Silkypix book
Posted 29/03/2008 - 12:09
Link
Despite only being intended as an "Introduction" to Silkypix, it is of some use to advanced users as well.
I've not read the whole thing yet, but already I've found enough little tips to justify my £2.50.
Hopefully the author will provide an Advanced manual too.
I've not read the whole thing yet, but already I've found enough little tips to justify my £2.50.
Hopefully the author will provide an Advanced manual too.
~Pete
Posted 29/03/2008 - 12:49
Link
An error:
The book says the Demosaic Sharp slider does not affect output quality. That is incorrect. It affects output as well as preview quality.
The effect is subtle, but is clearly visible when comparing 100% crops with Demosaic Sharp at 0 versus 100%.
The book says the Demosaic Sharp slider does not affect output quality. That is incorrect. It affects output as well as preview quality.
The effect is subtle, but is clearly visible when comparing 100% crops with Demosaic Sharp at 0 versus 100%.
~Pete
Posted 29/03/2008 - 12:50
Link
Thanks for that George, I will download it.
I hope you feel better after your visit to Depressingreview
I hope you feel better after your visit to Depressingreview
Camera:|K-7|
Pentax Lenses:|DA12-24/f4 ED AL|DA35Ltd Macro|FA31Ltd|FA77Ltd|FA50/1.4|F70-210|FA20-35 f4/AL|A*200/f4 Macro ED|A50/1.7|A50 Macro f2.8|1.7xAF adapter|
Voigtlander|125/f2.5SL Macro APO Lanthar|
Sigma Lenses:|EX DG 100-300 f4|2X & 1.4X TC|
Flashes:|AF540FGZx2|RingFlash AF160FC|
Pentax Lenses:|DA12-24/f4 ED AL|DA35Ltd Macro|FA31Ltd|FA77Ltd|FA50/1.4|F70-210|FA20-35 f4/AL|A*200/f4 Macro ED|A50/1.7|A50 Macro f2.8|1.7xAF adapter|
Voigtlander|125/f2.5SL Macro APO Lanthar|
Sigma Lenses:|EX DG 100-300 f4|2X & 1.4X TC|
Flashes:|AF540FGZx2|RingFlash AF160FC|
Posted 29/03/2008 - 16:09
Link
I've had a punt too. The odd thing is that, on his home page, he says: "Best viewed at 1024x768 using Firefox," but I could only download the "Tastes Combo" files using IE!
Ray.
Ray.
Z1, K10D, D-BG2 Grip, DA 1:3.5-5.6 18-55mm AL, DA 1:3.5-6.3 18-250mm ED AL(IF), AF540FGZ Flash, FA 1:1.7 50mm, DA 1:2.4 70mm Limited, Wireless Remote (Did I offend you? Click here).
Posted 29/03/2008 - 18:15
Link
Quote:
An error:
The book says the Demosaic Sharp slider does not affect output quality. That is incorrect. It affects output as well as preview quality.
The effect is subtle, but is clearly visible when comparing 100% crops with Demosaic Sharp at 0 versus 100%.
How strange. What is the point of any control if it doesn't affect the output?An error:
The book says the Demosaic Sharp slider does not affect output quality. That is incorrect. It affects output as well as preview quality.
The effect is subtle, but is clearly visible when comparing 100% crops with Demosaic Sharp at 0 versus 100%.
G
Keywords: Charming, polite, and generally agreeable.
Posted 29/03/2008 - 18:32
Link
Quote:
It also affects the speed of the preview on the screen while you work on the image.
iceblinker wrote:
The book says the Demosaic Sharp slider does not affect output quality. That is incorrect. It affects output as well as preview quality.
The effect is subtle, but is clearly visible when comparing 100% crops with Demosaic Sharp at 0 versus 100%.
How strange. What is the point of any control if it doesn't affect the output?The book says the Demosaic Sharp slider does not affect output quality. That is incorrect. It affects output as well as preview quality.
The effect is subtle, but is clearly visible when comparing 100% crops with Demosaic Sharp at 0 versus 100%.
~Pete
Posted 29/03/2008 - 18:44
Link
.....and also the speed of development. The speed factor isn't important if your computer is reasonably fast and modern, though.
Increasing Demosaic Sharp can make noise look worse, but with a low-noise image, I think there's usually no harm in whacking it up from the default 80% to 90 or even 100% if you want high sharpness.
Increasing Demosaic Sharp can make noise look worse, but with a low-noise image, I think there's usually no harm in whacking it up from the default 80% to 90 or even 100% if you want high sharpness.
~Pete
Posted 16/04/2008 - 11:43
Link
Quote:
Thanks for finding the error guys.
My eBook has since been amended to reflect the demosaic error.
Thanks Jalex your book is very helpful
Thanks for finding the error guys.
My eBook has since been amended to reflect the demosaic error.
Camera:|K-7|
Pentax Lenses:|DA12-24/f4 ED AL|DA35Ltd Macro|FA31Ltd|FA77Ltd|FA50/1.4|F70-210|FA20-35 f4/AL|A*200/f4 Macro ED|A50/1.7|A50 Macro f2.8|1.7xAF adapter|
Voigtlander|125/f2.5SL Macro APO Lanthar|
Sigma Lenses:|EX DG 100-300 f4|2X & 1.4X TC|
Flashes:|AF540FGZx2|RingFlash AF160FC|
Pentax Lenses:|DA12-24/f4 ED AL|DA35Ltd Macro|FA31Ltd|FA77Ltd|FA50/1.4|F70-210|FA20-35 f4/AL|A*200/f4 Macro ED|A50/1.7|A50 Macro f2.8|1.7xAF adapter|
Voigtlander|125/f2.5SL Macro APO Lanthar|
Sigma Lenses:|EX DG 100-300 f4|2X & 1.4X TC|
Flashes:|AF540FGZx2|RingFlash AF160FC|
Posted 16/04/2008 - 12:34
Link
jalex
Any chance you can link to the amended page so I can print it out ?
Peter
Any chance you can link to the amended page so I can print it out ?
Peter
Peter
My Flickr page
My Flickr page
Add Comment
To leave a comment - Log in to Pentax User or create a new account.


8192 posts
22 years
London
I woke up this morning feeling too happy, so I took a dose of the standard antidote - Depressingreview.
Wonder of wonders, I found something useful. A chap called John Nevill has written a book about Silkypix. I haven't read it yet (I'm hoping somebody has, and can advise for or against), but it can't be worse than the manual.
Here's the link:
http://www.eos-images.com/silkypix-resources/ebook-an-introduction-to-silkypix/
G