Shake Reduction Button

kingalew
Posted 09/10/2013 - 22:45 Link
Hiya,

I'm proudly using a hand-me down K20d from my old man, a Pentax enthusiast. When he gave it to me he had managed to knock off the Shake Reduction button located on the back, bottom right. Does anyone have any idea either a) where I can get a replacement button from, or b) if there is a way to set the SR to off/on in the camera's settings. I've trawled the web and couldn't find help on either of these. It's currently set to off however as my photography mixes between street and landscape I could probably do with being able to switch.

Thanks,

Lewis.
www.flickr.com/photos/kingalew/
Current - K3, Sigma 10-20mm, Tamron 70-300mm, Pentax DA 35mm f2.4, Pentax DA 18-55mm WR, Pentax DA 50-200mm WR, Pentax Da 50mm f1.8, Sigma manual 28mm, Pentax Ltd 40mm f2.8, Sigma 70mm f2.8 Macro.
johnriley
Posted 09/10/2013 - 23:19 - Helpful Comment Link
There's no option in the camera menus, so the switch needs repairing.

The 2 second self timer deactivates SR, so some rudimentary control can be exercised in limited circumstances, assuming the SR is currently on. You can see whether or not it is on at the moment by the symbols in the viewfinder.

If it's permanently off, then the camera is fully usable but without SR.
Best regards, John
kingalew
Posted 09/10/2013 - 23:28 Link
Evening John and big thanks for getting back to me so quickly! After a quick play about, it seems it's switched off permanently. Is there anywhere I can take this in to or will it need to be sent off to a Pentax repairer? I'm loathe to send it anywhere tbh and would probs just put up with it if this is the case. Should also point out that my Dad managed to lose the button when he knocked it off...
www.flickr.com/photos/kingalew/
Current - K3, Sigma 10-20mm, Tamron 70-300mm, Pentax DA 35mm f2.4, Pentax DA 18-55mm WR, Pentax DA 50-200mm WR, Pentax Da 50mm f1.8, Sigma manual 28mm, Pentax Ltd 40mm f2.8, Sigma 70mm f2.8 Macro.
bforbes
Posted 09/10/2013 - 23:39 - Helpful Comment Link
Some idea of your current location might help people to put you in touch with a local repair shop
kingalew
Posted 09/10/2013 - 23:39 Link
Thank Barrie, early days on here. I'm in Woodford Green, Essex but work in London.
www.flickr.com/photos/kingalew/
Current - K3, Sigma 10-20mm, Tamron 70-300mm, Pentax DA 35mm f2.4, Pentax DA 18-55mm WR, Pentax DA 50-200mm WR, Pentax Da 50mm f1.8, Sigma manual 28mm, Pentax Ltd 40mm f2.8, Sigma 70mm f2.8 Macro.
Edited by kingalew: 09/10/2013 - 23:40
johnriley
Posted 09/10/2013 - 23:43 - Helpful Comment Link
JPS are the official Pentax repair house so why not have a chat with them about cost? Their details are on the Pentax UK website.

If you join Pentax User Plus you'll get 20% discount from JPS on servicing. It could be worth the £9.95 subscription.
Best regards, John
kingalew
Posted 09/10/2013 - 23:46 Link
Hi John,

Beat you to it and actually just paid for the membership before I read your message. Thanks for the advice and I'll get in touch with JPS. Great start to my experience on here!

Lew.
www.flickr.com/photos/kingalew/
Current - K3, Sigma 10-20mm, Tamron 70-300mm, Pentax DA 35mm f2.4, Pentax DA 18-55mm WR, Pentax DA 50-200mm WR, Pentax Da 50mm f1.8, Sigma manual 28mm, Pentax Ltd 40mm f2.8, Sigma 70mm f2.8 Macro.
Edited by kingalew: 09/10/2013 - 23:51
bforbes
Posted 09/10/2013 - 23:49 - Helpful Comment Link
And I've had good service here link
kingalew
Posted 09/10/2013 - 23:56 Link
Great, thanks Barrie. Bonus that I can drop the kit off to him. Will email Alan too.

Lew
www.flickr.com/photos/kingalew/
Current - K3, Sigma 10-20mm, Tamron 70-300mm, Pentax DA 35mm f2.4, Pentax DA 18-55mm WR, Pentax DA 50-200mm WR, Pentax Da 50mm f1.8, Sigma manual 28mm, Pentax Ltd 40mm f2.8, Sigma 70mm f2.8 Macro.

Add Comment

To leave a comment - Log in to Pentax User or create a new account.



Proudly supporting Pentax User

Samsung Logo Asahi Pentax Logo