Shoulder Straps
Posted 15/03/2011 - 18:10
Link
K10D wrote:
One thing I have noticed though, since getting and using the Sun Sniper, I have managed to cross the bunting twice into restricted areas at shows. Just stepped over and started shooting. Officials seem to think that because you look like a pro carrying three cameras and waring a harness, you must be.
Hiw do you like the sunsniper, the shop here has them too but ain't sure about them... the luma looks better to me but are also more expensive and so is blackrapid...
One thing I have noticed though, since getting and using the Sun Sniper, I have managed to cross the bunting twice into restricted areas at shows. Just stepped over and started shooting. Officials seem to think that because you look like a pro carrying three cameras and waring a harness, you must be.
Posted 15/03/2011 - 18:48
Link
The JJC one is OK if you don't mind your camera being off centre on your tripod. The tripod screw on it's baseplate is quite a bit off to one side. I'd have to use a long QR plate to centre the camera again and I'm not sure that is possible. Still it looks good for the price. I'll be interested to hear what you think of it Karma.
A couple of the Germans on the boat with me were using the sun-sniper. It seemed to be good, and very useful when wrapped up in several layers of clothing as it didn't tangle in things like scarves, but as I say in several head to head tests the BR comes out on top. That might be due to American Chauvinism of course.
A couple of the Germans on the boat with me were using the sun-sniper. It seemed to be good, and very useful when wrapped up in several layers of clothing as it didn't tangle in things like scarves, but as I say in several head to head tests the BR comes out on top. That might be due to American Chauvinism of course.
Posted 15/03/2011 - 19:41
Link
I'll see how I get on - one tripod has got a slot and knurled knob while the lightweight one has got a quick release plate.
Incidentally, the JJC NS-J1 I've ordered appears to be even cheaper (just 9 quid) on Amazon here.
There appears to be a NS-J2 with a different metal attachment plate around as well.
Incidentally, the JJC NS-J1 I've ordered appears to be even cheaper (just 9 quid) on Amazon here.
There appears to be a NS-J2 with a different metal attachment plate around as well.
Posted 16/03/2011 - 10:13
Link
The JJC has arrived - ordered late at night on the 14th - not bad for standard delivery.
The attachment plate has the tripod mount concentric with the attachment knob, so no offset there. However, this made me realise that the tripod bush on the grip is nowhere near the original one on the body... Without the grip the tripod point would be exactly where it is supposed to be using the supplied plate. The plate is slotted so the position can be changed with a range of about 20mm, this does alter the balance.
I did try it without the grip, but the camera didn't hang very well with the rather lumpy Sigma 10-20mm - with the grip it settles into a much more stable and handy position.
This one doesn't have any brand cachet, but seems well-made. Might be a good cheap basis for some extra DIY mods. I'd recommend this one, especially at the 9 quid price I linked above!
The attachment plate has the tripod mount concentric with the attachment knob, so no offset there. However, this made me realise that the tripod bush on the grip is nowhere near the original one on the body... Without the grip the tripod point would be exactly where it is supposed to be using the supplied plate. The plate is slotted so the position can be changed with a range of about 20mm, this does alter the balance.
I did try it without the grip, but the camera didn't hang very well with the rather lumpy Sigma 10-20mm - with the grip it settles into a much more stable and handy position.
This one doesn't have any brand cachet, but seems well-made. Might be a good cheap basis for some extra DIY mods. I'd recommend this one, especially at the 9 quid price I linked above!
Posted 16/03/2011 - 12:02
Link
Some pics of the JJC NS-J1:
The plate is ABS and the clip seems strong with a very positive spring

By altering the position of the plate you can get the camera to hang the way you want - just reaching back slightly puts your hand in exactly the right place for a 'quick draw'. Here I've changed it so that the point of attachment is above the centre of mass and slightly forward, this keeps the back of the camera flatter against the torso.

The plate is ABS and the clip seems strong with a very positive spring

By altering the position of the plate you can get the camera to hang the way you want - just reaching back slightly puts your hand in exactly the right place for a 'quick draw'. Here I've changed it so that the point of attachment is above the centre of mass and slightly forward, this keeps the back of the camera flatter against the torso.

Posted 16/03/2011 - 12:06
Link
Thanks for the photos Karma. It doesn't look like my QR plate would fit on it sadly, but for anyone who doesn't use a QR plate it certainly looks like a good option, especially at that price!
Looks like I'll be sticking with what I have.
Looks like I'll be sticking with what I have.
Posted 16/03/2011 - 12:37
Link
It looks OK for light kit but I would not be hanging heavier kit from an ABS plastic bar. Had the plastic plate been metal, then a good option.
Best regards
afterthought...
Gwyn,
If you could have the female part of the QR plate on the end of a sun sniper or similar, then your QR plate could stay on the camera base. Maybe a local machine shop or model engineer could help you out on that?
It's some thing to consider and the sort of thing I could do if in the UK.
Best regards
Best regards
afterthought...
Gwyn,
If you could have the female part of the QR plate on the end of a sun sniper or similar, then your QR plate could stay on the camera base. Maybe a local machine shop or model engineer could help you out on that?
It's some thing to consider and the sort of thing I could do if in the UK.
Best regards
Too far from a shore.
Posted 16/03/2011 - 13:00
Link
K10D wrote:
It looks OK for light kit but I would not be hanging heavier kit from an ABS plastic bar. Had the plastic plate been metal, then a good option.
I understand the concern. I did try pulling the plate and strap apart pretty hard to see how much it flexed (before fitting it to the camera). I wouldn't be at all surprised if it supported 20 or 30 kilos.It looks OK for light kit but I would not be hanging heavier kit from an ABS plastic bar. Had the plastic plate been metal, then a good option.
The NS-J2 version has a longer metal plate, although I don't know if it is available yet: http://www.jjc.cc/products_info.asp?id=671&cid=0&pid=0&s_series=all
Posted 16/03/2011 - 16:47
Link
Very interesting thread. I have two that I use that look like Chinese copies of the BR double harness (K7 & 50-150 plus K5 & DA*300) and single sling (any camera /lense combination). They are superb and I use them all the time now.
However as far as security goes, although I am constantly attempting to tighten the screw adapter throughout the day - it's never actually needed tightening ! Even so I have a very cheap (if rather inelegant) redundancy solution .... I tie one end of shortened shoelaces to the camera strap D rings then tie a slip knot on the other end and loop it onto the harness / sling clip. If for any reason the screw adapter should work loose and come out my camera and lense will not fall to the ground and it will enable me to secure it before anything dramatic happens.
I would add that I can add my monopod to the screw adapter (and actually walk around with it attached to the *300) but unfortunately although I've tried a QR plate it doesn't work.
If I hear of anything rather more elegant I'll let you know ... I'm sure you can all think of something that would also work.
However as far as security goes, although I am constantly attempting to tighten the screw adapter throughout the day - it's never actually needed tightening ! Even so I have a very cheap (if rather inelegant) redundancy solution .... I tie one end of shortened shoelaces to the camera strap D rings then tie a slip knot on the other end and loop it onto the harness / sling clip. If for any reason the screw adapter should work loose and come out my camera and lense will not fall to the ground and it will enable me to secure it before anything dramatic happens.
I would add that I can add my monopod to the screw adapter (and actually walk around with it attached to the *300) but unfortunately although I've tried a QR plate it doesn't work.
If I hear of anything rather more elegant I'll let you know ... I'm sure you can all think of something that would also work.
http://frogfish.smugmug.com/ Pentax. Pentax DA*300/4, Cosina 55/1.2, Lens Baby Composer Pro & Edge 80, AFA x1.7, Metz 50 af1.
Nikon. D800. D600. Sigma 500/4.5, Nikon 300/2.8 VRII, Sigma 120-300/2.8, Zeiss Distagon ZF2 21/2.8, Zeiss Distagon ZF2 35/2.0, Sigma 50/1.4, Nikkor 85/1.8, Nikon TC20EIII, Nikon TC14EII, Kenko x1.4, Sigma 2.0
Nikon. D800. D600. Sigma 500/4.5, Nikon 300/2.8 VRII, Sigma 120-300/2.8, Zeiss Distagon ZF2 21/2.8, Zeiss Distagon ZF2 35/2.0, Sigma 50/1.4, Nikkor 85/1.8, Nikon TC20EIII, Nikon TC14EII, Kenko x1.4, Sigma 2.0
Posted 16/03/2011 - 17:07
Link
Hi - I like to walk along with my camera in my hand, ready to take a phtograph, but I worry that it can be knocked out of my hand in a crowd. So I end up with the supplied Pentax strap wrapped around my wrist as best I can, but it doesnt work very well, and frequently unravels and gets in the way, and can end up being more of a hazard. Are there any short straps available that loop around the wrist and secure the camera, without flapping around and looking ridiculous? I am looking at making one myself but saw this thread and thought I would pick some brains.
Graham
Graham
Posted 16/03/2011 - 17:10
Link
Gwyn wrote:
It is narrow, short and downright uncomfortable after a very short period of time. They used to supply a better strap which was slightly more comfortable to use, and had a couple of storage pockets too, but the ones they now supply are just nasty imho.
Well, considering my previous experience was their straps from the 1980s with the ME Super and Super A I think the current strap is a big improvement. I'm growing to like my wife's Pentax sport strap or whaever it is called.
walkeja wrote:
What's wrong with the strap Pentax provide? I've never had any problems.
Everything.What's wrong with the strap Pentax provide? I've never had any problems.
It is narrow, short and downright uncomfortable after a very short period of time. They used to supply a better strap which was slightly more comfortable to use, and had a couple of storage pockets too, but the ones they now supply are just nasty imho.
Posted 16/03/2011 - 18:13
Link
Do you mean this Dan? That is not the standard strap.
The Pentax neoprene strap may be more comfortable than the standard one.
The strap supplied with Pentax cameras is not as good as the one I got with my Ds, which was quite long and had two handy pockets for the remote and an SD card. I used it on my Ds and the K20D as well, but then I decided an OpTech was just more comfortable. Plus I like the anonymity of it.
I suspect a good shoulder strap is even more comfortable.
The Pentax neoprene strap may be more comfortable than the standard one.
The strap supplied with Pentax cameras is not as good as the one I got with my Ds, which was quite long and had two handy pockets for the remote and an SD card. I used it on my Ds and the K20D as well, but then I decided an OpTech was just more comfortable. Plus I like the anonymity of it.
I suspect a good shoulder strap is even more comfortable.
Posted 16/03/2011 - 18:14
Link
I can see an 'Opteka Professional Wrist Grip Strap' on Amazon for £7.95 - asnyone know if this is worth it?
Posted 16/03/2011 - 18:21
Link
Grayboy wrote:
I can see an 'Opteka Professional Wrist Grip Strap' on Amazon for £7.95 - asnyone know if this is worth it?
I have something very similar and I swear by it. Makes it much more relaxing to hold the camera in one hand with your hand dangling by your waist. Because of the strap across the back of your hand you just need a tiny bit of pressure from your fingertips to stop it sliding off your hand. Apart from the finger pressure you can completely relax your hand. I can see an 'Opteka Professional Wrist Grip Strap' on Amazon for £7.95 - asnyone know if this is worth it?
The padded part that goes over the back of your hand started falling apart on mine after a couple of years. I've now completely removed the padding so it's just a naked strap and I like it even more (takes up less space in the bag, and it is less obtrusive when you're wearing it.
Tim
AF - Pentax K5, Sigma 10-20/4-5.6, Tamron 17-50/2.8, Sigma 30/1.4, Sigma 70-200/2.8, Tamron 70-300/4-5.6
MF - Vivitar CF 28/2.8, Tamron AD2 90/2.5, MTO 1000/11
Stuff - Metz 58 AF1, Cactus v4, Nikon SB24, Raynox 150, Sigma 1.4x TC, Sigma 2x TC, Kenko 2x macro TC, Redsnapper 283 tripod, iMac 27”, Macbook Pro 17”, iPad, iPhone 3G
Flickr • Fluidr • PPG • Street • Portfolio site
Feel free to edit any of my posted photos! If I post a photo for critique, I want brutal honesty. If you don't like it, please say so and tell me why!
AF - Pentax K5, Sigma 10-20/4-5.6, Tamron 17-50/2.8, Sigma 30/1.4, Sigma 70-200/2.8, Tamron 70-300/4-5.6
MF - Vivitar CF 28/2.8, Tamron AD2 90/2.5, MTO 1000/11
Stuff - Metz 58 AF1, Cactus v4, Nikon SB24, Raynox 150, Sigma 1.4x TC, Sigma 2x TC, Kenko 2x macro TC, Redsnapper 283 tripod, iMac 27”, Macbook Pro 17”, iPad, iPhone 3G
Flickr • Fluidr • PPG • Street • Portfolio site
Feel free to edit any of my posted photos! If I post a photo for critique, I want brutal honesty. If you don't like it, please say so and tell me why!
Add Comment
To leave a comment - Log in to Pentax User or create a new account.



10344 posts
20 years
The Netherlands
It may be better for me, at least until I can get a BlackRapid with QR plate.
Still no response to my e-mail from Sun-sniper .