Some Recent Macros Not With A Butchered Zoom

DrOrloff

Link Posted 03/06/2014 - 21:55
Here is the contribution from the final third of the reversed Nikkor enlarging lens French contingent.

I bought the lens a year ago after seeing the results that Charlotte achieved. However, after trying it on tubes and reversed on various lenses I just didn't get on with it and gave up. Leaving France has prompted me into action as it is a good place for bug shooting. My shutter count has gone up considerably in the last few days but I am starting to see the potential. I am covered in bites and stings and my elbows are sore. This method is reversed onto lenses, not the butchered zoom. I have measured the working distance on the DFA100macro as 2.8cm - it's not easy to approach the subject. Lighting is provided by the Pringles tube method, which actually worked surprisingly well so I shall stick with that. I can't imagine a more difficult area of photography. Most of these images have faults with them but they do demonstrate the potential of the combination. I love the rich, earthy tones which I think suit the subjects. Varying magnifications according to lens (DFA100 or 77) and how far it was extended:

Golden Waspy Looking Thing

Regular Small Fly:

Regular Small Fly A Bit Closer

Really Titchy Fly:

Robber Fly, Quite Large For A Fly:

Daddy Longlegs:

Aphids:

WTF:

Leafhopper (4-5mm):

Grasshopper Nymph ie: Really Titchy Grasshopper (3-4mm)

You can see some of my photos here if you are so inclined

darkskies

Link Posted 03/06/2014 - 22:08
Excellent! Didn't think it would work so well with those lenses instead of the butchered zoom.
This space deliberately left blank.

DrOrloff

Link Posted 03/06/2014 - 22:23
You should see the cutting room floor. It is almost too difficult a setup to use in the field (for me anyway).

Blythman

Link Posted 03/06/2014 - 22:45
No critique from me. Just stunning !!!
Alan

PPG
Flickr

davidstorm

Link Posted 03/06/2014 - 22:51
A most excellent set, I might have a go at this myself if we get any dry days, but I've also ordered an old zoom which I shall duly butcher.

What combination of apertures on the reversed lens and normal lens resulted in the best results Dr O?

Regards
David
Flickr

Nicola's Apartments, Kassiopi, Corfu

Some cameras, some lenses, some bits 'n' bobs

DrOrloff

Link Posted 03/06/2014 - 23:09
Wide open on the reversed lens - if you stop it down then you can't see much anyway. Minimum aperture on the normal lens as long as the light allows. Then set the focus on the normal lens to the point where it stops vignetting. For the DFA100macro this was at 35cm.

darkskies

Link Posted 04/06/2014 - 07:57
DrOrloff wrote:
You should see the cutting room floor. It is almost too difficult a setup to use in the field (for me anyway).

The more you practise the less you throw away. But it is still a lot. It's impossible to know if you have obtained focus or kept still enough, so you tend to take several just in case. Sometimes several isn't enough.

DrOrloff

Link Posted 04/06/2014 - 12:31
It's really the working distance that I find more
difficult and extra cm would make a big difference. Could you please measure for me the distance using the butchered zoom.

darkskies

Link Posted 04/06/2014 - 12:45
I knew you'd ask that. Wait a bit.

darkskies

Link Posted 04/06/2014 - 12:53
about 5.7 cms.

stub

Link Posted 04/06/2014 - 13:04
Excellent stuff. Would like to see more of it...
K-1Gripped K-1 ungripped K-5ii K7 Various lenses

Stuart..

DrOrloff

Link Posted 04/06/2014 - 13:28
darkskies wrote:
about 5.7 cms.

That will make things a whole lot easier, the depth of field will be a lot more too. Zoom has been ordered.

darkskies

Link Posted 04/06/2014 - 13:46
DrOrloff wrote:
darkskies wrote:
about 5.7 cms.

That will make things a whole lot easier, the depth of field will be a lot more too. Zoom has been ordered.

davidtrout

Link Posted 04/06/2014 - 15:15
I just love looking at natural history macros, especially when they are done so expertly as these. Thanks for opening another world.
David

PPG: http://www.pentaxphotogallery.com/artists/davidtrout
PPG: http://www.pentaxphotogallery.com/artists/davidtrout

bjolester

Link Posted 04/06/2014 - 16:20
I have never been into macro photography myself, but I am very impressed with the quality of these images. Thank you for sharing!

Bjørn
Bjørn

PPG
Flickr
Add a Comment
You must be registered or logged-in to comment.