Visit MPB Visit MPB Visit MPB

Skyline

mikew
Posted 29/05/2010 - 20:05 Link
Any C&C for me?

Comment Image

Mike
---------------------------------------------------

You can see some of my shots at my Flickr account.
Edited by mikew: 29/05/2010 - 20:05
snappychappy
Posted 29/05/2010 - 20:21 Link
I like the lines and textures here, the colour of the sky is nice. I would personally straighten up the vertical of the glass so it runs down the centre of the shot.
mattcambs
Posted 29/05/2010 - 21:27 Link
Too much empty space at the top. Cloud top right is distracting. Subject isn't very interesting. Sorry, in a brutal mood!
Matt

GX20; DA 17-70 F4; 18-55 kit; Ricoh 50mm F2; Vivitar 75-205mm F3.8
Aiki
Posted 29/05/2010 - 22:25 Link
mattcambs wrote:
Too much empty space at the top. Cloud top right is distracting. Subject isn't very interesting. Sorry, in a brutal mood!

Honest comment
Quite agree Too much of sky for sure.
Aiki

----
Pentax K20D; SMC DA 18-55mm II kit; Sigma AF 70-300/4-5.6 APO DG MACRO
GIMP Flickr
PPG
fatspider
Posted 29/05/2010 - 22:32 Link
Hasn't worked

The pic is in the bottom half of the frame in the green and stone coloured thingymajigs.

And even if it had worked there would be far too much sky Best suggestion I can offer is to crop down to the top right corner of the green area and also crop off the black area on the left.
My Names Alan, and I'm a lensaholic.
My PPG link
My Flckr link
mikew
Posted 30/05/2010 - 07:37 Link
Well that's interesting. I think without the fluffy cloud just peeping in the image is nothing. The big expanse of blue to my mind acts as a contrast to the lines and stuff at the bottom. What I don't like are the reflections in the glass but there was nothing I could do about them.

Furthermore, at the time and now I couldn't see any way to make the buildings alone work due to the way they triangulated (for want of a better word).

This is one of the benefits of the forum - honest criticism.

Mike

Mannesty
Posted 30/05/2010 - 08:00 Link
mikew wrote:
What I don't like are the reflections in the glass but there was nothing I could do about them.

Did you not have a polarizer with you?

I agree with the 'too much sky' comments but then I'm not a big fan of these 'try and make something out of nothing' images I'm afraid.

I could perhaps see it being used for advertising, but I wouldn't hang it on my wall.
Peter E Smith - flickr Photostream
mikew
Posted 30/05/2010 - 08:11 Link
I have too many different filter sizes to have polarisers for them all and when I have tried a CP I found it to be of ambiguous benefit but to be fair it was a cheap filter.

I'm not sure what you mean 'something out of nothing' - there is a plethora of shapes and colours in there. It's my failing that I didn't manage to capture them in the right way.

If you really want to see something from nothing look up yellowgreywolf on Flickr there's a woman who can do magic.

Mike

thoughton
Posted 01/06/2010 - 20:45 Link
Missed this earlier Mike

Nice colours and sharpness. Not so keen on the composition though, too much sky for me as well. I'd crop off the top until it's square. If you take a little off the bottom as well you should be able to keep that fluffy cloud in frame (although I'm not convinced it adds anything).

The subject matter is not quite there either, it's just ... well ... a bit boring I don't think there are enough contrasting shapes. Also it all seems a bit tilted, is that brickwork supposed to be leaning over?
Tim
AF - Pentax K5, Sigma 10-20/4-5.6, Tamron 17-50/2.8, Sigma 30/1.4, Sigma 70-200/2.8, Tamron 70-300/4-5.6
MF - Vivitar CF 28/2.8, Tamron AD2 90/2.5, MTO 1000/11
Stuff - Metz 58 AF1, Cactus v4, Nikon SB24, Raynox 150, Sigma 1.4x TC, Sigma 2x TC, Kenko 2x macro TC, Redsnapper 283 tripod, iMac 27”, Macbook Pro 17”, iPad, iPhone 3G
FlickrFluidrPPGStreetPortfolio site
Feel free to edit any of my posted photos! If I post a photo for critique, I want brutal honesty. If you don't like it, please say so and tell me why!
mikew
Posted 01/06/2010 - 21:34 Link
Well it's clear I need to adjust something in this shot and a reshoot is unlikely as I doubt I'll return to Wolverhampton any time soon.

Thanks all, I shall take the advice on board.

Mike

Add Comment

To leave a comment - Log in to Pentax User or create a new account.