10D
You must have really steady hands unless the K100 is appreciably lighter than the K10D
Hyram
Bodies: K20D (2), K10D, Super A, ME Super, Auto 110 SLR, X70, Optio P70
Pentax Glass: DA* 300, DA* 60-250, DA* 50-135, DA* 16-50, DA 70 Ltd, FA 31 Ltd, DA 35 Ltd, DA 18-55 (2), DA 12-24, DA 10-17, M 200, A 35-70, M 40, M 28, Converter-A 2X-S, 1.4X-S, AF 1.7, Pentax-110 50, Pentax-110 24
Other Glass: Sigma 105 macro, Sigma-A APO 75-300
Flash: Metz 58 AF-1 P, Pentax AF160FC ringflash, Pentax AF280T
Bodies: K20D (2), K10D, Super A, ME Super, Auto 110 SLR, X70, Optio P70
Pentax Glass: DA* 300, DA* 60-250, DA* 50-135, DA* 16-50, DA 70 Ltd, FA 31 Ltd, DA 35 Ltd, DA 18-55 (2), DA 12-24, DA 10-17, M 200, A 35-70, M 40, M 28, Converter-A 2X-S, 1.4X-S, AF 1.7, Pentax-110 50, Pentax-110 24
Other Glass: Sigma 105 macro, Sigma-A APO 75-300
Flash: Metz 58 AF-1 P, Pentax AF160FC ringflash, Pentax AF280T
Posted 07/05/2008 - 19:34
Link
Number 2 is the attention grabber for me as well.
Please call me aj,
I use a Pentax K10D, on a MacBook with LightRoom (vers 1.3 + beta 2)
http://www.ba-joseph.co.uk/gallery
I use a Pentax K10D, on a MacBook with LightRoom (vers 1.3 + beta 2)
http://www.ba-joseph.co.uk/gallery
Posted 07/05/2008 - 19:44
Link
Thanks for the feedback so far!
Hyram, from what I've read, the K100 IS lighter than the K10, but steady hands I don't have ... in fact I'll usually have a great number of rejects because, with the shallow DoF, even a little bit of shake or a little bit of wind can make me miss my intended area of greatest sharpness.
I like the pine buds and needles, too! ''
Hyram, from what I've read, the K100 IS lighter than the K10, but steady hands I don't have ... in fact I'll usually have a great number of rejects because, with the shallow DoF, even a little bit of shake or a little bit of wind can make me miss my intended area of greatest sharpness.
I like the pine buds and needles, too! ''
Keith
K100D Super, DA 18-55, M 50 1.4, M 100 4 Macro
"The present is the object of vision, and what I see before me at any given second is a full field of color-patches scattered just so. The configuration will never be repeated." ~ Annie Dillard
K100D Super, DA 18-55, M 50 1.4, M 100 4 Macro
"The present is the object of vision, and what I see before me at any given second is a full field of color-patches scattered just so. The configuration will never be repeated." ~ Annie Dillard
Add Comment
To leave a comment - Log in to Pentax User or create a new account.


124 posts
18 years
Nova Scotia,
Canada
I've been poking around the yard this week, alert to signs of spring (which is obviously not as advanced as in many of your backyards!), and have selected these photos to ask for your comments and suggestions.
I love the act of paying attention to detail that macro photography allows, but am keen to learn more! Your suggestions on composition and depth of field especially welcome. For example, in the first of the maple bud pictures, is the out of focus branch pleasing to you, or would you prefer a slightly greater DoF (with some change in bokeh)?
All of these were shot handheld with the K100D Super and M 100 4 Macro.
Cheers!
K100D Super, DA 18-55, M 50 1.4, M 100 4 Macro
"The present is the object of vision, and what I see before me at any given second is a full field of color-patches scattered just so. The configuration will never be repeated." ~ Annie Dillard