Artist Point
Posted 12/10/2009 - 00:19
Link
As the image appears on my screen, it first appears as a small mountain lake, then I scroll down to see the lower slopes - you have really captured the scale of the falls, a staggering image. And I like the darkness.
Posted 12/10/2009 - 01:40
Link
Wow fantastic image, Truly heart warming
https://www.flickr.com/photos/carlosimagery/
http://twitter.com/foxycce
http://foxycce.ontheroad.to/carlo-does-thailand-tour
Karma is Just Cause and Effect - Do Good, Good will Happen
http://twitter.com/foxycce
http://foxycce.ontheroad.to/carlo-does-thailand-tour
Karma is Just Cause and Effect - Do Good, Good will Happen
Posted 12/10/2009 - 13:11
Link
Very nice!
Why is it so dark at the top? (Not criticising, it looks great dark, I was just wondering)
Why is it so dark at the top? (Not criticising, it looks great dark, I was just wondering)
Tim
AF - Pentax K5, Sigma 10-20/4-5.6, Tamron 17-50/2.8, Sigma 30/1.4, Sigma 70-200/2.8, Tamron 70-300/4-5.6
MF - Vivitar CF 28/2.8, Tamron AD2 90/2.5, MTO 1000/11
Stuff - Metz 58 AF1, Cactus v4, Nikon SB24, Raynox 150, Sigma 1.4x TC, Sigma 2x TC, Kenko 2x macro TC, Redsnapper 283 tripod, iMac 27”, Macbook Pro 17”, iPad, iPhone 3G
Flickr • Fluidr • PPG • Street • Portfolio site
Feel free to edit any of my posted photos! If I post a photo for critique, I want brutal honesty. If you don't like it, please say so and tell me why!
AF - Pentax K5, Sigma 10-20/4-5.6, Tamron 17-50/2.8, Sigma 30/1.4, Sigma 70-200/2.8, Tamron 70-300/4-5.6
MF - Vivitar CF 28/2.8, Tamron AD2 90/2.5, MTO 1000/11
Stuff - Metz 58 AF1, Cactus v4, Nikon SB24, Raynox 150, Sigma 1.4x TC, Sigma 2x TC, Kenko 2x macro TC, Redsnapper 283 tripod, iMac 27”, Macbook Pro 17”, iPad, iPhone 3G
Flickr • Fluidr • PPG • Street • Portfolio site
Feel free to edit any of my posted photos! If I post a photo for critique, I want brutal honesty. If you don't like it, please say so and tell me why!
Posted 12/10/2009 - 13:34
Link
thoughton wrote:
Very nice!
Why is it so dark at the top? (Not criticising, it looks great dark, I was just wondering)
Well it is pretty dark all over. The result of an exposure that tried to keep the highlights from blowing..as it is they are borderline.Very nice!
Why is it so dark at the top? (Not criticising, it looks great dark, I was just wondering)
I did have a go at lightening up the dark areas in pp, but it didn't work in my opinion, I liked this moody shot more.
Peter
My Flickr page
My Flickr page
Posted 12/10/2009 - 13:38
Link
Great capture Peter. Two things are bothering me a bit. Actually one....
I can live with the blown out river.I expect contrast levels are to high to cope with that. But the green mush top left of the waterfall is really spoiling the shot. It looks like Algae or ......leakage of a giant marker.
I can live with the blown out river.I expect contrast levels are to high to cope with that. But the green mush top left of the waterfall is really spoiling the shot. It looks like Algae or ......leakage of a giant marker.
Posted 12/10/2009 - 14:02
Link
Martin
I do remember it when I was there, and a quick scan of others' photos on Flickr all show the green streak. I must now find out what it is.
I do remember it when I was there, and a quick scan of others' photos on Flickr all show the green streak. I must now find out what it is.
Peter
My Flickr page
My Flickr page
Posted 12/10/2009 - 14:07
Link
From the National Park Service website Q+A:
Q. What causes the green stripe in the Lower Falls?
A. The green stripe is actually the natural color of the water. There is a notch in the lip of the falls where the stripe is, making the water deeper at that point and keeping the water from becoming turbulent as it goes over the edge. The color of the water is a function of the depth, the angle at which you are looking at it, and the amount of light at that point.
Q. What causes the green stripe in the Lower Falls?
A. The green stripe is actually the natural color of the water. There is a notch in the lip of the falls where the stripe is, making the water deeper at that point and keeping the water from becoming turbulent as it goes over the edge. The color of the water is a function of the depth, the angle at which you are looking at it, and the amount of light at that point.
Peter
My Flickr page
My Flickr page
Posted 12/10/2009 - 14:15
Link
I am sure, it is correct. Still....I think it is a scare on the face of a beautiful scene. Obviously....my taste only.
Posted 12/10/2009 - 14:25
Link
Its a really exciting picture but I think Martin is right, the green just looks weird and a mistake. I know, however, that I would have difficulty in the ethics of changing it. Mono perhaps?
Ken
“We must avoid however, snapping away, shooting quickly and without thought, overloading ourselves with unnecessary images that clutter our memory and diminish the clarity of the whole.” - Henri Cartier-Bresson -
“We must avoid however, snapping away, shooting quickly and without thought, overloading ourselves with unnecessary images that clutter our memory and diminish the clarity of the whole.” - Henri Cartier-Bresson -
Posted 12/10/2009 - 14:41
Link
Don't know Ken, if mono would work. I think there is to much potential in the original version. Personally....I would not dream of going the mono route on this one. But....I am just the guy who always goes for aestheticly pleasing contrary to technical perfect. As I said before...just my view on it. Nonetheless.....A great picture as it is.
Posted 12/10/2009 - 15:36
Link
Amazing photo Peter, wished that I made it
gartmore wrote:
Mono perhaps?
Selectively select that part and pull down the saturation might do the trick, after all the brightness level around it should be the same right?
Mono perhaps?
Posted 12/10/2009 - 18:01
Link
Can someone else with a Mac look at this pic and tell me what you see? I was looking at it this morning on my Macbook Pro and it looks almost entirely black with just the water bits visible. I do keep the brightness on my laptop quite low but I didn't think it was that dim!
Now I'm looking at it on a cheap Dell analog LCD (attached to a windows box) and it is MUCH brighter (i.e. there are no completely black parts anywhere on the photo).
Peter that is why i was asking about the darkness, I was guessing it was a shot taken in the shadow of a mountain or something, and the water was being illuminated by just a small spot of sun.
Now I'm looking at it on a cheap Dell analog LCD (attached to a windows box) and it is MUCH brighter (i.e. there are no completely black parts anywhere on the photo).
Peter that is why i was asking about the darkness, I was guessing it was a shot taken in the shadow of a mountain or something, and the water was being illuminated by just a small spot of sun.
Tim
AF - Pentax K5, Sigma 10-20/4-5.6, Tamron 17-50/2.8, Sigma 30/1.4, Sigma 70-200/2.8, Tamron 70-300/4-5.6
MF - Vivitar CF 28/2.8, Tamron AD2 90/2.5, MTO 1000/11
Stuff - Metz 58 AF1, Cactus v4, Nikon SB24, Raynox 150, Sigma 1.4x TC, Sigma 2x TC, Kenko 2x macro TC, Redsnapper 283 tripod, iMac 27”, Macbook Pro 17”, iPad, iPhone 3G
Flickr • Fluidr • PPG • Street • Portfolio site
Feel free to edit any of my posted photos! If I post a photo for critique, I want brutal honesty. If you don't like it, please say so and tell me why!
AF - Pentax K5, Sigma 10-20/4-5.6, Tamron 17-50/2.8, Sigma 30/1.4, Sigma 70-200/2.8, Tamron 70-300/4-5.6
MF - Vivitar CF 28/2.8, Tamron AD2 90/2.5, MTO 1000/11
Stuff - Metz 58 AF1, Cactus v4, Nikon SB24, Raynox 150, Sigma 1.4x TC, Sigma 2x TC, Kenko 2x macro TC, Redsnapper 283 tripod, iMac 27”, Macbook Pro 17”, iPad, iPhone 3G
Flickr • Fluidr • PPG • Street • Portfolio site
Feel free to edit any of my posted photos! If I post a photo for critique, I want brutal honesty. If you don't like it, please say so and tell me why!
Posted 12/10/2009 - 18:37
Link
Tim, you need to calibrate your screen, then you can be sure that what you are seeing is what the photographer intended.
No need to pay money, there are various free modules on the Internet.
G
No need to pay money, there are various free modules on the Internet.
G
Keywords: Charming, polite, and generally agreeable.
Posted 12/10/2009 - 20:26
Link
Tim
The image on my screen (calibrated with a Pantone Huey) shows very little total black. It obviously is a dark image but there is discernable detail in 90% of the dark areas
The image on my screen (calibrated with a Pantone Huey) shows very little total black. It obviously is a dark image but there is discernable detail in 90% of the dark areas
Peter
My Flickr page
My Flickr page
Add Comment
To leave a comment - Log in to Pentax User or create a new account.



5159 posts
20 years
Surrey
My Flickr page