Scops Owl
Posted 14/10/2009 - 07:30
Link
Love the shots but they all have a green cast, was it the light or perhaps the reflection of the leaves?
Jackie H
K7, K20D, istDS, Optio SV, ME
Most used glass
50mm f1.4, 60-250mm, 28-80mm,
Sigma 105mm 2.8 Macro & Bertha 50-500
K7, K20D, istDS, Optio SV, ME
Most used glass
50mm f1.4, 60-250mm, 28-80mm,
Sigma 105mm 2.8 Macro & Bertha 50-500
Posted 14/10/2009 - 11:56
Link
Like Jackie I really like the photos but the green cast isn't working for me
Posted 14/10/2009 - 12:03
Link
Still very green. Is your monitor calibrated?
G
G
Keywords: Charming, polite, and generally agreeable.
Posted 14/10/2009 - 12:36
Link
George Lazarette wrote:
Still very green. Is your monitor calibrated?
G
Hello George, I note your question of calibration. I have, in the past used a Spider pro. Thes days I dont bother. I download from the card to the HDD. I open up the jpg in PS, crop or square-up, do curves and sometimes sharpen slightly. If I trust that the camera will reproduce what it see's, most of the time, am I missing some thing that should be done?Still very green. Is your monitor calibrated?
G
When I used to print my images, I never touched the colour settings or adjustments and always ignored the screen influence. The prints always seemed to come out good. I now get photo prints done locally here in Doha and again, I don't tamper with colour balance.
As there is a green cast on the owl image, was it there to start with or has something confused the camera?
Best regards
Too far from a shore.
Posted 14/10/2009 - 17:56
Link
Get rid of the green cast and crop some of the background out and you'll have a good set of Owl photos.
The older I get the faster I was.
Dave
K-3 II, K10D, DA16-85, DA*50-135, DA12-24, DA18-55, DA 50, Sigma EX DG 70mm Macro, Sigma 70-300mm, Sigma DG 120-400mm APO HSM.
Metz 58 AF-1.
My Flickr link
Dave
K-3 II, K10D, DA16-85, DA*50-135, DA12-24, DA18-55, DA 50, Sigma EX DG 70mm Macro, Sigma 70-300mm, Sigma DG 120-400mm APO HSM.
Metz 58 AF-1.
My Flickr link
Posted 14/10/2009 - 18:55
Link
Thanks everyone for the comments - you're right there is a green cast. I took the pictures a little while ago and wasn't sure how to fix it - I think it stems from the leaves rather than anything that has confused the camera. The owl was in a hole in a tree and the whole area was enclosed by a canopy of foliage with the sun (such as it was) reasonably overhead so I guess the leaves have coloured the light (?). That said, I have not consciously calibrated my monitor either and I think I ought to...
I have got used to photoshop since having first 'developed' these pictures, so I think it's probably time to go back over them and try and fix the colour
Thanks again
Regards
Mat
I have got used to photoshop since having first 'developed' these pictures, so I think it's probably time to go back over them and try and fix the colour
Thanks again
Regards
Mat
Posted 14/10/2009 - 19:02
Link
K10D wrote:
When I used to print my images, I never touched the colour settings or adjustments and always ignored the screen influence. The prints always seemed to come out good. I now get photo prints done locally here in Doha and again, I don't tamper with colour balance.
As there is a green cast on the owl image, was it there to start with or has something confused the camera?
Best regards
I am not George but either natural(which I doubt) or in camera (which I doubt again) or during PP (which I suspect) it still looks not good.George Lazarette wrote:
Still very green. Is your monitor calibrated?
G
Hello George, I note your question of calibration. I have, in the past used a Spider pro. Thes days I dont bother. I download from the card to the HDD. I open up the jpg in PS, crop or square-up, do curves and sometimes sharpen slightly. If I trust that the camera will reproduce what it see's, most of the time, am I missing some thing that should be done?Still very green. Is your monitor calibrated?
G
When I used to print my images, I never touched the colour settings or adjustments and always ignored the screen influence. The prints always seemed to come out good. I now get photo prints done locally here in Doha and again, I don't tamper with colour balance.
As there is a green cast on the owl image, was it there to start with or has something confused the camera?
Best regards
One click correction in elements on the white face shows how it should look.

If someone has the ability to calibrate their screen they should do it.
Not only for a predictable and correct colour output but also for a correct representation of contrast levels. Visible dark details or highlight details. Remember the discussion about Peters waterfall picture were someone could not see any detail in the dark parts?
If you can not see all the different zones on your monitor (specially the difference between Zone 1 & 2 on the darkest side and zone 9 & 10 on the brightest side, you have a monitor issue.

Sorry Matt, I have no intention to hijack your thread, but it seemed relevant.
Posted 14/10/2009 - 19:08
Link
Thanks, Martin.
K10D, the reason I asked the calibration question is that the pictures are so green I am surprised Matt didn't see it. It suggests to me that the monitor is either faulty or in need of some serious re-setting.
G
K10D, the reason I asked the calibration question is that the pictures are so green I am surprised Matt didn't see it. It suggests to me that the monitor is either faulty or in need of some serious re-setting.
G
Keywords: Charming, polite, and generally agreeable.
Posted 14/10/2009 - 20:35
Link
Have seen this before when someone took a shot of a young girl in the woods under a canopy of leaves, the child was tinted green - so I do think it is the ambient light and not the camera. Why it may not have been noticed is because that was what the eye saw and therefore the result looked correct at least on first viewing to the photographer.
Jackie H
K7, K20D, istDS, Optio SV, ME
Most used glass
50mm f1.4, 60-250mm, 28-80mm,
Sigma 105mm 2.8 Macro & Bertha 50-500
K7, K20D, istDS, Optio SV, ME
Most used glass
50mm f1.4, 60-250mm, 28-80mm,
Sigma 105mm 2.8 Macro & Bertha 50-500
Posted 14/10/2009 - 20:59
Link
Thanks Jackie - I think there is definitely something in what you say. However, on the plus side, I have now adjusted my monitor in any case, and I have learned how to fix a colour cast, which I hadn't done before (slightly embarrassingly now I realise how easy it is to do!). So I have had a learning experience for which I am very grateful
And I have now tweaked all my pics of this owl...
Thanks again everyone
Mat
And I have now tweaked all my pics of this owl...
Thanks again everyone
Mat
Posted 14/10/2009 - 21:14
Link
And could we please see your tweaked pictures, 'cause they are truly wonderful pics of an owl, it's just the green cast that spoils them. My favourite is #1; it seems to look a bit sorry for itself there.
Dodging and burning are steps to take care of mistakes God made in establishing tonal relationships. - Ansel Adams -
Add Comment
To leave a comment - Log in to Pentax User or create a new account.




1474 posts
17 years
West London,
UK
[img]http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2659/3875091848_8e7a187643_b.jpg
[/img]
They were taken a little while back all with K10D and Sigma 70-300mm lens. Hope you like them
Best Regards
Mat W
My Flickr: link