SilkyPix in WINE

Mongoose

Link Posted 02/04/2008 - 21:18
I've just downloaded the freebe version of Silkypix and it installs and runs happily under Wine on Ubuntu 7.10 (the default WINE from the repositories, not sure of the version).

So far all I've done is install it and process one photo on mostly automatic, but it seems very happy. Will play more and report back.
you don't have to be mad to post here

but it does help

Malo1961

Link Posted 03/04/2008 - 18:23
How about speed? Running apps under virtual machines (with linux as Os)
always seem to be very slow. I am very interested in your findings.
Martin.
Best regards,

Martin.

Curious about my photography?? Just Follow the Light.

MattMatic

Link Posted 03/04/2008 - 18:57
WINE is not a virtual machine

WINE is a "glue" between the Windows API calls and Linux and will provide the fastest running Windows code under Linux.
If the application is badly written, or uses some special API calls, then it won't run under WINE... but will run slower under a VM (like VirtualBox, which is free).

Interested to hear how it runs... I may even have a go myself under RedHat

Matt
http://www.mattmatic.co.uk
(For gallery, tips and links)

Mongoose

Link Posted 04/04/2008 - 08:15
I haven't had a real chance to play yet, the conversion seems to be correct and speed is comparable to UFRAW if not a bit faster. Not sure if it's as quick as it would be in Windoze because I am MS free, but my experience in the past has been that programs which run at all under WINE run as near as makes no odds at full speed.

It seems to have some issues with the filesystem, presumably because it isn't layed out as the program expects. Hopefully will have a chance to play properly over the weekend and then report back.

but it does help

Mongoose

Link Posted 13/04/2008 - 23:46
This weekend I updated to the latest version of WINE and Silkypix works better than ever! I went for a walk this afternoon with our local wildlife trust and processed all the photos I took though Silky under Linux. The program is a joy to use, and seems to be very happy to work under WINE in Ubuntu 7.10

I'm seriously considering buying a full licence.

but it does help

George Lazarette

Link Posted 14/04/2008 - 01:12
How does this work? Do you install SP on a Linux box using Wine? Doe SP think it is in Windows?

In other words, can I put it on my Eee PC?

G
Keywords: Charming, polite, and generally agreeable.

Mongoose

Link Posted 14/04/2008 - 09:51
I haven't tried it on my Eee, and in any case I'm now running Puppeee linux on it rather than the standard Xandros distro, but on my Ubuntu powered main laptop it couldn't be simpler. Heres how it works:

Just install the latest version of WINE (stands for Wine Is Not an Emulator).

Download the silkypix installer, right click on it and select "open with > Wine Windows Emulator" (I bet that menu item has the guys at WineHQ annoyed)

The installer should run as normal, WINE creates a sub directory under your Home directory which it then presents to running applications as "C:".

On Ubuntu you get a submenu under the main menu called "Wine", with a "programs" section underneath so you can run your installed programs easily.

It seems WINE has come a long way in recent years, so far I've got 3 of the 4 programs I've tried to install under it working and the one which didn't work was the notoriously Linux Hostile AutoCAD 2006.

The only thing in Silky which doesn't work quite properly is maximising the window, although you can resize it by grabbing the corner and pulling so it's not too much of a problem. It even presents /home/username on your Linux filesystem as "My-Documents" to the windows programs so you can find whatever you need to work on.

but it does help

Mongoose

Link Posted 14/04/2008 - 23:12
well, considering that the Eee is borderline on the minimum specs, it runs pretty well. You can't see all the controls is the only thing, because the screen is too small. Silky is designed for 1024x768 and Eee only has 800x480

does anyone know what the license conditions are on Silky? ie if I wanted to run it on my main lappy and my Eee would I technically need two licenses? I can't find any reference to it on the website.

but it does help

George Lazarette

Link Posted 15/04/2008 - 18:46
Mongoose wrote:
well, considering that the Eee is borderline on the minimum specs, it runs pretty well. You can't see all the controls is the only thing, because the screen is too small. Silky is designed for 1024x768 and Eee only has 800x480

does anyone know what the license conditions are on Silky? ie if I wanted to run it on my main lappy and my Eee would I technically need two licenses? I can't find any reference to it on the website.

You need two, legally, though the second comes at a discount. I have two, one for laptop and one for desktop, and was expecting a problem when I bought a new computer. However, it installed without a hitch.

G

George Lazarette

Link Posted 15/04/2008 - 18:47
And thanks, Mongoose, for the Eee info.

G

Mongoose

Link Posted 16/04/2008 - 10:19
George Lazarette wrote:
And thanks, Mongoose, for the Eee info.

G

turn about is fair play, thanks for the licensing info. I havn't yet decided if Silky is enough of an improvement over UFRAW to be worth the money, though I do really like the workflow.

but it does help
Add a Comment
You must be registered or logged-in to comment.