Horses for courses

tyronet2000

Link Posted 14/12/2011 - 10:50
There is, to me anyway, a bewildering selection of lenses available for the Pentax camera, so basically what does what? I use the 18-55mm for general photos, the 50-200mm to photograph things that are futher away, 10-24mm for landscape and 105mm macro for little things. What do all the others do, 35mm, 43mm, 21mm etc etc. It must be a problem packing a bag unless you know beforehand what you are shooting.
Regards
Stan

PPG

dougf8

Link Posted 14/12/2011 - 10:59
Get bigger bags and ask your assistant to pull your trolley.

Or get a float and work your way through the lenses in the classified working out what suits you and then trade up to the best version you can afford.

Or just take two lenses out and take the best photo you can with what you have.

I've seen pictures from an 8k lens and thought how dull the composition was.
Lurking is shirking.!

tyronet2000

Link Posted 14/12/2011 - 11:23
dougf8 wrote:
Get bigger bags and ask your assistant to pull your trolley.

Or get a float and work your way through the lenses in the classified working out what suits you and then trade up to the best version you can afford.

Or just take two lenses out and take the best photo you can with what you have.

I've seen pictures from an 8k lens and thought how dull the composition was.

The trolley looks ideal for transporting people home from the pub

8k for a lens how vulgar and ostentatious is that

I'm happy with what I have, was just wondering why one particular lens would be better than another say for snapping a trolley.
Regards
Stan

PPG

timd

Link Posted 14/12/2011 - 11:33
Here is a man who has not got LBA (yet). You ask for a reason why? - because you can! Each lens has nuances; each lens is a compromise. The more tolerant of the effect of the compromise, the fewer lenses you require.

You do not mention fast lenses for low light / shallow DOF. Weather resistant lenses. I could go on....

LBA is essentially an acknowledgement that there is a lens out there that might be better for a particular need than the ones that you do have!

And on top of it all, it is fun.

Charlotte

Link Posted 14/12/2011 - 11:54
I have LBA luckily I can't afford the modern lenses so I have a collection of older ones.

I don't like the pictures that my kit lens produces it's sharp enough but I don't like what it does with the colour green.

I have two macro lenses - do I need them both, yes. The vivitar 55mm has a most wonderful bokeh and is good for arty farty type photos. The Sigma 50mm I use for serious macro and it has a wonderful colour rendition.

My walkabout lens is a pentax F 35-70 (with macro ofcourse) nice small sharp lens.

Sigma 70-300 the only lens I've bought brand new a bit soft at full stretch but the macro capability is good.

Sigma 24mm ultra wide angle I got this cheap for landscapes but I haven't used it much.

Pentax M 200mm lovely lens - gives a nasty green silhouette to things when wide open though.

My latest acquisition is a Pentax 28 mm manual lens much better for landscapes that the sigma 24.

At the moment I like the buzz of getting a new lens and finding it's nuances - they all seem to have their own character. I'm waiting for a decent priced Pentax M 100mm f4 Macro to become available from somewhere, they've gone up in price dramatically recently. Or a Penatx 135 mm or even maybe a .....................

I really do have a problem is there a lba anonymous group.
Pentax Photo Gallery
Photography blog

Helpful

tyronet2000

Link Posted 14/12/2011 - 12:57
That is the sort of reply I was looking for Charlotte and of course I'd love to try/buy the various lenses and I keep a lookout for bargains, the appearance of which never coincides with having spare cash At the moment I think my next lens will be a 55-300mm but not sure why yet

I get the feeling the main group on here is the LBA Unanimous
Regards
Stan

PPG

Pentaxophile

Link Posted 14/12/2011 - 15:00
Recently I tend to mainly use my DA15 with the excellent F 35-70mm, sometimes with the M 75-150mm or K 135mm f2.5 for longer shots. The DA15 and F 35-70 make a great compact kit - the lens that's not on the camera can go in your pocket quite comfortably, but I tend to stow it in a compact camera bag. The DA15 takes great wide angle shots, particularly street scenes I'm finding... the FL is just conducive to it.

The F 35-70 does people, architectural details, landscapes, semi-macros... it really is versatile! And sharp.

The K 135mm is superb for isolating people in a crowd, and has very pleasing rendering. A bugger to focus wide open and has greenish fringing to bokeh, which I have learnt how to remove or otherwise tolerate it as part of the lens's character. The M 75-150 is obviously more versatile, and is great at any F stop or FL, but not quite a beautiful in the bokeh department (it's a stop slower).

I also have a DA35 f2.4 and F50 f1.7 which I use for portraits and people shots, especially indoors.

Currently on the reserve benches, I have a Tamron 17-50 - reliably sharp and fast zoom, Sigma 10-20 - for ultrawide urban shots and the odd landscape, a Sigma Ultrawide II 24mm prime - sharp, fast(ish) and good for semi macro shots and indoor shots, the Pentax F 70-210mm which is excellent but somehow not as interesting as my faster older lenses, and oh yes, the good old kit zoom, good for work shots when quality isn't paramount, or for when it's raining hard!

That's a lorra lorra lenses and some of them will surely be hitting the classifieds soon!
[link=https://500px.com/will_brealey/[/link]

Helpful

tyronet2000

Link Posted 14/12/2011 - 20:11
Thanks for the break down of lenses Will. Now I have a "Want's List" I'm beginning to wonder if I've made a mistake with this query. Nothing that a moderate Lottery win won't solve
The only one off your list I have is a 50mm F1.7 so the classified Ads will be more interesting now.
Regards
Stan

PPG

Pentaxophile

Link Posted 14/12/2011 - 20:19
Well if there's anything that you particularly want, feel free to make an offer! The trouble is I tend to favour lenses in cycles
[link=https://500px.com/will_brealey/[/link]

beginner

Link Posted 14/12/2011 - 21:16
I have found that you buy lenses to cover all the focal lengths,these are all you need in theory!....then you think I want to do things just that little bit better,hence the 31mm,77mm etc!

I just like buying good glass!
K20D...ist DS ,DA18/55,DA16/45.DA* 50/135,"A"1.7 50MM..."A" 70/210..M 50mm f2...Tamron 90mm macro,28/300 Tamron,200/500 Tamron 6.9....A Pentax DA*300... Sigma10/20,FA31mm 1.8 Ltd*********,FA 77mm Ltd!
Last Edited by beginner on 14/12/2011 - 21:17

tyronet2000

Link Posted 14/12/2011 - 21:28
beginner wrote:
I have found that you buy lenses to cover all the focal lengths,these are all you need in theory!....then you think I want to do things just that little bit better,hence the 31mm,77mm etc!

I just like buying good glass!

I find in theory, practice and theory are the same, but, in practice they are completely different
Regards
Stan

PPG

Stuey

Link Posted 14/12/2011 - 21:35
Hello

I have the following for the following reasons

18 - 55mm kit lens and Sigma 70-300 APO DG Macro - these were my starter kit and still get used particularly the kit len for indoor family shots using flash and the sigma for longer distance stuff or flexibility.

28mm Vivitar - because I fancied an mf 28mm - I use this a lot for landscape stuff

Sigma 50mm f2.8 ex dg macro - general walkabout and macro - it's for the when I am in a 50mm kind of a mood

Hoya 135mm f2.8 - not really used this much - will probably sell it not a bad lens just that I don't use 135mm much

Pentax 200mm f4 for shots when I reckon will will get within 5 to metres of wildlife

Tokina 300mm and NPs 400mm both m42 and both have minimum focus distances of 5.5m approx so these are used when I don't think that I will get within 5.5 metres of wildlfe and because the sigma 70-300 is soft after 200mm

Vivitar 28 to 90mm f2.8 Series 1 - latest lens - not used much yet as repair is required.

I also have a Practikar 50mm f1.8 - bought in error due to idiocy but I plan to change the mount and use it for narrow dof stuff

I really like the old mf lenses - must because I am a bit daft
K10D, K5 plus plenty of clueless enthusiasm.

My Flickr site link

Gwyn

Link Posted 14/12/2011 - 22:08
I don't have LBA.
I have a Pentax 17-70 F4, which pretty much lives on the camera and is wide enough for me, as I don't like uwa much. Together with my 60-250 F4 it makes a good travelling couple. And they share filters which is a plus.

I also have a Bigma - Sigma 50-500 for wildlife but also for landscapes and lot of other things. Sometimes that goes travelling too, depending on the destination.

My Tamron Macro is gathering dust, but I won't sell it.

The 18-135mm was bought as a travel lens, but I am still in two minds about it,and it will almost certainly go, but not on the forum - I can get more money for it here I think.

The 35mm I ordered from Amazon on the grounds that if I don't like it or don't use it I can sell it here at a profit. It strikes me as a good lens, and a good length and for that price it was too good to miss. We shall see.

I also have an 50mm 1.7 A - which doesn't get used very often, but I like too much to sell, and a Sigma 24-70 F2.8, which may go at some point.

I have owned but sold a Sigma 10-20mm which didn't suit me, and my 50-135mm because I didn't use it, and the money was useful.

My lenses cover everything I want to photograph, with some overlap and generally I am very happy with them. I shall probably thin the collection down in the new year though.

Algernon

Link Posted 15/12/2011 - 09:25
Stuey wrote:
Tokina 300mm and NPs 400mm both m42 and both have minimum focus distances of 5.5m approx so these are used when I don't think that I will get within 5.5 metres of wildlfe

The 400mm is probably a T-Mount and you can change if for a K version (T or T2) for about 5

You can get closer with a small extension tube.
Half Man... Half Pentax ... Half Cucumber

Pentax K-1 + K-5 and some other stuff

Algi

Stuey

Link Posted 15/12/2011 - 12:25
Algernon wrote:
Stuey wrote:
Tokina 300mm and NPs 400mm both m42 and both have minimum focus distances of 5.5m approx so these are used when I don't think that I will get within 5.5 metres of wildlfe

The 400mm is probably a T-Mount and you can change if for a K version (T or T2) for about 5

You can get closer with a small extension tube.

I hadn't thought of that - thanks
K10D, K5 plus plenty of clueless enthusiasm.

My Flickr site link
Add a Comment
You must be registered or logged-in to comment.