Snowdon reflections - reworked using contrast masking

simonkit
Posted 28/03/2010 - 11:40 Link
I'm currently trying out a new processing technique, Contrast Masking (new to me anyway) & would appreciate peoples thoughts on these shots

Thanks

Simon

[IMG]http://i37.photobucket.com/albums/e68/STKITCHIN/G102175.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://i37.photobucket.com/albums/e68/STKITCHIN/G102165.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://i37.photobucket.com/albums/e68/STKITCHIN/G102151.jpg[/IMG]
royd63uk
Posted 28/03/2010 - 14:54 Link
beautiful shots,good work to,though for me the first one is slightly overdone.

Roy
regards
Roy

Pentax K3 gripped,and some lenses
https://www.flickr.com/photos/pentaxroy/

my pbase gallery
bwlchmawr
Posted 28/03/2010 - 17:39 Link
Simon, I have to honest: this is one of my all time favourite views. It's extraordinary to see that lake so still. And the reflection is amazing.

But the colours...they seem unreal and synthetic. Reminds me of a very cheap east German colour print film I bought in the old days...

Best wishes,

Andrew
Best wishes,

Andrew

"These places mean something and it's the job of a photographer to figure-out what the hell it is."
Robert Adams
"The camera doesn't make a bit of difference.  All of them can record what you are seeing.  But, you have to SEE."
Ernst Hass
My website: http://www.ephotozine.com/user/bwlchmawr-199050
http://s927.photobucket.com/home/ADC3440/index
https://www.flickr.com/photos/78898196@N05
aliengrove
Posted 28/03/2010 - 18:31 Link
Beautiful shots, look like hdr... what is contrast masking? The colours look ok to me, apart from the green, which looks a bit like plastic. I would love to see these shots processed normally.. the reflections are amazing.
StephenLewis
Posted 28/03/2010 - 19:13 Link
Must agree with all above. Wonderful shots. Could we see the originals for comparison? I also would like to know more about 'contrast making'.

Again, absolutely marvellous. Reminds me of west coast Nfld.

Regards,

Stephen
I gladly welcome C & C's. Being foggy minded they really help me learn.
simonkit
Posted 28/03/2010 - 19:24 Link
Thanks for the comments everyone,

OK...now for a slightly different approach again - the top image is the original, straight from RAW.

The 2nd shot has been exposed to emphasise the lighting on the mountains, at the expense of some of the finer detail

Keep up those comments please

Simon

[IMG]http://i37.photobucket.com/albums/e68/STKITCHIN/_G102165-copy.jpg[/IMG]


[IMG]http://i37.photobucket.com/albums/e68/STKITCHIN/G102165_nosharp_2.jpg[/IMG]
StephenLewis
Posted 28/03/2010 - 19:32 Link
Sorry to say but, I much prefer no's 2 & 3 of the first set and the original RAW image over the processed (final) one. All areas appear darker and less defined to these eyes.

Best regards,

Stephen
I gladly welcome C & C's. Being foggy minded they really help me learn.
royd63uk
Posted 28/03/2010 - 20:18 Link
Personally i prefer the very final image i think the darker areas give real depth.

Roy
regards
Roy

Pentax K3 gripped,and some lenses
https://www.flickr.com/photos/pentaxroy/

my pbase gallery

Add Comment

To leave a comment - Log in to Pentax User or create a new account.



Proudly supporting Pentax User

Samsung Logo Asahi Pentax Logo