So Disappointed

GBR

Link Posted 30/07/2016 - 13:44
Hello again everyone, and I hope everyone is keeping well!

I wrote a few months ago prior to purchasing the Pentax K50 and asked for you opinion.

Well, due to business and family commitments the purchase was put on hold for a few months which finally took place in May.

As I was off on holiday at the beginning of June I was itching to get the camera out and see how it performed.

Now before you kindly read any further, I must stress the following!

I know that many of the criticisms I am about to point out are down to me and not the camera, so please do not think for one second that I am in any way criticizing this fine camera.

Up to now I have been using a Panasonic FMZ 38 Bridge Camera, which always gave pretty fair results. Easy to use with a fantastic zoom facility. The first thing I noticed then when using the Pentax was the lack of zoom from the 18-55 lens. Whereas the Pano could zoom in to fantastic range the Pentax could not compete. And because many of the objects I wanted to capture were a distance away there was no way I could get physically closer.

Being a novice I though I better stick with auto mode until I learn the basics, yet everything seemed so dark, which again against the Pano in automatic mode the Pentax a long way back in second place.

Ok, no perseverance on my behalf maybe, but I put the camera back in the bag after two days and didnít touch it again for the rest of the holiday.

I'm really not sure if I have bittern off more than I can chew in purchasing this camera, which seems very complicated.

I have the manual that comes with the camera but I am not embarrassed to admit that I don't read instructions that well, you wanna see me try and but flat pack furniture together!

It's a lovely camera, looks good and feels great to hold, but I fear it might be a little too far out of my league.

spinno

Link Posted 30/07/2016 - 14:54
These things take time to understand and to learn how to use. Probably not possible in your case but I would have suggested an additional lens for telephoto work and time spent before your holiday familiarizing yourself with the camera. As a former K-50 user it is a cracking camera.
David

Chrism8

Link Posted 30/07/2016 - 15:09
Hi GBR

I'd be happy to offer you some 1-2-1 training, PM me if your interested for rates etc, visit my web site and check out my testimonials.
Chris

www.chrismillsphotography.co.uk

" A Hangover is something that occupies the Head you neglected to use the night before".

-------------------------------------------------------------
K1 - Pentax 100 Macro F2.8 - Sigma 85mm F1.4, Pentax 150 -450 F4.5 / 5.6

Pentax FA 24 - 70 F2.8, Sigma 100-300 F4, Samyang 14mm F2.8, Sigma 70-200 F2.8,

K5iis - Sigma 17 - 70 F2.8, Sigma 70 - 300 F3.5/F5.6, Sigma 18 - 200 F3.6 / F4.5.
Last Edited by Chrism8 on 30/07/2016 - 15:10

punkrockemo

Link Posted 30/07/2016 - 15:42
I understand your frustration, i used to own the Pansonic FZ38 before purchasing a DSLR , when i started using the DSLR I was not imediatley impressed. I took some practice and getting familar with the new camera before I started getting better images. This is far from the first post i have seen from somebody moving from an compact or bridge camera to a DSLR and being disaponted.

If you finding the exposures typically to dark you adjust pressing the +/- button on the top and using the back dial to increase or decrease the exposure. I do find the pentax camera tends to produce darker photos by default in comparison to panasonic.

The zoom of the panasonic model is its strongets point, the only way to get similar with a dslr is with an additional lens, the 55-300 would get you close.

Reading camera manuals can be a bit of an overload of information, much of which you wont use at first, but i dont think you will truly see the advantages of the camera unless you learn how it works.

McGregNi

Link Posted 30/07/2016 - 15:55
The differences you can see between your small bridge camera and the DSLR are mainly to do with exposure and software processing differences. The sensor in the FMZ38 is very small compared to that in your K50, and so the potential image quality is far less than that from the Pentax.

I say 'potential', because the key to obtaining that IQ is through the knowledge and skill of the photographer. I actually have the FMZ38 .... it was my only digital camera before I came to Pentax and got the K7 (I used a Canon film SLR set-up at the same time for a number of years before switching to Pentax). I can say that from processing many hundreds of shots from the Panasonic, (using the same RAW conversion and editing steps as with the files from my K7), that the IQ of the FMZ38 falls well short .... and of course your K50 has a much better sensor than the K7 as well!

In particular, the dynamic range and colour depth are much much less .... this is seen through blown highlights and much starker steps between colours (less blend and smoothness between the primary colours) from the Panasonic.

Of course, taking fully automatic shots on the Panasonic is easy, but the potential from the K7 (and any later DSLR) is far greater .... but it needs that knowledge of how best to take extra control and in which situations, in order to extract the best from it.

So, if you are committed to it and want to improve your photography, and get far more out of it .... then stick with your DSLR and get the additional items that it needs to become the most versatile tool. That would be lenses to start with, depending on what you like to photograph, then expanding to a tripod, remote control, flashes etc as you want to expand those horizons. There will be expert advice on every aspect of this available right here at Pentax User.

I learnt most stuff about photography from books and magazines .... loads of them! There are plenty of good general photography books,updated for the digital age, that cover every aspect of DSLR photography. Have a look in Waterstones. For Pentax specific information then check out the various articles and reviews on this site, as well as PentaxForums.com. There are plenty of guides to various aspects, like exposure control, lens mount and lens types, landscape / portrait techniques etc.

I would say that its definately a journey well worth taking, and well worth taking time over ....
My Guides to the Pentax Digital Camera Flash Lighting System : Download here from the PentaxForums Homepage Article .... link
Pentax K7 with BG-4 Grip / Samyang 14mm f2.8 ED AS IF UMC / DA18-55mm f3.5-5.6 AL WR / SMC A28mm f2.8 / D FA 28-105mm / SMC F35-70 f3.5-4.5 / SMC A50mm f1.7 / Tamron AF70-300mm f4-5.6 Di LD macro / SMC M75-150mm f4.0 / Tamron Adaptall (CT-135) 135mm f2.8 / Asahi Takumar-A 2X tele-converter / Pentax AF-540FGZ (I & II) Flashes / Cactus RF60/X Flashes & V6/V6II Transceiver

QuestionableCarrot

Link Posted 30/07/2016 - 18:03
grab a film camera and shoot film for a few months

DONE
Learn how to live and you'll know how to die; learn how to die, and you'll know how to live.

Check out ones photographs on Flickr!

http://www.flickr.com/photos/awprentice/

McGregNi

Link Posted 30/07/2016 - 18:22
Well QC, I can say for sure that if I went back to film then my chances of learning to shoot great flying bird shots would be exponentially diminished!
My Guides to the Pentax Digital Camera Flash Lighting System : Download here from the PentaxForums Homepage Article .... link
Pentax K7 with BG-4 Grip / Samyang 14mm f2.8 ED AS IF UMC / DA18-55mm f3.5-5.6 AL WR / SMC A28mm f2.8 / D FA 28-105mm / SMC F35-70 f3.5-4.5 / SMC A50mm f1.7 / Tamron AF70-300mm f4-5.6 Di LD macro / SMC M75-150mm f4.0 / Tamron Adaptall (CT-135) 135mm f2.8 / Asahi Takumar-A 2X tele-converter / Pentax AF-540FGZ (I & II) Flashes / Cactus RF60/X Flashes & V6/V6II Transceiver

stu62

Link Posted 30/07/2016 - 19:25
To be honest you will always be on a learning curve with any camera
It doesn't mater who you are you will still be learning new things and anybody that says they know it all are talking out there arse
One bit of advice would be to get ether a 70/300 or a 50/300 lens and another is to find some where mixes squirt for the day like a nice garden or park and play with the camera the latter works wonders

Jonathan-Mac

Link Posted 30/07/2016 - 19:29
I'm sorry to say that neither of those issues are due to the camera. DSLRs tend to underexpose to protect highlights, the idea being that you shoot in RAW and fix later in-camera or on a computer, but exposure compensation is often required when shooting to brighten images up. Cameras which meter from the image sensor will always have more accurate exposure than DSLRs, but it's something you learn to compensate for.

As for reach, well that depends 100% on the lens. Pentax has plenty of telephoto lenses at good prices which perform reasonably well, the 55-300mm ones are probably the best deal.

Aside from that, being away on holiday is never the best time to learn your way around a new camera. If it had been me I'd have made time to take it out for a while before going, just to make sure it works and I understand the basics.
Pentax hybrid user - Digital K3 & K200D, film 645 and 35mm SLR and Pentax (&other) lenses adapted to Fuji X digital
Fan of DA limited and old manual lenses

bwlchmawr

Link Posted 31/07/2016 - 07:34
You must shoot RAW; if you don't you may as well stick to a compact or bridge camera

I took my little Canon EOS M out yesterday. The averaged JPEG results showed bleached out clouds and over exposed highlights with thick, muddy shadows. Ten minutes in Photoshop and all was as I originally saw the scenes.

I even shoot RAW with my MX-1 compact.
Best wishes,

Andrew

"These places mean something and it's the job of a photographer to figure-out what the hell it is."
Robert Adams
"The camera doesn't make a bit of difference.† All of them can record what you are seeing.† But, you have to SEE."
Ernst Hass
My website: http://www.ephotozine.com/user/bwlchmawr-199050 http://s927.photobucket.com/home/ADC3440/index
https://www.flickr.com/photos/78898196@N05

McGregNi

Link Posted 31/07/2016 - 08:10
We're trying hard, but I fear we've lost him

GBR

Link Posted 31/07/2016 - 10:43
Hello,
Sorry not lost, month end at work and hours of reports and number crunching!
Thanks ever so much for all the fantastic advice and taking the time to answer in such detail.
To be perfectly honest I'm a little scared to get the camera out now, as strange as this might seem.
You were also right that I should have practised before taking it on holiday.
Whether or not this has anything to do with it I don't know, but will mention it any way.
I spent many years with a Sony PD170 video camera, always used it in manual mode. Set the white balance, zoom in to the subject to get the correct exposure, set the corresponding F number, zoom out, frame hey presto.
So, I guess it was going to be as easy as that with a DSLR.
I will take on board your comments about getting hold of a 55-300 lens, the current 18-55 seems to get bad reviews in most of the magazines. They all seem to suggest the 18-135.
I am also going to try and get down to the basics, my biggest enemy is time.
I not looking to become the next David Bailey, just want to master this camera which at the moment is very much mine.
Thanks again for all your advice, its really nice that all you professionals take the time to respond to a completed novice. Thank you so much!

RobL

Link Posted 31/07/2016 - 11:25
I would just try it in RAW on a semi-automatic setting like AV or TAV and just gradually work through the manual, and use a basic processing programme to see what can be done with the images. It is pretty daunting as the camera is designed to be modified to suit all different situations but most of these can be picked up as you go along. If it helps the manual can be downloaded to an iPad etc. from the Ricoh website
Last Edited by RobL on 31/07/2016 - 11:26

McGregNi

Link Posted 31/07/2016 - 14:14
Good advice, but I would just caution against relying on the camera manual as a learning aid. My suggestion would be to find a good general book on DSLR photography, aim to try out the techniques and camera control approaches you see detailed in the book, and use the manual bit by bit to search for any specific instructions that are needed for your camera.

I just feel that the better way to first approach things is through understanding the general principles of what is happening and what you need to do to take control.
Last Edited by McGregNi on 31/07/2016 - 14:15

Chrism8

Link Posted 31/07/2016 - 15:08
Chrism8 wrote:
Hi GBR

I'd be happy to offer you some 1-2-1 training, PM me if your interested for rates etc, visit my web site and check out my testimonials.

Or a couple of hours 1 - 2 - 1 could do this for you
Chris

www.chrismillsphotography.co.uk

" A Hangover is something that occupies the Head you neglected to use the night before".

-------------------------------------------------------------
K1 - Pentax 100 Macro F2.8 - Sigma 85mm F1.4, Pentax 150 -450 F4.5 / 5.6

Pentax FA 24 - 70 F2.8, Sigma 100-300 F4, Samyang 14mm F2.8, Sigma 70-200 F2.8,

K5iis - Sigma 17 - 70 F2.8, Sigma 70 - 300 F3.5/F5.6, Sigma 18 - 200 F3.6 / F4.5.
Add a Comment
You must be registered or logged-in to comment.