SMC Pentax Reflex Zoom 400-600mm lens

mudge

Link Posted 17/12/2011 - 00:23
I'm thinking of selling this rare top quality lens on e-bay in order to raise funds to cover the cost of a new "Pentax 100mm Macro WR lens", for my recently aquired Pentax K-5 camera.
I've seen 2 of these lenses for sale on E-bay recently, one for about £450 and the other £780, which is quite a difference!
Has anyone any idea of its actual value?
It comes with a case and the 6 standard filters, and is in near mint condition

kingfisher

Link Posted 17/12/2011 - 06:31
http://www.pentaxforums.com/lensreviews/SMC-Pentax-K-400-600mm-F8-12-Reflex-Zoom...

this may be little helpfull. prices are in $ ....so for EU just replace $ with EUR and leave the value - as all photo items in us are way more cheaper than in europe.
but somebody paying 780£ for it - that must be some lens-collector-madman

womble

Link Posted 17/12/2011 - 10:28
What people ask on ebay and what they get are not necessarily the same thing!

These don't come up too often, and nice that you still have the filters. Zoom-mirror lenses are pretty usual.

K.

PS the only completed sale on ebay at the moment went for £515.
Kris Lockyear
It is an illusion that photos are made with the camera… they are made with the eye, heart and head. Henri Cartier-Bresson
Lots of film bodies, a couple of digital ones, too many lenses (mainly older glass) and a Horseman LE 5x4.

My website
Last Edited by womble on 17/12/2011 - 10:30

mudge

Link Posted 17/12/2011 - 15:38
Thanks for the responses
I appreciate that the asking price on E-bay is not necessarily what they get, but I was wondering whether the ones I've seen are realistic, or are the sellers just pushing their luck?
I can't decide whether to put it up for Auction (perhaps with a reserve) or simply ask for a Set Price. what would you recommend?
Last Edited by mudge on 17/12/2011 - 15:39

cabstar

Link Posted 17/12/2011 - 15:44
Reserve prices are ridiculously costly nowadays.

I would do it buy it now with an accept best offer, make the best offer the price you want and add 15% for buy it now price, you never know you might get a buyer pay full price. Listing this was costs just 20 for a month, I think £500 reserve price costs approx £15, big difference..
PPG Wedding photography Flickr
Concert photography

Currently on a Pentax hiatus until an FF Pentax is released

Algernon

Link Posted 17/12/2011 - 15:59
The good thing about the reserve price (I've mentioned it in other threads) is that the buyer is bidding against the seller not against other bidders. It's very naughty of ebay to do that

In other words if you put say £500 reserve on and the general opinion is that it's only worth £300 and bids are received up to that. If one MUG comes along trying to be smart and puts a bid or a swipe on for £550. Ebay will sell it to him for £500 (possibly £501?) even though non of the other bidders thought it was worth that

I haven't sold anything on ebay for about 2 years, and even then I only sold a few items, so I've lost touch with the prices and how things work. I've just noticed that some things have gone a bit dodgy.
Half Man... Half Pentax ... Half Cucumber

Pentax K-1 + K-5 and some other stuff

Algi
Last Edited by Algernon on 17/12/2011 - 16:02

cabstar

Link Posted 17/12/2011 - 16:02
But that's how real auction houses work, if they have a reserve set then the same thing happens, hence why ebay charge so much for this.

The buy it now works in reverse but achieves exactly the same thing, but there is the chance to make more
PPG Wedding photography Flickr
Concert photography

Currently on a Pentax hiatus until an FF Pentax is released

Algernon

Link Posted 17/12/2011 - 16:07
cabstar wrote:
But that's how real auction houses work, if they have a reserve set then the same thing happens, hence why ebay charge so much for this.

We went through that in another thread The standard practice of the big auction houses is that reserves can be no higher than 2/3 rds of the auction houses valuation and if the reserve isn't reached the highest bid is referred back to the seller to see if they want to accept it.
Half Man... Half Pentax ... Half Cucumber

Pentax K-1 + K-5 and some other stuff

Algi

beginner

Link Posted 17/12/2011 - 16:10
kingfisher wrote:
http://www.pentaxforums.com/lensreviews/SMC-Pentax-K-400-600mm-F8-12-Reflex-Zoom...

this may be little helpfull. prices are in $ ....so for EU just replace $ with EUR and leave the value - as all photo items in us are way more cheaper than in europe.
but somebody paying 780£ for it - that must be some lens-collector-madman

Doesn't have a lot going for it!
K20D...ist DS ,DA18/55,DA16/45.DA* 50/135,"A"1.7 50MM..."A" 70/210..M 50mm f2...Tamron 90mm macro,28/300 Tamron,200/500 Tamron 6.9....A Pentax DA*300... Sigma10/20,FA31mm 1.8 Ltd*********,FA 77mm Ltd!
Add a Comment
You must be registered or logged-in to comment.