Some Trees

thingsthatihaveseen

Link Posted 21/12/2017 - 00:10
Hi all

Have been taking some pictures of trees (amongst other things) over the last few weeks... here are some of them... all K1, mostly PLM 55-300, occasional FA 24-90, Irix 15mm,...

All thoughts, observations etc. gratefully received, as ever...

Best
Bill

BillWardPhotography
Instagram
Facebook

carmagw

Link Posted 21/12/2017 - 08:25
Nice set Bill, something about trees. 3,7 And 12 my personal picks.

Regards

George

derek897

Link Posted 21/12/2017 - 11:02
carmagw wrote:
Nice set Bill, something about trees. 3,7 And 12 my personal picks.

Regards

George

What he said.
I'd also add no 5. There's something about it that just clicks, even though it's slightly odd, composition wise, I like it though.
I know what i like, If not always why.

razashaikh

Link Posted 21/12/2017 - 11:25
Amazing shots Bill. Especially 3,5,7, & 9
Moment Stamper: Date Stamp Photo

HowardJ

Link Posted 21/12/2017 - 18:18
Like these very much.

As someone who is trying to improve his technique in photographing trees and woodland can you let us know the Exif data for some of these. And, being cheeky your technique.

Thanks in advance,

Howard
Cymru Am Byth

thingsthatihaveseen

Link Posted 21/12/2017 - 23:31
Thanks George, Derek, Raza and Howard for thoughts re these... much appreciated as ever...

Derek, I had a similar thought to you re the composition on 5... I stood there a long time trying to work out what the shot was... essentially, I think itís the diagonal through the frame left to right (fallen branch, tree, fence)... I also think the gap in the fence helps draw the eye through the frame, as does the post... interesting though, as itís not an obvious composition...

Howard, Iím not a techy unfortunately, but Iím pretty sure thereís a way of picking up the exif on these by right clicking on them or something... hopefully somebody more teched up than me can offer some advice...

Re general thoughts re technique with these, everybodyís different, so Iím somewhat loathe to offer specific advice... but here are some general things that work for me:

* stay as open as you can to whatís around you... anything that stands out that interests you... quality of light, patterns, shapes, textures, contrasts, lit areas vs unlit, juxtapositions... practice noticing...

* give yourself time... as much of it as you can manage... to get past the more obvious shots to what else might be there, which you might not have noticed at first glance...

* have a go at simplifying the compositions as much as possible... I usually use a long lens in the woods, to isolate specific elements... the only shot taken in this set with the Irix 15mm was the last, which is an urban, more ordered, environment... in the woods, I generally try to concentrate on the whole ďcreating order out of disorderĒ thing... itís as much about subtraction as anything else

* use a tripod wherever you can... forces you to be considered and specific with compositions (unusually for me though most of these were hand held due to nature of current work)

All a bit general and non specific Iím afraid, but hopefully might help give you some useful places to start... any further thoughts or questions do feel free to drop me a pm and Iíll do my best to answer...

Thanks and best
Bill

BillWardPhotography
Instagram
Facebook

Defragged

Link Posted 21/12/2017 - 23:41
Love trees. 2, 3 & 7 are my picks. Thanks for sharing.
C.O.L.B.A.S victim
(Compulsive Obsessive Lens Buying Addiction Syndrome)

What you need are lenses, more lenses, bigger lenses, better lenses, faster lenses, and when you have these, your pictures will be perfect!

davidwozhere

Link Posted 22/12/2017 - 00:35
It's certainly the odd numbers that are attracting attention. 3, 5 and 7 for me BUT all of them are showing that, as well as the technical aspect of taking the photo, you firstly need to recognise what will MAKE a good photo and you've got this ability.
Both the *istDS and the K5 are incurably addicted to old glass

My page on Photocrowd - link

thingsthatihaveseen

Link Posted 22/12/2017 - 20:10
Thanks both...

Best
Bill

BillWardPhotography
Instagram
Facebook

MikeInDevon

Link Posted 22/12/2017 - 20:19
Very nice, my top favourite is no. 7, it looks like all the leaves are falling and showering the lone walker.

Cheers
Mike

autumnlight

Link Posted 22/12/2017 - 23:00
A tree or trees sounds so simple and yet they are quite complex and beautiful, a very lovely set, No3 being my favourite.
Kind regards Maria

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Maria-Gray-photography/589310071158079?ref=hl

alfpics

Link Posted 23/12/2017 - 11:01
No 5 for me with the rusty fence and the tree dead centre. Also something majestic about no 9 for me - but all very pleasing!
Andy

Chrism8

Link Posted 23/12/2017 - 11:32
#3 for me. Excellent colours and composition with the receding line from left to right.
Chris

www.chrismillsphotography.co.uk

" A Hangover is something that occupies the Head you neglected to use the night before".

-------------------------------------------------------------
K1 - Sigma 85mm F1.4, Pentax 150 -450 F4.5 / 5.6, Pentax FA 24 - 70 F2.8

Sigma 100-300 F4, Samyang 14mm F2.8, Sigma 70-200 F2.8,

K5iis - Sigma 17 - 70 F2.8, Sigma 70 - 300 F3.5/F5.6, Sigma 18 - 200 F3.6 / F4.5.
Last Edited by Chrism8 on 23/12/2017 - 11:33

thingsthatihaveseen

Link Posted 23/12/2017 - 18:11
Thanks Mike, Maria, Andy and Chris... much appreciated...

Best
Bill

BillWardPhotography
Instagram
Facebook

K10D

Link Posted 23/12/2017 - 18:45
Really good images and well photographed.

Image 5 shows remnants of a man made structure set amongst natural surroundings and works very well.

The colours pour from the images and the last image could be of a Kelutral (home tree).

Best regards
cameradextrous _ Motorcycles etc. link
Add a Comment
You must be registered or logged-in to comment.