Split screen focus aid - a few questions

LifeSpy
Posted 23/02/2009 - 16:51 Link
There is the cheaper split screens being discussed on the Pentax forum in the US they have found this one, just as good as the Kateye.
The AF points still show up, AF still works etc. exposure works fine except in spot which is the same for the Kateye costs just over £20
link
K20D with D-BG2
DA* 16-50, DA* 50-135, DA 18-250
Lightroom, Photoshop CS3 extended
Considering: Sigma 120-400
iceblinker
Posted 23/02/2009 - 17:48 Link
That one is different from the Katz Eye in that the microprism collar is much larger in relation to the split circle. Also it looks like the one in the picture has an alignment fault along the left side of the split.

Altogether it looks like the even cheaper screen I got off eBay that was NOT as good as a Katz Eye. There are many similar products from various Chinese and HK eBay sellers.
~Pete
Clarky
Posted 24/02/2009 - 02:25 Link
Try this site I purchased the nikon (F6) style focusing screen for my K10 and loved it, and cheaper than Katzeye

I was going to get another for my K20 but just recently decided on the Katzeye.

I don't know if it was me, the Katzeye, the camera or lens but I had my DA*300 on for my first shots with the Katzeye installed and found them terribly over exposed, camera set on AV, I had to punch in -1.5 EV comp at 100iso, spot metering.
I haven't had time to investigate it fully, but could it be the screen affecting exposure :
Camera:|K-7|
Pentax Lenses:|DA12-24/f4 ED AL|DA35Ltd Macro|FA31Ltd|FA77Ltd|FA50/1.4|F70-210|FA20-35 f4/AL|A*200/f4 Macro ED|A50/1.7|A50 Macro f2.8|1.7xAF adapter|
Voigtlander|125/f2.5SL Macro APO Lanthar|
Sigma Lenses:|EX DG 100-300 f4|2X & 1.4X TC|
Flashes:|AF540FGZx2|RingFlash AF160FC|
iceblinker
Posted 24/02/2009 - 02:51 Link
Spot metering is affected. The answer is to use Centre-weighted instead. This has been mentioned on the forum before. This will be the case with all split-image screens, not just katz Eye's.

From www.katzeyeoptics.com/item--Pentax-K10D-K20D-Focusing-Screen--prod_K10D.html :

"Spot Metering Mode: Our testing showed spot metering mode to be within factory tolerance for all AF lenses having a maximum aperture of f2.0 or larger (lower f number). Lenses having a maximum aperture smaller than f2.0 (lager f number) will show a significant shift toward increased exposure, with the shift increasing for lenses with smaller maximum apertures. Spot metering mode is NOT RECOMMENDED when using a split prism focusing screen with lenses slower than f2.0. However, if spot mode must be used, it is strongly advised to first take a test shot, check the histogram, and adjust exposure compensation as required."
~Pete
Edited by iceblinker: 24/02/2009 - 02:53
Clarky
Posted 24/02/2009 - 03:23 Link
Thanks Pete I suspected as much. must learn to read the manual in future.
Camera:|K-7|
Pentax Lenses:|DA12-24/f4 ED AL|DA35Ltd Macro|FA31Ltd|FA77Ltd|FA50/1.4|F70-210|FA20-35 f4/AL|A*200/f4 Macro ED|A50/1.7|A50 Macro f2.8|1.7xAF adapter|
Voigtlander|125/f2.5SL Macro APO Lanthar|
Sigma Lenses:|EX DG 100-300 f4|2X & 1.4X TC|
Flashes:|AF540FGZx2|RingFlash AF160FC|
Karl
Posted 28/02/2009 - 08:41 Link
I've just learnt about 'capture focusing' where the camera is set to AF with a manual lense, shutter release pressed and gently brought into focus until the camera fires. It seems to work really well for me.
Does anyone else use it with manual lenses?
https://pentaxphotogallery.com" target="_blank">https://pentaxphotogallery.com/images/black_link_small.jpg" alt="See my photos featured in the PENTAX Photogallery" />
El Dingo
Posted 28/02/2009 - 09:36 Link
Karl wrote:
I've just learnt about 'capture focusing' where the camera is set to AF with a manual lense, shutter release pressed and gently brought into focus until the camera fires. It seems to work really well for me.
Does anyone else use it with manual lenses?
Yes, I have used this to good effect with my old Sigma 35-200 zoom lens.
El Dingo - K3-II and K10D

Add Comment

To leave a comment - Log in to Pentax User or create a new account.



Proudly supporting Pentax User

Samsung Logo Asahi Pentax Logo