Visit MPB Visit MPB Visit MPB

SD Card Compatibility

alfpics
Posted 17/11/2008 - 09:03 Link
Hi!

If you go to the penatx website, there is a pointer to a firmware update to allow SDHC use:
http://www.pentax.co.uk/en/product/18526/body/downloads/Photo_Digital_SLR.html
(For some strange reason, the pointer is in German but the document is in English
What I cannot find is the actual firmware to download - perhaps that is on the international Pentax website?
Hope that helps (a bit)
Andy
Andy
Roscoe
Posted 10/12/2008 - 09:50 Link
Daniel Bridge wrote:
Thanks Andy, amazing what can be done - a 25% reduction in file size seems huge. I wonder if it is truly lossless, or just not too noticable. Just about impossible to try out, but if you could compare identically composed images from the D and DS, would there be a slight reduction in quality due to the compression? (D owners nod knowingly )

But then, better in-camera processing probably more than makes up for that if there is. (D owners look a little less smug )

Dan

Hello Dan,
I'm currently using a 16 Gig Dane Elec SDHC card in my K20D, and it all appears to be fine.

Dane Elec is good memory, as it runs my pc(2Gig DDR 400 Ram).

As there is an issue with the old card readers not having the capacity to read bigger than 2Gig, I had to purchase a new card reader from Maplin.
I suggest that anyone wanting a cheap SDHC card, to look at the
7 day shop as it is tax free. My card cost me £17.75 in total icl' shipping.
Roscoe
Posted 13/12/2008 - 08:57 Link
Roscoe wrote:
Daniel Bridge wrote:
Thanks Andy, amazing what can be done - a 25% reduction in file size seems huge. I wonder if it is truly lossless, or just not too noticable. Just about impossible to try out, but if you could compare identically composed images from the D and DS, would there be a slight reduction in quality due to the compression? (D owners nod knowingly )

But then, better in-camera processing probably more than makes up for that if there is. (D owners look a little less smug )

Dan

Hello Dan,
I'm currently using a 16 Gig Dane Elec SDHC card in my K20D, and it all appears to be fine.

Dane Elec is good memory, as it runs my pc(2Gig DDR 400 Ram).

As there is an issue with the old card readers not having the capacity to read bigger than 2Gig, I had to purchase a new card reader from Maplin.
I suggest that anyone wanting a cheap SDHC card, to look at the
7 day shop as it is tax free. My card cost me £17.75 in total icl' shipping.

Hi Dan,
I forgot to mention my K20D registers 418 shots with this card!
Edited by Roscoe: 15/01/2009 - 14:20
vic cross
Posted 06/02/2009 - 16:04 Link
2TB cards on the way!. Announced at the CES Show in Las Vagas, the SDXC
(Secure Digital eXtended Capacity) standard of memory cards is set to herald a huge jump in capacity with up to 2 Terabytes (2000GB) of storage on offer. With cameras producing larger and larger files,memory cards have to expand their capabilities, and the SDXC spec caters for this, also accelerating read/write speeds to 104MB per sec. with further speeds up to 300MB per sec. soon to be a reality. VISIT www. sdcard.org
This report is in the mag. Digital Photo Issue 113 March 2009.

Question? Which camera manufacturer will be first to use such a beast?

Now thats what I call storage. CHEERS Vic.
Born again biker with lots of Pentax bits. Every day I wake up is a good day. I'm so old I don't even buy green bananas.
alfpics
Posted 06/02/2009 - 16:54 Link
Imagine if that card crashed on you with a few 1000 images on it!
Andy
Andy
Edited by alfpics: 06/02/2009 - 16:54
Steve Chasey
Posted 06/02/2009 - 18:52 Link
Or the time it would take to down load. Bad enough with 4 Gb cards.

Steve
In the Pack - Gripped K5 (SE),K7 & K20, Gripped MZ-S(SE)& MZ-S,DA10-17, DA12-24, DA14, DA*16-50, 50-135, 60-250 & 300mm; FA31mm/43mm/77mm Ltds; Sigma 8-16, 135-400 & 150-500
Half Backs: K10+BG,DA16-45, DA50-200
Backs: LXs,Super As and lots of A, M & K lenses
Impact Subs: 28mm Shift, K 135-600 (the Banahan of Pentax zooms ), 400-600 Reflex
pierovitch
Posted 25/05/2009 - 07:46 Link
Used the new sandisk video card 8GB works well in the K200D and cheaper than an extreme III.
pschlute
Posted 26/05/2009 - 10:31 Link
Is anyone using 8GB or more on their K10 with no problems ?
vic cross
Posted 26/05/2009 - 11:47 Link
Yes I use both 8Gb and 16Gb SDHC cards in my K10 with no problems at all. They are not the expensive ones. The 8Gb ones are DANE-ELEC and the 16Gb ones are TRANSCEND. If I remember correctly all were bought from 7DAY SHOP, or some similar web store. CHEERS Vic.
Born again biker with lots of Pentax bits. Every day I wake up is a good day. I'm so old I don't even buy green bananas.
Roscoe
Posted 26/05/2009 - 19:32 Link
vic cross wrote:
Yes I use both 8Gb and 16Gb SDHC cards in my K10 with no problems at all. They are not the expensive ones. The 8Gb ones are DANE-ELEC and the 16Gb ones are TRANSCEND. If I remember correctly all were bought from 7DAY SHOP, or some similar web store. CHEERS Vic.

Hello Vic,
Any plans to use the 32 Gig Dane Elec SDHC card?

Regards,

Peter
vic cross
Posted 26/05/2009 - 20:31 Link
Hi Roscoe. Near the end of the year when the prices come down (HA HA) I might think about a new K7 and a couple of 32Gb cards (If the pension will stretch that far) for my golden wedding cruise around the Caribbean. I know it looks like I'm showing off (Well a little bit) but my wife says she wants to do something memorable for our anniversary so I'd better go fully prepaired to take approx 1.000.000.000.000.000.000. photos. I'll still take my trusty Vosonic downloader and download each night but just in case I'm to drunk a big card or two will come in handy. Did you see my post 06/02/09 just 7 posts back about the new 2Tb cards. Now thats what I call storage. CHEERS Vic.
Edited by vic cross: 26/05/2009 - 20:32
Posted 24/06/2010 - 20:46 Link
I was going to start another thread, but as this one is here, I will add
Do you think that Pentax will do a firmware update for the new SDXC cards?

They did a firmware update for the Ds so that HC cards could be used, but I would find it unlikely they would do an XC firmware for the Ds. This however as even one of my 8GB cards will suffice on it, and even 32GB SDHC will be more than enough for a 6MP camera.

But, what about my K10D and K20D? The K10D is probably borderline and 32GB might be more than good enough, but the K20D? If you shoot RAW +4 star Jpeg that I do (and no asking why, I just do) then a firmware upgrade to XC will be a welcome update.
However, knowing Pentax and their updates, I may think that the K20D will conk out before any firmware is available.
But they did an HC for the Ds so maybe an XC for the K20D.

Here's hoping.
Some Cameras
dougf8
Posted 24/06/2010 - 21:31 Link
Looks like old cards will work in new devices BUT
New SDXC cards will not be backwards compatible for existing devices.

http://www.sdcard.org/consumers/faq/#sdxc_compat
Lurking is shirking.!
Edited by dougf8: 24/06/2010 - 21:31
Posted 24/06/2010 - 21:40 Link
I did read that, and the announcement is similar to HC when that came out.
However, there is no reason for it not to be compatable with older cameras with a firmware upgrade. It is only the operating system (ie firmware on cameras) that need to be upgraded to allow the reading of external devices (ie the card itself) to be done.

The only exception in recent times has been USB, but even then USB 1.1 cards could read USB 2.0 devices albeit at 1.1 speeds. and vice versa.

I am sure that a number of SDHC hardware will in time accept SDXC cards with the appropriate software upgrades. SD only however will be a different matter.
Some Cameras
Anvh
Posted 25/06/2010 - 11:47 Link
Problem is that the exFAT is the standard format for SDXC cards, so most likely you need to support that to get a SDXC compatible license.

With some luck though you can simply format SDXC card to FAT32 and use it in SDHC device but it depends on the device if it can read it.
Stefan
Comment Image

K10D, K5
DA* 16-50, DA* 50-135, D-FA 100 Macro, DA 40 Ltd, DA 18-55
AF-540FGZ

Add Comment

To leave a comment - Log in to Pentax User or create a new account.