Simple modification to an old Vivitar 3X Teleconverter.

loadoftripe

Link Posted 16/07/2022 - 13:36
I had one on the shelf doing nothing so easily removed the lens/inner tube assembly using a lens ring removal tool, leaving an extension tube! A bit of experimenting using it on the DFA 100 macro, I know I lose the aperture control so the depth of field is even worse for macro, but as an experiment for now.
The OOF is really failing with the tube on but you are getting very close and leaves plenty of room for cropping if required. I will try a lens with a focus ring next and see if it's any better.
All hand held.

1. The Vivitar 3X TC

2. The K1 and DFA 100 macro and the 'tube' fitted.

3. First without the tube at max lens extension, i.e. closest. (all Hand Held).

4. With the 'tube' on. I'm at an angle to the flower so the OOF is showing more at the rear of the center.

5. This fella turned up.

Urbanmeister

Link Posted 16/07/2022 - 13:37
Fascinating, absolutely fascinating.
Be well, stay safe.

loadoftripe

Link Posted 16/07/2022 - 16:09
Urbanmeister wrote:
Fascinating, absolutely fascinating.

Thanks.
I have tried again with the "tube" using a 135mm f3.5 SMC M lens, whacked the f stop to f32 and 1/500th sec, not as sharp, handheld again. I don't know what the DFA 100 Macro f2.8 WR defaults to with regard no aperture control? will have to check laters.

Lubbyman

Link Posted 16/07/2022 - 19:31
A good example of putting an old, no longer used item into service again - photographic upcycling at its best!

There's nothing wrong with macros and close-ups with a tube on a wide open lens (as the 100mm macro must surely have been with such a shallow DOF). I'm partial to a bit of it myself, as it happens. You've just got to pick the right subject and think creatively and artistically. Try focussing on different bits of a flower, see what happens. Getting the tips of a ring of stamens in focus with the rest of the flower out of focus can be quite striking.

loadoftripe wrote:
I have tried again with the "tube" using a 135mm f3.5 SMC M lens, whacked the f stop to f32 and 1/500th sec, not as sharp...

By f32 diffraction will have set in, softening the image. Laws of physics, can't avoid 'em. Beyond about f11, it's a trade-off between depth of field and slight softness. Actually, I rather like the slightly soft feel of the picture, it seems to suit the flower.

Steve

Steve

Urbanmeister

Link Posted 16/07/2022 - 19:40
The 'softness' that Steve writes about appeals to me as well. It really does suit the flower. Like this so much. It's a very gentle image if you see what I mean.
Be well, stay safe.
Add a Comment
You must be registered or logged-in to comment.