Sneer.

  • Topic Locked - You will not be able to post to this topic. Disruptive content
Mannesty
Posted 13/01/2011 - 08:58 Link
davex wrote:
TBH I actually find the OP quite insulting.
I think that was his point, he was trying to be. It does seem rather out of character though, but who hasn't felt the need to let of steam occasionally.

Perhaps he meant it, perhaps he didn't. Maybe we'll never know if the 'post police' can't persuade him otherwise.
Peter E Smith - flickr Photostream
T140
Posted 13/01/2011 - 09:37 Link
Sometimes lurking is better, cant get into trouble that way
Nobody is perfect, but being Scottish is a start
thoramay
Posted 13/01/2011 - 09:43 Link
That someone who has been such a valuable help and inspiration to me personally should feel the need to leave this forum is a real disapointment.
We all feel stress in our lives at times and can release this in a inappropriate way.
I would like to think that this is the case here.
Mowag, I will miss you and would ask that you take time out and realise that we are not all as you have painted, and for those of us who value your contribution, come back and share your knowledge and expertise with us, pleaase.

Thoramay.
Gwyn
Posted 13/01/2011 - 09:50 Link
Mea culpa. I was offended by the word. It was unnecessary in the context in which it was used. I have nothing against swearing. I swear. But on public forum I don't think it is needed.

I am sorry Mowog has chosen to go. I shall miss his humour and his contributions to the forum.
mayday
Posted 13/01/2011 - 10:25 Link
Well I have read quite a few posts of late that seem to get the OP "Into Trouble" and get the impression that, on occasion, we all seem to get oh so serious about the smallest things. Life is too short - we should be out there enjoying it, not sat in front of a computer venting our wrath so to speak. Assumptions appear to have been made that after a certain age, we all eat the same sweets, watch/listen to the same programmes and all have similar medical conditions...I found the OP quite amusing to read, in that vein, and did not let it get to me one jot. It is a shame that a member of this site should feel that their only course of action left is to leave the forum. There is so much more to photography than petty squabbles and becoming all steamed up about something. At a certain age one must watch the blood pressure, keep taking the vitamin supplements and if cocoa at bedtime is your thing whilst watching the party political broadcast - each to his own...
Regards
David

Retired at last - now all that time for photography - you would think: wink:
davidtrout
Posted 13/01/2011 - 10:30 Link
It's a great exit speech though, innit.
David (Radio 3+4)
Edited by davidtrout: 13/01/2011 - 10:31
Algernon
Posted 13/01/2011 - 10:37 Link
Sorry to see Mowog go, he made me laugh with the way
he looked at life

I thought everyone listened to Chris Evans on Radio2
I only listen to it because I can't stand the adverts on
the likes of Smooth FM
Half Man... Half Pentax ... Half Cucumber

Pentax K-1 + K-5 and some other stuff

Algi
jeff0000
Posted 13/01/2011 - 11:19 Link
Mowag, I will miss you and would ask that you take time out and realise that we are not all as you have painted, and for those of us who value your contribution, come back and share your knowledge and expertise with us, pleaase.


dont beg good bye silly man

i should say silly little boy as he cant take it him self thats why he has gone he cant take the ban like a man so he kicks off with all this crap GOOD BYE.
i have said some things on here look at the posts i have done and iam still here like me or not i say it as is it
playing firm but fair all the way
Edited by jeff0000: 13/01/2011 - 11:23
johnriley
Posted 13/01/2011 - 11:43 Link
It's very easy to stay you know.

It's unfortunate that I feel obliged to maintain confidentiality over things, so I can't put the other side to the story, whereas some put their opinions across in no uncertain terms.

As for numbers, these have never been higher, but that's a different issue altogether. The usual problem is that it can be made unpleasant for newcomers and I think it's a bit tragic that at least one member can't let his son participate when there's a wealth of photographic knowledge here that could help to inspire him.

Do we cater for those who have a genuine interest or those who want to sneer?
Best regards, John
Blythman
Posted 13/01/2011 - 11:54 Link
Mowog made some good posts on here. But rules are rules. And the nature of this forum isn't one where there should be a need to vent ones spleen. Its not as if its jammed packed with Canikon fanboys giving it large.

I'm disappointed that he's left, but I'm also disappointed in the manner of his leaving.

The Mods/Administrators have a thankless task on any forum, and I for one appreciate the job being done.
Alan


PPG
Flickr
johnriley
Posted 13/01/2011 - 11:57 Link
Controls are in place to enable filtering of images if required. It's up to parents to monitor their offspring and the tools are there to enable them to do this.

I use the word sneer as the title of this thread gave us a fair indication of its intent. The content quickly confirmed it.

As for quiet, it goes quiet post-wise when people start to argue. When they stop, it floods back. Every time the pattern is the same.
Best regards, John
CoDa
Posted 13/01/2011 - 12:34 Link
Just to put my take on it, my grandchildren (13+10) hear and use swear words at school and also at home (I do not agree with it) I do not say anything because people bring up children differently now.

I joined this and other photographic forums, to learn & give input where I can.

I think the moderators on any forum have a hard job to do, but we as "adults" should think about other peoples feelings before ranting and raving.

Regards
Colin

“Nobody made a greater mistake than he who did nothing because he could do only a little.”
Edmund Burke (1729 – 1797)


[IMG]http://i941.photobucket.com/albums/ad254/weldingblues/K-7userbar-red.jpg[/IMG]
Oggy
Posted 13/01/2011 - 12:53 Link
I must admit there are times when I wonder about the language used here.

How for example do people get excreta in their cameras?
techno-terminator
Posted 13/01/2011 - 13:03 Link
good one there Oggy

This actually reminds me of an incident many years ago.

Daughter #1 was under 4 at the time and when I was driving her about she was in a Britax Shell in the centre seat at the front of our elderly Series 2A landrover.

I used to take her back an forth to Nursery School then as I was in College . Occasionally when really stressed by a bit of stupid/dangerous driving from someone else I would make a comment in rather down to earth language.

One day the three of us were in Amaryllis [ yes that was the 2A's name ] I was driving [ most unusual since if we were all together it was normally in the car and my husband would be the driver ] when the car in front suddenly stopped dead and this little voice beside me made a few very pertinent comments

Afterwards we agreed we would have to be a tad more careful but through our laughter my husband said - " well I've not heard her do that before but you have to admit it was totally appropriate "
let the education continue

proud owner of a couple of cameras and a few bits and bobs
Pentaxophile
Posted 13/01/2011 - 13:04 Link
The forum has a 'no offensive language' rule, simple as that - we might disagree as to what's offensive, and sometimes a word is innocuous in one context, and deemed offensive in another, but the mods have to draw the line somewhere I guess. To err is human, to blow it up out of all proportion when we are pulled up on something is just causing unnecessary aggro.

But as to kids on the internet... they're going to hear a lot worse language in the playground, and see much more offensive talk/images elsewhere online than the very occasional 'expletive,' buried within a post which has very little interest to anyone who isn't involved in the banter itself, on this site.

Proudly supporting Pentax User

Samsung Logo Asahi Pentax Logo