Smarties Pants

scotjames
Posted 14/02/2009 - 17:57 Link
I picked up a copy of Digital SLR Photography magazine this morning and over a coffee in Starbucks I was inspired by an article on taking indoor photos and "fun with refraction". I followed the article (almost to the letter) to reproduce these images. They're not a patch on the one in the magazine but I didn't imagine they would be! I'm fairly happy with how it turned out though for a first attempt.

The article said you need a 150mm Macro lens but I had to settle for my Tamron 70-300 on macro setting.

So, what is it?

Well, take one white cup or mug (he used a rolled up piece of white card in a tube shape) and pop some Smarties sweets in the bottom. Place the clear lid of a CD case on top and then spray liberally with water from a spray bottle. Then set up your camera on a tripod, pointing right down at the top of the cup and focus manually(the best you can) on the image of the sweets refracted inside the water droplets. Et voila!

(Bonus - you get to eat the props once you've finished!)

Comment Image

Comment Image
---
Visit me on Flickr
Prieni
Posted 14/02/2009 - 18:30 Link
What a great idea! They look brilliant and I bet they didn't taste bad either

Looks like you filled the second one higher. The white border on the drops of the first one looks quite cool but also pops up the question "what's causing that?". I definitely have to try this...

Prieni
How inappropriate to call this planet earth when it is quite clearly Ocean. - Arthur C. Clarke
Prieni's PPG page
ttk
Posted 14/02/2009 - 18:39 Link
Nice shots, going to try myself thanks for sharing.
Tel,
pschlute
Posted 14/02/2009 - 19:09 Link
I am very impressed, great idea.
RR
Posted 14/02/2009 - 19:17 Link
They look great. Not doing yourself justice by posting a small size either, lets see them bigger.

I look forward to seeing some variations on the theme too. Anyone have any allsorts or dolly mixtures handy ?
ttk
Posted 14/02/2009 - 19:25 Link
Size to 800pix on the longest side.
Tel,
scotjames
Posted 14/02/2009 - 19:58 Link
Thanks for the comments folks. Here they are a bit bigger....
Comment Image

Comment Image
---
Visit me on Flickr
Oggy
Posted 14/02/2009 - 20:52 Link
Excellent SJ.

Nice bear too
Comment Image
Cliff-P
Posted 14/02/2009 - 21:23 Link
Super work,well done
Cliff.




My Flickr link
Nikon D750, D7000 , Nikkor 80-400, 70-300 and 18-200 lenses
misiek_knm
Posted 15/02/2009 - 01:10 Link
One of these simple, wonderful ideas - great job! And thanks for sharing
Kind regards,
Michal R. Hoffmann
K20D, DA 16-45mm, A 50mm F/1:1.4, DA 55-300mm; flash Pentax AF240Z
comstadcity
Posted 15/02/2009 - 10:15 Link
These are great. Sometimes the simple ideas work best. I like the colours in the first one, would make a great poster for a kiddies bedroom.
Am now mainly a Canon FF user 5D mk ii, 5D mk iii, 6D but still have some Pentax gear, K7, IST DS, K10D Grand Prix, Metz 32 ct4, Pentax A 50mm 1.7, Pentax M 28mm 2.8, Pentax DA 50-200mm 4-5.6, Pentax DA 18-55mm 3.5-5.6,
GivingTree
Posted 15/02/2009 - 16:43 Link
comstadcity wrote:
would make a great poster for a kiddies bedroom.
My thoughts exactly!

These are super-fun, thanks for sharing the technique.
"Just put your eye to the camera and push the button-thingy."
Flickr page:
link
TGK
Posted 16/02/2009 - 01:09 Link
Some of the best shots I've seen on the forum. Well done! Gold star!
Tracey
K100D Super,DA 55-300.
CS3
Father Ted
Posted 16/02/2009 - 08:44 Link
I love these and it is something my daughter can have fun trying too!. We'll definitely give this a go; I just hope hers don't turn out better than mine
Getting there! Thanks to you guys

Pentax K3ii, Pentax K10d, Kit lens ( 18-55mm ), 50mm f1.7 lens, Tamron 70-300mm lens, Prinzflex 70-162 manual lens, Various old flashes.

Add Comment

To leave a comment - Log in to Pentax User or create a new account.



Proudly supporting Pentax User

Samsung Logo Asahi Pentax Logo