Slow AF?

K10D

Link Posted 14/02/2010 - 17:59
Hardgravity wrote:

Last time I stood next to a Canon user my K200d and Sigma 18-200 were focussing quicker than his White thing on his 450!

That would be seagull poop then, the white thing?

Regards

bretbysteve

Link Posted 14/02/2010 - 18:04
Hiya...

Look, just because you use Pentax gear does not mean you should put your head in the sand. I currently use a K20D, but I am under no illusions that the Canon & Nikon AF is quite a lot better. I used a 40D for a year and it was much better than the K20D for AF speed, especially in lower light.

This does not, as one user above says relate only to the high end Canons & Nikons, the D90, 50D etc are all very much in the same price ballpark as the K20D/K-7 and yet they are without doubt quite faster, both with AF and also processing speed.

I stick with Pentax for the digi prime lenses and the light weight & small size of the cameras, however if Nikon built a D300 quality camera the same size/weight as a K-7, I am afraid I would jump ship.

aminstar

Link Posted 14/02/2010 - 18:07
pink wrote:
is there any actual proof that one system is faster or is it all hearsay

James

Yes there is actual proof that one system is faster, definitely not all hearsay.

Mike-P wrote:

Whether Pentax are that far behind in the AF stakes is debatable but SDM certainly does not help the cause.

Exactly what I have been saying, fully agree with that comment Mike.

Anvh wrote:
the DA40 is a real speed demon, it can focus to close up to infinite and back in less then a second and it looks it's so because of the small focus throw.

Now this really nails the argument. If Pentax can make DA40 so fast at focusing why on earth wouldn't they make their newer and expensive SDM lenses fast also? This I fail to comprehend. In fact the sluggishness of the DA*60-250 was so annoying that I used to pull my hair everytime I tried to focus and now I have ended up with little hair. And if I had kept at it I would have lost the rest of it too.

Stephen, not sure how to compare the speed but I can reliably say that its lightning fast, and accurate. But hey, I am just a novice so what do I know? May be its just me that do not know how to focus properly and finding that the 7D AF is very fast might just be in my head and I am just imagining things.
Amin Photo Gallery
Last Edited by aminstar on 14/02/2010 - 18:07

aminstar

Link Posted 14/02/2010 - 18:14
Hardgravity wrote:

Last time I stood next to a Canon user my K200d and Sigma 18-200 were focussing quicker than his White thing on his 450!

Are you sure his white thing was a lens?

Hardgravity wrote:

Try comparing the K-x and standard lens with a EOS450 and standard lens then you see the difference.

I am no expert in the matter but I would have thought that SDM lenses are in the forefront of technology and one of the latest models so comparing it to some of those "white things" for example would be fair. Aren't some of those white things a few good years old? How old is the canon 70-200 IS f/4.0 for example? And in terms of price aren't they more or less similar along with a DA*60-250? So sticking one of these "white things" on an old canon model should then be similar to a K7 with an SDM lens then, isn't that right?

Let me reiterate, I am not bashing Pentax, just stating the facts.
Amin Photo Gallery

PeteL

Link Posted 14/02/2010 - 18:33
I find that on the odd occasion that i have used autofocus, I will generally have a DA* lens fitted to my K7 as they are faster, quieter and more accurate than the other Pentax autofocus lenses that i own. However i will only use autofocus if the point of focus has enough contrast, A plain area of even tone will send the autofocus loopy! also if the background is distracting then it is sometimes possible for the autofocus to pick up on that instead of the subject. My non DA* lenses are noisy, very hesitant and stuttery. I do not believe that the K7 body lags behind other makes but rather it is the lens line up that is in much need of an overhaul to bring Pentax into line with the competition in the autofocus stakes.

Regards - Pete

Hardgravity

Link Posted 14/02/2010 - 18:37
I know what you're saying Amin, The white thing coukd have been a 70-200, I didn't take much notice, The point was my Sigma, which is an old lens, was locking on quicker than the Cannons.

I know that the modern USM/SDM lenses are supposed to be better, I just can't afford one to try and having seen comments on here about speed/reliability I don't think I want one!

The only thing speed wise I wish Pentax would do is up their burst rate to something akin to the Canon/Nikon speeds.
Cheers, HG

K110+DA40, K200+DA35, K3 and a bag of lenses, bodies and other bits.

Mustn't forget the Zenits, or folders, or...

I've some gallerieshere CLICKY LINK! and my PPG entries.

K10D

Link Posted 14/02/2010 - 18:45
SDM, USM etc all rely on the AF engine and electronics in the body. I doubt we will see comparable speeds to other top cameras as long as this video lark is a marketing priority.

Regards

aminstar

Link Posted 14/02/2010 - 18:59
K10D wrote:
as long as this video lark is a marketing priority.

Regards

Hmm, I like the ability of having video on a DSLR, what's wrong with that? Although it might not put me off buying a good video camera but knowing that its there if I ever want to use it, which I eventually will its something great. Its like the cruise control in my car, don't use it often nor I will go out to buy a car with one but certainly is a plus point when making a decision to buy one.

Besides the argument still stands, if others can make a quicker AF why can't Pentax make it too?
Amin Photo Gallery

K10D

Link Posted 14/02/2010 - 19:08
Nothing wrong with video for those that will use it on a DSLRV. I won't and would rather have the money or circuitry it requires on other camera improvements. Its horses for courses. My K7 has not been set to video and I doubt it will be.

I have done video and used a Canon XL2. After all, it is a video camera.

Regards

beginner

Link Posted 14/02/2010 - 19:19
A man after my own heart!.....
K20D...ist DS ,DA18/55,DA16/45.DA* 50/135,"A"1.7 50MM..."A" 70/210..M 50mm f2...Tamron 90mm macro,28/300 Tamron,200/500 Tamron 6.9....A Pentax DA*300... Sigma10/20,FA31mm 1.8 Ltd*********,FA 77mm Ltd!

beginner

Link Posted 14/02/2010 - 19:21
And for the record, my 2 DA* lenses are far slower than my "ordinary" lenses!
K20D...ist DS ,DA18/55,DA16/45.DA* 50/135,"A"1.7 50MM..."A" 70/210..M 50mm f2...Tamron 90mm macro,28/300 Tamron,200/500 Tamron 6.9....A Pentax DA*300... Sigma10/20,FA31mm 1.8 Ltd*********,FA 77mm Ltd!
Last Edited by beginner on 14/02/2010 - 19:21

Anvh

Link Posted 14/02/2010 - 19:26
aminstar wrote:
Anvh wrote:
the DA40 is a real speed demon, it can focus to close up to infinite and back in less then a second and it looks it's so because of the small focus throw.

Now this really nails the argument. If Pentax can make DA40 so fast at focusing why on earth wouldn't they make their newer and expensive SDM lenses fast also? This I fail to comprehend. In fact the sluggishness of the DA*60-250 was so annoying that I used to pull my hair everytime I tried to focus and now I have ended up with little hair. And if I had kept at it I would have lost the rest of it too.

I think it's because the DA* lenses have a longer focus throw to make it more accurate, that's why I was interesting in how it was with the canon lenses.

btw all the DA limited lenses seem to focus very fast, don't know about the FA though.
Here is a little review about the DA40 and the DA70 where you cans ee the focus speed. link
Around the 3:00 mark for the DA40 and around the 6:00 for the DA70 they go from close to infinite I believe or vice versa
Glad to make a Canon user jealous

ps another film K7 vs 7D link
The K7 isn't doing it that bad right, I wonder if they could throw more power over the contacts to make the SDM move faster.
Stefan

K10D, K5
DA* 16-50, DA* 50-135, D-FA 100 Macro, DA 40 Ltd, DA 18-55
AF-540FGZ
Last Edited by Anvh on 14/02/2010 - 19:37

Darkmunk

Link Posted 14/02/2010 - 19:46
Quote:
another film K7 vs 7D

Is the Pentax just making a better job of it? It is taking 3 closer and closer attempts before registering focus. The 7D could just be going, 'ahh that'll do...beep'
Facebook Page
Plymouth Photographer

aminstar

Link Posted 14/02/2010 - 19:50
Anvh wrote:
I wonder if they could throw more power over the contacts to make the SDM move faster.

If they manage to make the SDM lenses faster there is certainly one person I know of who will seriously consider ditching all his Canon kit and jump back into Pentax . Specially because he bought his Canon gear at a discount and would be selling at a premium.

Oh and now that I have been told that Pentax also has multi coloured lenses (Thanks for the info Stephan) more of a reason to think about it.

So, Pentax, if you are reading this please think about making SDM lenses faster please
Amin Photo Gallery

Hardgravity

Link Posted 14/02/2010 - 19:56
Quote:
So, Pentax, if you are reading this please think about making SDM lenses faster please

I think that'll be seconded by all Pentax users.

We have excellent bodies and just need faster SDM lenses to go with them.

When they appear I may even buy one!
Cheers, HG

K110+DA40, K200+DA35, K3 and a bag of lenses, bodies and other bits.

Mustn't forget the Zenits, or folders, or...

I've some gallerieshere CLICKY LINK! and my PPG entries.
Last Edited by Hardgravity on 14/02/2010 - 19:57
Add a Comment
You must be registered or logged-in to comment.