So Disappointed

davidstorm

Link Posted 31/07/2016 - 17:12
My strongest recommendation would be to go out on a shoot with some people familiar with getting the best from Pentax DSLR's.. Whereabouts in the UK are you located GBR?

Also, I would caution against taking too much notice of what you read in the magazines! There is nothing wrong with the 18-55 lens, it is a fine optic for what it is. 18-55 is a typical reach for a 'standard zoom' lens, if you need to go longer there are plenty of alternatives available, the 55-300 being one of those. If you're looking for just a bit of extra reach and not the full telephoto of the 55-300, the 18-135 is probably a better bet, giving you coverage all the way from wide angle to short telephoto.

With a small amount of guidance, a bit of confidence and a very small amount of post processing in any of the programs available for this purpose, there is no doubt the results from your K50 will be hugely better than anything you can get from your Panasonic compact. The K50 is in a different league when it comes to image quality.

Don't be afraid to seek out someone local to you that frequents this forum, if you let us know your location I'm sure the offers of help will come flooding in.

Regards
David
My Website http://imagesbydavidstorm.foliopic.com

Flickr

Some cameras, some lenses, some bits 'n' bobs

GBR

Link Posted 31/07/2016 - 17:23
Thanks once again!
I actually purchased he Dummies book to DSLR and couldn't really associate with it, spent half the book talking equipment and computers
So can anyone recommend a better beginners book please?
And bk to the lens issue. Do you think it would be better to start with the 55-300 or the 18-135 and get rid of the 18-55?
Thanks again everyone!

GBR

Link Posted 31/07/2016 - 17:27
Sorry David,
Think our posts must have crossed, thanks for answering the question on the lenses. And thanks for the great in depth advice. G

McGregNi

Link Posted 31/07/2016 - 17:31
I would use the two lenses ... Whilst the 18-135 is convenient and has its purposes (namely when we want to avoid changing lenses in a particular outing for some reason), the extra reach to 300mm will offer up some great photo opportunities that could be missed otherwise.

None of these lenses are really big or heavy in the scheme of things, so carrying the two shouldn't be a big concern.
My Guides to the Pentax Digital Camera Flash Lighting System : Download here from the PentaxForums Homepage Article .... link
Pentax K7 with BG-4 Grip / Samyang 14mm f2.8 ED AS IF UMC / DA18-55mm f3.5-5.6 AL WR / SMC A28mm f2.8 / D FA 28-105mm / SMC F35-70 f3.5-4.5 / SMC A50mm f1.7 / Tamron AF70-300mm f4-5.6 Di LD macro / SMC M75-150mm f4.0 / Tamron Adaptall (CT-135) 135mm f2.8 / Asahi Takumar-A 2X tele-converter / Pentax AF-540FGZ (I & II) Flashes / Cactus RF60/X Flashes & V6/V6II Transceiver

davidstorm

Link Posted 31/07/2016 - 17:52
I do agree Nigel. I wouldn't go on a trip of any length without my 55-300 - it is so valuable in lots of situations that arise when you need that extra reach. However, I'm in a bit of a dilemma as my chosen approach used to be to carry 2 DSLR's, one of which always had the 55-300 attached. I now don't want to carry 2, so I suppose lens changes are the order of the day!

55-300 is a great lens though, so much image quality for not much money. Here's one of my favourites taken with this lens:

That was with the K-5, but the K50 is well capable of similar.

Regards
David
My Website http://imagesbydavidstorm.foliopic.com

Flickr

Some cameras, some lenses, some bits 'n' bobs

RobL

Link Posted 31/07/2016 - 18:06
GBR wrote:
Thanks once again!
I actually purchased he Dummies book to DSLR and couldn't really associate with it, spent half the book talking equipment and computers
And bk to the lens issue. Do you think it would be better to start with the 55-300 or the 18-135 and get rid of the 18-55?
Thanks again everyone!

It seems that a lot of 'beginners' books' are overfilled with computer stuff, I got one from The Works which has at least half it's content about Photoshop. This one I found useful: The Beginner's Photography Guide published by DK; several contributors so no named author, usually found in WH Smith or Waterstones.

stu62

Link Posted 31/07/2016 - 20:37
GBR wrote:
Thanks once again!
Thanks again everyone!

there is nothing wrong with the 18/55
people slate it mainly because it is the standerd kit lens for all makes of camera
i think the perception is that its crap because they gave it to you lol but its not

Gwyn

Link Posted 31/07/2016 - 22:14
You could see if there is an evening course near you. They will be starting again in September so now is a good time to look. It will teach you the basics of DSLR and photography in general. A good course will also offer critique of photos you take as homework, to help you develop your skills further.
Or take up one of the offers on the forum of course.
I think a course, or even a couple of hours with someone who knows what they are talking about will help a total beginner far more than a book.

theonenadeem

Link Posted 01/08/2016 - 02:43
Try typing "ebooksforpentax". Into google. I purchased the book for the K30 which is similar to the K50 . Information is easier read than manual
.k5eeeeiisi
GBR wrote:
Thanks once again!
Thanks again everyone!

MrB

Link Posted 01/08/2016 - 09:42
davidstorm wrote:

My strongest recommendation would be to go out on a shoot with some people familiar with getting the best from Pentax DSLR's.. Whereabouts in the UK are you located GBR?...
...Don't be afraid to seek out someone local to you that frequents this forum, if you let us know your location I'm sure the offers of help will come flooding in.
Regards
David

+1

Philip

Simonmac

Link Posted 01/08/2016 - 11:00
Hello

All that I can add is that reading books is no substitute for getting out and taking lots of photographs.

Like many, I moved from film to a digital compact. I always liked my compact and the images it produced. I then went back to Pentax with the K100d Super. At first I hated the images until I realised that the compact had done all of the processing work previously. Once I learned how to take control things got a lot better.

Unlike some, I would not advocate shooting RAW straight away. That is a whole new learning curve that I am still on. You could shoot RAW+ jpeg. Play around with the former and fine tune the latter. I shot jpeg for several years before taking the plunge into RAW. And again, books and googling helped somewaht- but they were no substitute for doing. But we all have different learning styles!!!

All the very best!

Simon
macmccreery.com
www.flickr.com/photos/simac/
www.500px.com/simac

johnriley

Link Posted 01/08/2016 - 11:37
I agree Simon. The last thing a beginner needs is to be plunged into the complexities of shooting RAW as well as learning everything else. Start with the camera's default JPEG settings, then work upwards from there.

A step at a time.
Best regards, John

McGregNi

Link Posted 01/08/2016 - 14:14
I agree on the jpeg/thing .... However, I'd caution about just 'getting out and shooting photos'. That can lead to frustration if some fundamentals are not in place. I think some quality concentrated time with a good book, before going and trying things out, will pay dividends and reward the practical time with more controllable results.
My Guides to the Pentax Digital Camera Flash Lighting System : Download here from the PentaxForums Homepage Article .... link
Pentax K7 with BG-4 Grip / Samyang 14mm f2.8 ED AS IF UMC / DA18-55mm f3.5-5.6 AL WR / SMC A28mm f2.8 / D FA 28-105mm / SMC F35-70 f3.5-4.5 / SMC A50mm f1.7 / Tamron AF70-300mm f4-5.6 Di LD macro / SMC M75-150mm f4.0 / Tamron Adaptall (CT-135) 135mm f2.8 / Asahi Takumar-A 2X tele-converter / Pentax AF-540FGZ (I & II) Flashes / Cactus RF60/X Flashes & V6/V6II Transceiver

GBR

Link Posted 01/08/2016 - 14:23
Well thanks everyone for your contributions of which there is plenty of good advice.
I've ordered the suggested book, I'm going to take up the offer of some one to one and I am going to switch the camera to jpeg. Most importantly as suggested, I am going to get out there and start practising with the camera.
Thanks again everyone for all the fantastic advice.

SteveLedger

Link Posted 01/08/2016 - 19:52
I'd also recommend YouTube video tutorials.
Mike Browne for example is a likable down-to-earth guy and can help you get to grips with the fundamentals of DSLR photography. He doesn't use Pentax cameras, but brand doesn't matter when learning the basics that apply to photography and all DSLR cameras.
https://www.youtube.com/user/photoexposed/videos?flow=grid&view=0&sort=da
Add a Comment
You must be registered or logged-in to comment.