Spare battery

Smeggypants
Posted 21/02/2011 - 16:27 Link
Pentaxophile wrote:
Smeggypants wrote:
I'd buy Hassleblad toilet paper
Need medium format, eh?
... and tethering.
[i]Bodies: 1x K-5IIs, 2x K-5, Sony TX-5, Nokia 808
Lenses: Pentax DA 10-17mm ED(IF) Fish Eye, Pentax DA 14mm f/2.8, Sigma 17-70mm f/2.8, Pentax-A 28mm f/2.8, Sigma 30mm F1.4 EX DC, Pentax-A 50mm f/1.2, Pentax-A 50mm f/1.4, Pentax-FA 50mm f/1.4, Pentax-A 50mm f/1.7, Pentax DA* 50-135mm f/2.8, Sigma 135-400mm APO DG, and more ..
Flash: AF-540FGZ, Vivitar 283
thoughton
Posted 21/02/2011 - 17:43 Link
Smeggypants wrote:
Tyr wrote:
Smeggypants wrote:
[quote:3496ace15f="Tyr"]Let me see if I can dig up the information from dpreview on K-5 batteries. Essentially it showed that all are quite bad except the Pentax and Hahnel ones.
not very good review then. All the 'cheap' Ebay Batteries I've had both K10D/K20 and my K5 have been absolutely fine.
They may have been fine function wise but the capacity will not be what is stated.

Sorry but you don't know that. You're just repeating parrot fashion what you read on the internet.[/quote]C'mon Smeggypants, you can't on the one hand say that the test is wrong because it doesn't agree with your own experiences, and then on the other hand bite Tyr's head off (in an unpleasant way, I might add) for saying you were wrong because your experiences don't agree with someone's published results.

The test looks pretty good to me. It appears to have been carried out by someone who is able to find their backside without resorting to radar and a map.

I personally use a combination of Pentax, Innov8 and ebay specials, but I may ditch the ebay specials just for peace of mind. Keep your eyes on the classified section here

I also note Doug8's very good points that the test is only testing capacity vs claimed capacity. It has no relevance to which battery is 'best' or safest or most reliable. For those things I would go with my instinct and put my faith in the companies that stand behind their product with a decent guarantee.
Tim
AF - Pentax K5, Sigma 10-20/4-5.6, Tamron 17-50/2.8, Sigma 30/1.4, Sigma 70-200/2.8, Tamron 70-300/4-5.6
MF - Vivitar CF 28/2.8, Tamron AD2 90/2.5, MTO 1000/11
Stuff - Metz 58 AF1, Cactus v4, Nikon SB24, Raynox 150, Sigma 1.4x TC, Sigma 2x TC, Kenko 2x macro TC, Redsnapper 283 tripod, iMac 27”, Macbook Pro 17”, iPad, iPhone 3G
Flickr • Fluidr • PPG • Street • Portfolio site
Feel free to edit any of my posted photos! If I post a photo for critique, I want brutal honesty. If you don't like it, please say so and tell me why!
Edited by thoughton: 21/02/2011 - 17:51
Smeggypants
Posted 21/02/2011 - 18:04 Link
thoughton wrote:
Smeggypants wrote:
Tyr wrote:
[quote:3496ace15f="Smeggypants"][quote:3496ace15f="Tyr"]Let me see if I can dig up the information from dpreview on K-5 batteries. Essentially it showed that all are quite bad except the Pentax and Hahnel ones.
not very good review then. All the 'cheap' Ebay Batteries I've had both K10D/K20 and my K5 have been absolutely fine.
They may have been fine function wise but the capacity will not be what is stated.

Sorry but you don't know that. You're just repeating parrot fashion what you read on the internet.[/quote]C'mon Smeggypants, you can't on the one hand say that the test is wrong because it doesn't agree with your own experiences, and then on the other hand bite Tyr's head off (in an unpleasant way, I might add) for saying you were wrong because your experiences don't agree with someone's published results.
[/quote]Firstly I didn't say the test was wrong, so why claim I did?

Secondly I didn't bite anyone's head off. Pretty unfair to claim that when I simply explained to Tyr that the test didn't quality anyone to make claims on every battery in existence.

i.e

Quote:
Essentially it showed that all are quite bad except the Pentax and Hahnel ones.
My repeated point is that the test is only valid for the batteries involved in the test , and despite your claim, I've never disputed the findings of the test.

I'm sure some batteries out there don't perform well, but as I've said the one's I've had upto now have been fine. If I ever buy any that don't come up to scratch I'll happily say so here so others can avoid buying them
[i]Bodies: 1x K-5IIs, 2x K-5, Sony TX-5, Nokia 808
Lenses: Pentax DA 10-17mm ED(IF) Fish Eye, Pentax DA 14mm f/2.8, Sigma 17-70mm f/2.8, Pentax-A 28mm f/2.8, Sigma 30mm F1.4 EX DC, Pentax-A 50mm f/1.2, Pentax-A 50mm f/1.4, Pentax-FA 50mm f/1.4, Pentax-A 50mm f/1.7, Pentax DA* 50-135mm f/2.8, Sigma 135-400mm APO DG, and more ..
Flash: AF-540FGZ, Vivitar 283
thoughton
Posted 21/02/2011 - 18:12 Link
OK you didn't say 'the test is wrong' but you disagreed with the results, saying 'not very good review'. Is that more accurate?

I don't think what I said is unfair at all. Comparing someone to a parrot doesn't ordinarily count as a considered thoughtful reply.
Tim
AF - Pentax K5, Sigma 10-20/4-5.6, Tamron 17-50/2.8, Sigma 30/1.4, Sigma 70-200/2.8, Tamron 70-300/4-5.6
MF - Vivitar CF 28/2.8, Tamron AD2 90/2.5, MTO 1000/11
Stuff - Metz 58 AF1, Cactus v4, Nikon SB24, Raynox 150, Sigma 1.4x TC, Sigma 2x TC, Kenko 2x macro TC, Redsnapper 283 tripod, iMac 27”, Macbook Pro 17”, iPad, iPhone 3G
Flickr • Fluidr • PPG • Street • Portfolio site
Feel free to edit any of my posted photos! If I post a photo for critique, I want brutal honesty. If you don't like it, please say so and tell me why!
Edited by thoughton: 21/02/2011 - 18:13
thoughton
Posted 21/02/2011 - 18:16 Link
Smeggypants wrote:
Tyr wrote:
Essentially it showed that all are quite bad except the Pentax and Hahnel ones.
My repeated point is that the test is only valid for the batteries involved in the test , and despite your claim, I've never disputed the findings of the test.
So are you saying that your batteries from ebay aren't the same as the ebay ones used in the test? In what way are they different?
Tim
AF - Pentax K5, Sigma 10-20/4-5.6, Tamron 17-50/2.8, Sigma 30/1.4, Sigma 70-200/2.8, Tamron 70-300/4-5.6
MF - Vivitar CF 28/2.8, Tamron AD2 90/2.5, MTO 1000/11
Stuff - Metz 58 AF1, Cactus v4, Nikon SB24, Raynox 150, Sigma 1.4x TC, Sigma 2x TC, Kenko 2x macro TC, Redsnapper 283 tripod, iMac 27”, Macbook Pro 17”, iPad, iPhone 3G
Flickr • Fluidr • PPG • Street • Portfolio site
Feel free to edit any of my posted photos! If I post a photo for critique, I want brutal honesty. If you don't like it, please say so and tell me why!
MarkTaylor
Posted 21/02/2011 - 18:35 Link
Smeggypants wrote:
Pentaxophile wrote:
Smeggypants wrote:
I'd buy Hassleblad toilet paper
Need medium format, eh?
... and tethering.
I'm beginning to understand more than I ever wanted to know about why the pants are smeggy.
My Flickr • Pentax K-5 • K-5 II • Sigma 8-16mm F/4.5-5.6 DC HSM • Tamron SP AF 17-50mm F/2.8 XR Di II LD ASL • SMC Pentax-DA* 50-135mm F/2.8 ED [IF] SDM • SMC Pentax-DA 55-300mm F/4-5.8 ED • SMC Pentax-DA 18-135mm F/3.5-5.6 ED AL [IF] WR • Vivitar 100mm F/3.5 Macro AF • Metz Mecablitz 58 AF-2
Smeggypants
Posted 21/02/2011 - 19:02 Link
hehe
[i]Bodies: 1x K-5IIs, 2x K-5, Sony TX-5, Nokia 808
Lenses: Pentax DA 10-17mm ED(IF) Fish Eye, Pentax DA 14mm f/2.8, Sigma 17-70mm f/2.8, Pentax-A 28mm f/2.8, Sigma 30mm F1.4 EX DC, Pentax-A 50mm f/1.2, Pentax-A 50mm f/1.4, Pentax-FA 50mm f/1.4, Pentax-A 50mm f/1.7, Pentax DA* 50-135mm f/2.8, Sigma 135-400mm APO DG, and more ..
Flash: AF-540FGZ, Vivitar 283
Smeggypants
Posted 21/02/2011 - 19:04 Link
thoughton wrote:
OK you didn't say 'the test is wrong' but you disagreed with the results, saying 'not very good review'. Is that more accurate?
Where did I disagree with the results of the test? Comment Image


Quote:

I don't think what I said is unfair at all. Comparing someone to a parrot doesn't ordinarily count as a considered thoughtful reply.
'parrot' was used simply as a descriptor of someone who repeats ad verbatim. it wasn't perjorative just descriptive.
[i]Bodies: 1x K-5IIs, 2x K-5, Sony TX-5, Nokia 808
Lenses: Pentax DA 10-17mm ED(IF) Fish Eye, Pentax DA 14mm f/2.8, Sigma 17-70mm f/2.8, Pentax-A 28mm f/2.8, Sigma 30mm F1.4 EX DC, Pentax-A 50mm f/1.2, Pentax-A 50mm f/1.4, Pentax-FA 50mm f/1.4, Pentax-A 50mm f/1.7, Pentax DA* 50-135mm f/2.8, Sigma 135-400mm APO DG, and more ..
Flash: AF-540FGZ, Vivitar 283
Edited by Smeggypants: 21/02/2011 - 19:06
Smeggypants
Posted 21/02/2011 - 19:04 Link
thoughton wrote:
Smeggypants wrote:
Tyr wrote:
Essentially it showed that all are quite bad except the Pentax and Hahnel ones.
My repeated point is that the test is only valid for the batteries involved in the test , and despite your claim, I've never disputed the findings of the test.
So are you saying that your batteries from ebay aren't the same as the ebay ones used in the test? In what way are they different?
They work absolutely fine.
[i]Bodies: 1x K-5IIs, 2x K-5, Sony TX-5, Nokia 808
Lenses: Pentax DA 10-17mm ED(IF) Fish Eye, Pentax DA 14mm f/2.8, Sigma 17-70mm f/2.8, Pentax-A 28mm f/2.8, Sigma 30mm F1.4 EX DC, Pentax-A 50mm f/1.2, Pentax-A 50mm f/1.4, Pentax-FA 50mm f/1.4, Pentax-A 50mm f/1.7, Pentax DA* 50-135mm f/2.8, Sigma 135-400mm APO DG, and more ..
Flash: AF-540FGZ, Vivitar 283
johnriley
Posted 21/02/2011 - 21:58 Link
I think we're in the realms of diabologic today. No cat has eight tails. A cat has one more tail than no cat. Therefore a cat has nine tails.

If you see what I mean...
Best regards, John
davem
Posted 21/02/2011 - 22:02 Link
No, but I am sure you can use illogical argument to persuade me. Is this the 3 page arguement or the full 30 pager?



Dave
Smeggypants
Posted 21/02/2011 - 22:04 Link
davem wrote:
No, but I am sure you can use illogical argument to persuade me. Is this the 3 page arguement or the full 30 pager?



Dave
I've told you once.
[i]Bodies: 1x K-5IIs, 2x K-5, Sony TX-5, Nokia 808
Lenses: Pentax DA 10-17mm ED(IF) Fish Eye, Pentax DA 14mm f/2.8, Sigma 17-70mm f/2.8, Pentax-A 28mm f/2.8, Sigma 30mm F1.4 EX DC, Pentax-A 50mm f/1.2, Pentax-A 50mm f/1.4, Pentax-FA 50mm f/1.4, Pentax-A 50mm f/1.7, Pentax DA* 50-135mm f/2.8, Sigma 135-400mm APO DG, and more ..
Flash: AF-540FGZ, Vivitar 283
davem
Posted 21/02/2011 - 22:10 Link
No you have not....
Smeggypants
Posted 21/02/2011 - 22:31 Link
Yes I have.
[i]Bodies: 1x K-5IIs, 2x K-5, Sony TX-5, Nokia 808
Lenses: Pentax DA 10-17mm ED(IF) Fish Eye, Pentax DA 14mm f/2.8, Sigma 17-70mm f/2.8, Pentax-A 28mm f/2.8, Sigma 30mm F1.4 EX DC, Pentax-A 50mm f/1.2, Pentax-A 50mm f/1.4, Pentax-FA 50mm f/1.4, Pentax-A 50mm f/1.7, Pentax DA* 50-135mm f/2.8, Sigma 135-400mm APO DG, and more ..
Flash: AF-540FGZ, Vivitar 283
davem
Posted 21/02/2011 - 22:47 Link
An argument cannot be a simple matter of contradictary statements....

Add Comment

To leave a comment - Log in to Pentax User or create a new account.



Proudly supporting Pentax User

Samsung Logo Asahi Pentax Logo